[OP]
Feb 27, 2009
92 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto

[Walmart] 26” foldable mountain bike $129

Regular price $248
Seems like a good deal $119 off
Reviews are not great but on Us site its mixed reviews.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 8th, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
38 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
1731 posts
858 upvotes
Vancouver
fold like a paper
Apr 8, 2017
644 posts
398 upvotes
A Turtles Dream in O…
Bad reviews
Can you spare some cutter, me brother?
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14923 posts
1889 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Will also fold the rider?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6857 posts
2678 upvotes
Toronto
Wouldn’t buy this, more to go wrong and doesn’t fold that small (I have a 20” and feel it’s the sweet spot for size / rideability). 38.5lb is a ton and “off-road riding”? This thing will fold with you on it.

For cheap bikes skip the suspension and fold and buy a rigid frame, you’ll be happier.
Dec 4, 2009
175 posts
39 upvotes
GVRD
Super heavy
"NOTHING HAUNTS US LIKE THE THINGS WE DON'T SAY."

-MITCH ALBOM
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2015
1727 posts
924 upvotes
Laval, QC
Very tempting, bad reviews however
What is Walmart return policy for clearances? Same as the standard one?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
2495 posts
1659 upvotes
No Bum Deals
I don't think mountain bike + cheap go well together.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 [both FREE] | 1x Koodo 40/6 [paying $15] | 1x Fido Data 15/3 [FREE - Free GPad] 🢀
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3704 posts
1107 upvotes
Edmonton
Garbage bike like pretty much every bike Walmart sells. Unless you absolutely need a folding bike, I'd avoid this.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2009
92 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart has a good return policy of 90 days.
For $129 it seems like a good deal
Aug 26, 2008
100 posts
31 upvotes
Oakville
Speaking of foldable bikes, anyone here own a Brompton? Is it worth it?
Dec 25, 2007
279 posts
111 upvotes
CALGARY
Chaindrop wrote:
Aug 5th, 2019 11:26 am
Speaking of foldable bikes, anyone here own a Brompton? Is it worth it?
Bromptons are the Rolls Royce of folding bikes. There is certainly some better value bikes out there but nothing with the same cult following. Dahon/Tern..etc offer better value but they likely won't fit into a suitcase.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1166 posts
200 upvotes
Friends don't let friends buy cheap folding bikes.

There are many criteria that are typical for folders. Weight, foldablity, speed, handling, and folded size. All depends on why you want a folding bike over a normal bike. Spend the extra money and get quality.
Nov 29, 2006
976 posts
257 upvotes
This is who it is good for:

When space is a premium. Either you have very limited storage that you can't store a regular bike OR if you need to transport it in your trunk and do not have and do not want any kind of bike rack for your car. For example, if you are in GVR and wanted to take it to Stanley Park and did not want to rent everytime, then a folding bike is great.

Like another poster said, the 20" folds much smaller, and I do prefer that size. However, with that being said, this is a mountain bike "style" and a lot of people just generally prefer the look. It has nothing to do with riding mountain trails.

If you fit into the above group, then OP's price is a great price although the main concern is weight. This is a steel and extremely heavy bike. I would pass personally and find something a little lighter, but expect to pay a premium for that. If you're the type that doesn't mind the weight or taking it in and out of the trunk... I don't think the price gets much cheaper than this for a folding mountain bike. The folding 20" are generally cheaper, but some people HATE how they look.

*edit* The 20" I said were generally cheaper, but they will be at this same price if not more expensive than OP's. That's why this one is a good deal for people that are interested.
Apr 22, 2009
617 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for posting this, OP. I bought this bike a few months ago so went back to Walmart with my receipt and got $135 back in my pocket!

Here's my review of this bike, for those interested:

It's a good bike.

What I mean is that I can get on it and ride from point A to point B. I'm not a bicycle connoisseur. I don't do speed biking. I don't actually bike up and down mountains. I don't do the Tour de France. I'm a casual user who lives in an apartment (no storage space) and doesn't want a bike carrier on my car. So I keep the bike in my trunk (folded, obviously) and it also fits in the back seat. I have a sedan, not an SUV. So to me, foldability was essential. Also, like the previous poster wrote, I am one of the people who just likes the "mountain bike style". So I like the look of this bike. And the bike works for me.

My buddy rides a bike every day and he loves bikes and he knows bikes. This foldable Walmart bike is complete and utter crap, according to him. And he's probably not wrong. He told me to "just spend a bit more and get something good". Well, yeah, sure, but I don't ride it every day. I don't go on long rides daily or use it to get to work. I just use it casually, so for me, this bike is "perfect".

The negatives about this bike are: It's pretty heavy. Others have mentioned it and it's true. It's heavy. Also, when folded, it's not that small. It's a big bike when unfolded, so even when folded, it still takes up a lot of space. it just barely fits in the trunk of my car. But it fits, and that's what matters. I wish the handle bars could be easily removed or turned when the bike is folded to make it take up a bit less space.

So no, this bike isn't actually literally "perfect", but for the money (especially with this discount), it was exactly what I needed for my own personal needs/wants. So I'm happy with it.

Would I recommend it? Sure. But only if you have the same casual use for it as I do.