Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

2nd Gen Google Chromecast Yellow ***$29.00***

Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
999 upvotes
FredV14986 wrote: But you can just use your phone to control this remotely, right?
I had chromecast 1 for years and I found it's nice to just have actual physical remote. The reason being battery low, kids want the phone. Netflix App will get disconnected yada yada... plus have two remotes each for sound bard and tv.
Nov 17, 2013
979 posts
196 upvotes
WINNIPEG
wow, began to order it
OOS at checkout
:(
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
comp_freak wrote: I had chromecast 1 for years and I found it's nice to just have actual physical remote. The reason being battery low, kids want the phone.
Your family must be an unicorn... Only one Android device in the household...
Feb 28, 2015
738 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto, ON
charlesd79 wrote: Your family must be an unicorn... Only one Android device in the household...
No they just like having to buy a new phone every 18 months because their iPhone is outdated.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
comp_freak wrote: I had chromecast 1 for years and I found it's nice to just have actual physical remote. The reason being battery low, kids want the phone. Netflix App will get disconnected yada yada... plus have two remotes each for sound bard and tv.
Well a lot of TVs do support HDMI-CEC so you can just use your TVs remote for basic functions.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
999 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote: Your family must be an unicorn... Only one Android device in the household...
lolz no we do have multiple devices but cast 1st gen never played well any of them. I picked up a fire stick on Black Friday sale to try it out and I found that very convince to have one remote for everything and that's what I was trying to point out.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1349 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
genericasianguy wrote: Chromecasts are designed so phones/laptops (e.g. Chrome) are the "remotes"...
If you have more than one people watching the TV, and somebody else wants to use the "remote", you'll have to pass around yr phone. Also if you want to use your "remote", other people can't use it, until you are done using it. Unless they connect their own phone as a "remote". Which sounds like an inconvenience. On the other hand, Amazon remote acts like a universal remote and powers on/off and controls volume of the ACTUAL devices (TV, sound bar, Amazon stick).
0 tolerance for BS.
If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Jan 21, 2013
712 posts
822 upvotes
grayhal wrote: If you have more than one people watching the TV, and somebody else wants to use the "remote", you'll have to pass around yr phone. Also if you want to use your "remote", other people can't use it, until you are done using it. Unless they connect their own phone as a "remote". Which sounds like an inconvenience. On the other hand, Amazon remote acts like a universal remote and powers on/off and controls volume of the ACTUAL devices (TV, sound bar, Amazon stick).
Not true, as long as they are connected to your wifi they can use their own phones (e.g. add videos to the queue on YouTube).
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1349 posts
701 upvotes
Surrey
genericasianguy wrote: Not true, as long as they are connected to your wifi they can use their own phones (e.g. add videos to the queue on YouTube).
Can anyone control (volume, play/pause) Plex from their own phone?

Also do you ask to use someone else's phone if your phone has low battery/charging?
Last edited by grayhal on Feb 14th, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 tolerance for BS.
If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
joefloater wrote: Any links to some decent prices converters, everything I'm seeing is really expensive?
$2-3 on aliexpress. the more you buy, the less per unit for shipping.
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
prodacc wrote: I like how "one generation" guy got 38 ups and you got less than 10 haha.... Thanks though, had the same issue!
I mean, he was not wrong. also funny. I gave him an up.
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
Johnny Powel wrote: Which 3.5 stereo converters did you get?
They're on aliexpress. I actually got HDMI to VGA+3.5mm, but i think those were a bit more. They don't need a VGA termination to work.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
pdipps wrote: They're on aliexpress. I actually got HDMI to VGA+3.5mm, but i think those were a bit more. They don't need a VGA termination to work.
I use this one with my Chromecast to hook it up to my old stereo amp: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32830072958.html (US$3)

As a bonus I have the video hooked up to an old VGA monitor to show album graphics and music videos when streaming music to the stereo via Chromecast. And I have voice control of the music if there's a Google Home/Google Assistant device nearby. It's a nice cheap way to update an old music system with the latest technology.
Sep 29, 2010
727 posts
1085 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I use this one with my Chromecast to hook it up to my old stereo amp: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32830072958.html (US$3)

As a bonus I have the video hooked up to an old VGA monitor to show album graphics and music videos when streaming music to the stereo via Chromecast. And I have voice control of the music if there's a Google Home/Google Assistant device nearby. It's a nice cheap way to update an old music system with the latest technology.
Yup. Did the exact same thing. Except that my Google Home mini is on a smart plug that cuts the power when I'm not using it. I'd rather not have google listening all the time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)