• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2020 10:09 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1189 posts
1169 upvotes

[Walmart] [250 or 350$] Netgear Orbi Mesh wifi

This deal is technically buried in an existing thread but this liquidation price appears to be in A LOT of locations. I don't think the RBK23 has ever been this cheap.

AC2200 RBK23 (1 + 2 Satellites). 250$, was 400$
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=60644913129

AC3000 RBK50 (1 + 1 Satellite). 350$, was 500$
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=60644911647,

Good luck, I've had excellent support for other Netgear products. I opted for the RBK23 mainly because it's cheaper and I highly doubt I'll take advantage of the higher speeds. It was a tough call however,
the price/value equation is there..
Orbi.jpg
430 replies
Apr 8, 2018
86 posts
40 upvotes
Out of stock everywhere. Late to the party
Aug 9, 2014
120 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hatij18 wrote: Out of stock everywhere. Late to the party
It says that for the status, but you could see that some stores have 1 or 2 in stock. Maybe we could try calling in to check?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1087 posts
547 upvotes
House is approx 2700sqft. Rogers modem is on the main floor at the back of the house. 2nd floor front of the house has poor wifi.

Do I just get the $250 bundle and bridge my modem or go full blast on the $350 model.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1189 posts
1169 upvotes
Hatij18 wrote: Out of stock everywhere. Late to the party
Like the others said, my store said out of stock as well and you can see them in the pic ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4882 posts
906 upvotes
Superman_2099 wrote: House is approx 2700sqft. Rogers modem is on the main floor at the back of the house. 2nd floor front of the house has poor wifi.

Do I just get the $250 bundle and bridge my modem or go full blast on the $350 model.
the 2 pack will be more than enough - if you check the netgear site it will tell you the models and sq footage it will cover.

great router - be sure to turn off/disable the DDos protection as it sends false positives and knocks your internet off. Aside from that super fast wifi great speed no dead spots in the house. I got the 2 pack on clearance at costco and its been rock solid.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3302 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
akz wrote: the 2 pack will be more than enough - if you check the netgear site it will tell you the models and sq footage it will cover.

great router - be sure to turn off/disable the DDos protection as it sends false positives and knocks your internet off. Aside from that super fast wifi great speed no dead spots in the house. I got the 2 pack on clearance at costco and its been rock solid.
The two pack is $350 and is ac3000

The three pack is $250 and is ac2200
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4882 posts
906 upvotes
Hatij18 wrote: How much was it at Costco? It rbk50?
$149.97 RBK22
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2295 posts
1028 upvotes
Mississauga
My review from using both devices (I posted this in another thread, but might help people here too). RBK50 can be had for $330 at Dell right now, with free shipping

TL:DR - Yes the RBK 50 for $80 more is a no brainer. Get satellites to attach to it if your house is massive or you have a big yard.

I found it worth it (I bought both and tested them one after another, in the exact same spots) and I found the RBK50 pushed out way better signal. I have 100+ connected smart devices and found less lag when giving my Google Assistants commands like 'turn off kitchen lights' etc. For $330, its a really good price. I know people can complain about wifi 6 vs wifi 5.. but it was like when AC came to life.. took a while for devices and laptops to get all refreshed. TBH, I was going to buy the RBK852 in the US which is the Orbi AX, but with the current exchange rate.. its almost $1k CDN... I don't think the extra bit of wifi speed is going to be worth it.. I'll wait for more wifi 6 devices to come out and push that price down.. right now they are asking way too much for marginal performance. How I think of it for now

AC2200 - 400-500mbs Price $250 Performance gain n/a baseline
AC3000 - 500-700mbs Price $330 Performance gain 25-40%
AX6000 - 800-1000mbs Price $900 performance gain over 2200 100% performance gain over AC3000 - 40-60%

Is the AX worth 4x or 3x the price... I don't think so, but you be the judge.. its your money. Keep in mind, those speeds need the corresponding signal.. so you'll need AX devices to hit those (I ain't ready to shelf all my existing shit to do it).

One thing to note, the AX nighthawk did sent higher AC wifi power (at the closer ranges) and handles more users/devices nicely.. but again, the price premium is double when you factor in the mesh network (i.e. need more than 1 or 2 extra devices), so its a pass...

TBH, (again my amateur review) I did buy the nighthawk AX and tested that... it was insanely fast with the Iphone 11 Pro (which is AX) but when I took it to another floor... the signal was crap (my house is around 3000 sq ft). Compared to the RBK50... I got slower, but consistent speed. Am I maxing out my Rogers gigabit internet, with the RBK50... no, but I'm hitting the bottle neck speeds over wifi. The ethernet backhaul is amazing for office/server units and I do need more than 1 additional port (if you use the AC2200, one port is for the incoming ethernet, leaving you with 1 outbound for a device, which doesn't quite cut it for me).

Hope this helps people and kills the whole Wifi 5 vs 6... if you haven't tried it in your house for yourself.. keep your comments or false hopes to yourself. Newer isn't always better, but in this tech case, newer requires upgrades across the board to truly see the benefit. I will get wifi 6 eventually, but I personally don't think wifi is something tech early adoption benefits from (unlike smartphones and tvs etc.)
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3349 posts
1257 upvotes
Brampton
Will buy/trade for a rbk23 satellite if you only need the main plus one Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
nada
May 7, 2017
32 posts
276 upvotes
@vinne1990, I see the price of RBK50 at dell as $399. Can you please post the link where you see $330. Much appreciated !!!
vinnie1990 wrote: My review from using both devices (I posted this in another thread, but might help people here too). RBK50 can be had for $330 at Dell right now, with free shipping

TL:DR - Yes the RBK 50 for $80 more is a no brainer. Get satellites to attach to it if your house is massive or you have a big yard.

I found it worth it (I bought both and tested them one after another, in the exact same spots) and I found the RBK50 pushed out way better signal. I have 100+ connected smart devices and found less lag when giving my Google Assistants commands like 'turn off kitchen lights' etc. For $330, its a really good price. I know people can complain about wifi 6 vs wifi 5.. but it was like when AC came to life.. took a while for devices and laptops to get all refreshed. TBH, I was going to buy the RBK852 in the US which is the Orbi AX, but with the current exchange rate.. its almost $1k CDN... I don't think the extra bit of wifi speed is going to be worth it.. I'll wait for more wifi 6 devices to come out and push that price down.. right now they are asking way too much for marginal performance. How I think of it for now

AC2200 - 400-500mbs Price $250 Performance gain n/a baseline
AC3000 - 500-700mbs Price $330 Performance gain 25-40%
AX6000 - 800-1000mbs Price $900 performance gain over 2200 100% performance gain over AC3000 - 40-60%

Is the AX worth 4x or 3x the price... I don't think so, but you be the judge.. its your money. Keep in mind, those speeds need the corresponding signal.. so you'll need AX devices to hit those (I ain't ready to shelf all my existing shit to do it).

One thing to note, the AX nighthawk did sent higher AC wifi power (at the closer ranges) and handles more users/devices nicely.. but again, the price premium is double when you factor in the mesh network (i.e. need more than 1 or 2 extra devices), so its a pass...

TBH, (again my amateur review) I did buy the nighthawk AX and tested that... it was insanely fast with the Iphone 11 Pro (which is AX) but when I took it to another floor... the signal was crap (my house is around 3000 sq ft). Compared to the RBK50... I got slower, but consistent speed. Am I maxing out my Rogers gigabit internet, with the RBK50... no, but I'm hitting the bottle neck speeds over wifi. The ethernet backhaul is amazing for office/server units and I do need more than 1 additional port (if you use the AC2200, one port is for the incoming ethernet, leaving you with 1 outbound for a device, which doesn't quite cut it for me).

Hope this helps people and kills the whole Wifi 5 vs 6... if you haven't tried it in your house for yourself.. keep your comments or false hopes to yourself. Newer isn't always better, but in this tech case, newer requires upgrades across the board to truly see the benefit. I will get wifi 6 eventually, but I personally don't think wifi is something tech early adoption benefits from (unlike smartphones and tvs etc.)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2295 posts
1028 upvotes
Mississauga
if you go to Dell Work (its actually another portal, google it). Put the orbi in the cart, add coupon code "Welcome15%" and it will be $330. GL!~
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Mar 11, 2017
76 posts
19 upvotes
vinnie1990 wrote: if you go to Dell Work (its actually another portal, google it). Put the orbi in the cart, add coupon code "Welcome15%" and it will be $330. GL!~
I'm getting $340 with the Dell for Work site and the coupon code. Thanks for the tip!