Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4564 posts
1059 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Wallets

Looking to get a new wallet after 15 years.

What's new/trendy/functional these days?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1023 upvotes
I don't know what your current wallet & lifestyle are.

I carry a minimalist type wallet like this.
Since all I carry is my license, HC, Debit, 2CC & sometime small bill like $50.
All my other cards like store program cards are within my phone through the apps. Or I keep it inside another card holder that is kept inside the car ie Costco card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4564 posts
1059 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jay-em wrote: I don't know what your current wallet & lifestyle are.

All my other cards like store program cards are within my phone through the apps. Or I keep it inside another card holder that is kept inside the car ie Costco card.
I'd say I wanna slim down on what I carry, and pretty much looking into kinda what you described, and separate out the bulk (store cards) to stuff I actually need to carry (driver's licence, etc). Want to change from a brick to a minimal design + card holder.

What app do you use?
Oct 10, 2004
854 posts
168 upvotes
Winnipeg
I am a fan of the Bellroy's too. Well made, well thought out and durable. If that's what you're after, they also go on sale a couple times per year.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4375 posts
2668 upvotes
Gotham
enwhyRFD wrote: I'd say I wanna slim down on what I carry, and pretty much looking into kinda what you described, and separate out the bulk (store cards) to stuff I actually need to carry (driver's licence, etc). Want to change from a brick to a minimal design + card holder.

What app do you use?
You can store cards, including gift cards and loyalty cards in Google Pay (or Apple Pay). I have a wallet that only holds cards when I carry a wallet. I don't carry cash.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9828 posts
1030 upvotes
Mississauga
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 35-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Nov 9, 2015
17 posts
Scotland
I was thinking about doing the same recently, slimming down my wallet to something with just what i need. When Apple Pay is getting used more and more.

However, the one i was looking at was a Mackage one for women. Im a guy.

Would it be weird if i was to buy this CHAC zippered leather cardholder and use it?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1858 posts
1023 upvotes
DownJacketFan wrote: I was thinking about doing the same recently, slimming down my wallet to something with just what i need. When Apple Pay is getting used more and more.

Would it be weird if i was to buy this CHAC zippered leather cardholder and use it?

Thanks.
Buy what you like & use'em however you want to. (no judgement here)
I actually like that wallet for the odd times you got coins & multiple bills. (think farmer's market)
Another would be going for a walk and/or going for a run & you just want to bring your house key(s)+cards.
Endless possibilities.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9149 posts
1285 upvotes
Montreal, QC
DownJacketFan wrote: I was thinking about doing the same recently, slimming down my wallet to something with just what i need. When Apple Pay is getting used more and more.

Thanks.
I've almost never paid attention to the wallet of the people around me and even the few times I did, the first question on my mind was never "is that a women's wallet? hmm let me look at the pockets and find out".

If you like it by all means buy it and use it. It's a black leather zip wallet, by all means it'll go unnoticed by the majority of the population.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9152 posts
3406 upvotes
I have been using this Elephant Wallet for years now. Love it. Keeps all my cards and bills ( not that I every carry cash, it is 2020 in a couple days) in a neat and tidy to use package easily fit in your front pocket.

https://elephantwallet.com/products/e8-wallet-navy-blue

If / when it finally dies, and since cash is no longer required in this day and age I will likely replace it with just the single band card strap one, which I already have, it came in the kit I got for Christmas some years ago.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14777 posts
6016 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm using a Bellroy Note wallet, and it serves me fine as a more traditional styled wallet. I plan to switch to a card holder style wallet (basically a case that holds cards).

Was thinking of another Bellroy Card Pocket like this
3c48925a95deb7b437991f3a146726a00c8d6da95ac066dde88c36362e9d5178.jpg

I like the feeling of a leather wallet rather than some high tech looking thing which is rigid...it still feels more satisfying to pull out something made of leather than some carbon fibre thing.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
jay-em wrote: @enwhyRFD
I currently use stocard app.
you can easily make your own offline stocard app, just use a bar code generator, type in all your loyalty cards into one word document, with the bar code next to them, and print it off, fold it up into a wallet size paper and stick it in your wallet, when the cashier asks to scan your loyalty card, just whip out the print out, and all your cards are on one page, easier to carry than 10+ loyalty cards, you can even use colours and logos and ish,
Hi
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
then get a wallet with rfid block i have one and it works great
Hi
Jul 8, 2012
898 posts
213 upvotes
VANCOUVER
jay-em wrote: I don't know what your current wallet & lifestyle are.

You can have your Costco card on your phone, just go to membership so they can verify it's you and your phone. Haven't done it myself but heard it's pretty straightforward. Bring app up and show a QR code.

Carry a pop-up wallet from PacSafe that holds 5 cards, has an outside pocket for my employee card, inside pocket for my transit card, and inside pocket that holds a few notes. Only thing that I sometimes need is more room in my notes pockets when I withdrawal a whole bunch of fives to make it look like I'm loaded...seriously though, it gets filled up pretty quick if you are used to placing receipts in there so daily removals are necessary.
Nov 9, 2015
17 posts
Scotland
Took the plunge and bought the Mackage wallet.

I figure it will be good for going to gigs.

Got a great deal as well.

Might even come my daily wallet if it’s good enough.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11959 posts
2463 upvotes
I use this. It's not as popular as other slim wallets, but works for me:

https://decadentminimalist.com/

There's a satisfying 'click' when putting cards back in. I also have a card that is an RFID blocker and the money clip attachment. I got the 12 card version and been using it for 5-6 years and while I've scratched it up, it still works like if it was new. It should go without saying, but this is a front pocket wallet only.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
2815 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
I have this : https://secrid.com/en-global/wallets/slimwallet

I bought this wallet after watching a youtuber's review without seeing the actual product and at that time I was using an old gucci wallet that was falling apart on me. I bought the 6 card version where I have cards that I frequently use and other cards that I put in the inner slots. Its compact, it has a rfid blocker, I get compliments from cashiers whenever the cards pop out plus they have a three year warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4103 posts
1596 upvotes
Google for George Costanza 's wallet.

That's what I have.