Tags:
[OP]
Mar 4, 2010
32 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Wall Mount Umbrella

Hey pals,

If I've snuck this post into the wrong spot please remove and/or let me know.

I've been on the hunt for a wall-mount umbrella for a year or so and I can't see to find any except for this one https://www.wayfair.ca/10-Tucson-Wall-U ... W1021.html which has varying reviews all over and seems to range in price significantly everywhere. That link is the only one that I am to purchase in Canada.

Am I searching for the umbrella under the wrong name? Can someone shed a light on this purchase for me? I feel that spending $400+ on an umbrella that is available in the US for approximately $150 is wrong. Please send me in the right direction.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
It seems the Mission Hill's umbrella isn't widely available anymore, maybe that's why the price is high on Wayfair.

Paraflex also makes one ... but it's even more expensive.

Lastly, you'll have to be careful mounting such an umbrella... you'll definitely need to hit a stud or else the umbrella will rip away your brick facade. Hitting a stud from the outside wall can be a big challenge...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36183 posts
10323 upvotes
Ottawa
As I see it, I would not use a wall mount umbrella. The installation instructions (on the page which you have linked) require you mount it to a main wall stud. These are normally only 2X6, meaning there is only 1 1/2 inch edge surface to mount the bracket. This is not very much and any wind will cause tremendous strain on and could damage the stud.
I, personally, would not use this system.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1437 upvotes
Brampton
Maybe get an awning instead? I've never seen an umbrella attached to the house before...
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Mar 4, 2010
32 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you everyone for the replies. It is for a small space in my yard that cannot fit a table and chairs and an umbrella. Thank you for the help.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8937 posts
718 upvotes
Gumb wrote: Thank you everyone for the replies. It is for a small space in my yard that cannot fit a table and chairs and an umbrella. Thank you for the help.
Can't even fit a table and chairs ???
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3226 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
rdx wrote: Can't even fit a table and chairs ???
AND umbrella.

I've heard lots of bad stuff about those self-supporting umbrellas. We'd like one for our patio, but good ones are expensive, and a strong wind gust from the wrong direction will rip it apart. We're probably going with a metal gazebo instead.

For a small space, what about a sun/shade sail instead: