Hot Deals

[Walmart] [250 or 350$] Netgear Orbi Mesh wifi

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 10:15 pm
Dec 26, 2017
291 posts
185 upvotes
Pickering
pooper wrote: I can't help with separating the SSID's as I don't do that sorry.

As far as locking in the FW this is what you do in Telnet to each device:

You can also block access to fw.updates1.netgear.com if you have the capability, which I do on a Sonicwall.
i figure it out and finally able to make it 2 SSID
Last edited by Shabby1211 on Jun 3rd, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koodo 9 GB = $40
Fido 75u = $32.5
Nov 30, 2005
166 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
four_core wrote: Is the RBK23 ($250) worth it over the Deco M4 3-pack ($170) for $80 more? Probably with a wireless backhaul. No need for crazy gigabit speeds or anything, just something that will cover a ~6000 sq. Ft house reliably.
The RBK53 advertises coverage of up to 7500 sq. ft and in my case with the basement it covers 5400 sq. ft. easily.
Your house is 6000 sq. ft and with basement its a total of 9000 sq. ft (assuming you have a 2 storey house).
RBK23 advertises coverage of up to 6000 sq. ft. so I think it may not be adequate for you unless you don't put a a satellite in the basement and put two on one floor.
Mar 11, 2017
76 posts
18 upvotes
punkrockdude85 wrote: London Argyle Walmart had the RBK50 mis-priced as the RBK23. Not sure if they all were mis-priced as they were all tied up with the anti-steal spider stuff, but worth a check. There were 4 Orbi boxes left (after I took mine)(not sure of models, but were definitely 23 or 50). Picked up earlier today.
So I assume you got the RBK50? ;-)
Mar 11, 2017
76 posts
18 upvotes
pooper wrote: For those that don't know, there are some tricks you can do with this family of Orbi's:
-
  • Downgrade and lock in a firmware that works for you and prevents future updates. Netgear are notorious for releasing bodged firmware that screws your shit up in all sorts of ways. Unfortunately Orbi's are rigged to update FW autonomously. If anyone needs to know let me know I will post the links.
    I'm running an RBK50 setup with four satellites, no hardware backbone, daisy chain topology on Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.34. System Uptime since I applied the FW lock: 143:03:14:58
  • Debug screen with telnet enable and extra widgits: [orbi device IP]/debug.htm
daisy chain topology as in mesh? or still hub and spoke?
leafian wrote: I bought the RB53K from Costco US in December for $299 US.
Works out to about $410 CDN after taxes and exchange rate.
I have the main one acting as a router on the 2nd floor and wired backhaul satellites on 1st floor and basement.
My house is about 3600 sq. ft.
First thing I did was flash Voxel's firmware on it.
It improves the thoughput of the Orbi, makes it more reliable, no more bad auto-updates from Netgear and adds more features.
Disable Circle and Armour services from running too. Lots of stuff you can do.
The login page remains the same but now you can sort devices by IP address. Phone app remains the same.
It allows you to separate 2.4 and 5 GHz bands but I didn't because I didn't need to and why would you?

I don't have dead spots anymore and and my wifi coverage is much better in my backyard now.
The only problem I have is my guest network.
Sometimes my TP-Link devices (2.4 GHz) have to be re-linked to Google Home.
Not sure if that is a Google or Orbi guest network problem.
I have a 2.4 GHz Tailwind garage door opener and it's problem free although I only used Google Assistant a couple of times just to test that it works.
Voxel's firmware, I take it this something like DD-WRT (custom firmware) for the RBK50?
Last edited by LawrenceL698367 on Jun 3rd, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3337 posts
2532 upvotes
No Bum Deals
LawrenceL698367 wrote: daisy chain topology as in mesh? or still hub and spoke?
Daisy chain as I have a long leg of property to cover. It works surprisingly well hopping two sats to the router. A slight increase in latency, but you can't really tell when using it.
I should add I only use the Orbi router in AP mode. It's a quite dumbed down setup.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido 0/3 🢀
Mar 11, 2017
76 posts
18 upvotes
pooper wrote: Daisy chain as I have a long leg of property to cover. It works surprisingly well hopping two sats to the router. A slight increase in latency, but you can't really tell when using it.
I should add I only use the Orbi router in AP mode. It's a quite dumbed down setup.
what are the differences with putting the router in AP mode?

The previous thread mentioned that the RBK50 isn't a true mesh system, but hub and spoke. curious how you got the satellites to talk to one another.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3337 posts
2532 upvotes
No Bum Deals
LawrenceL698367 wrote: what are the differences with putting the router in AP mode?
curious how you got the satellites to talk to one another.
AP mode connects directly from LAN port on Orbi to LAN port of your trusted internal network. It does not route WAN traffic.
There is an option to turn on Daisy Chain Topology.
The amount of bandwidth RBK50's have they use the 5Ghz bands to haul data over 'hidden' channels. Correct positioning of satellites and router is essential to maintain a strong path.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido 0/3 🢀
Jul 20, 2009
787 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone able to get the 15% unique code from Dell, I've tried signing up a few emails and nothing
Oct 13, 2008
667 posts
384 upvotes
Mississauga
P0rkchop wrote: Anyone able to get the 15% unique code from Dell, I've tried signing up a few emails and nothing
I got it 2 days after I signed up.
Mar 21, 2010
376 posts
75 upvotes
I got the RBK50 and it's great. I have lots of devices connecting to it (smart switches, robo-vacuums, etc) and have only had to reset it once in the last 8 months.
Jun 24, 2016
265 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
NewsyL wrote: Thanks OP!

Picked up maybe the last RBK50 for $300 from Walmart on Scott Road & 72nd in Delta BC. Clerk had to go out into the back to find it.

They had two of the RBK23 still on the shelf for $250. I considered them but was not sure the satellites have RJ45 ethernet ports on them and knew the RBK50's did.

Can you please post the receipt ?
Jun 10, 2014
31 posts
7 upvotes
North York
does dell 15% email offer code work on this item?
Jan 3, 2013
237 posts
77 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Oakville trafagar & dundas still has 1 AC3000 RBK50 left.
Aug 21, 2016
84 posts
16 upvotes
Debated one of these, but now drinking the kool aid on wifi 6 and hoping a router will be on sale for BF and pick one up then.