Gills93 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 6:30 pm
Kids love it, thanks op!!
Looks like it’s good for one person, not really for 3
Dec 15, 2017
254 posts
430 upvotes
Vancouver
Everyone’s opinion is welcome but I would like to know where else is the best place to buy a tent that has good longevity? I bought a few from RCSS West, Canadian Tire before and now I am thinking of the one at Costco Richmond. MEC is just too expensive or just doesn’t carry a large selection of bigger tents since we want a 8 person tent for a 5 persons family.

Anyone with tent experience who can chime in on where else to buy tents for larger parties? The tents we had before couldn’t deal with the cold/rain, especially up near Whistler area.
Oct 4, 2010
204 posts
47 upvotes
I have this tent, it's enough for two, good enough for your "backyard camping".
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8020 posts
544 upvotes
Scarborough
If you have the time to reviews on tents, they all have the problem of leaks in rain. Of course, if you want to spend good money on a tent, then leaking isn't an issue.

PS. I'm currently looking for a family of 4 tent, 6 person version of this tent got some good reviews.
Feb 5, 2019
87 posts
97 upvotes
6-person tent.

Exceeds the requirements for most of the folks looking for a tent here, but should provide many years of enjoyment.

Edit: Richmond Hill store is selling it for $200.
Last edited by GTArenovate on Jun 10th, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20085 posts
1970 upvotes
YUL
QuickFingers wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:04 am
MEC is just too expensive or just doesn’t carry a large selection of bigger tents since we want a 8 person tent for a 5 persons family.
You get what you pay for at MEC. I bought a tent there in 2009, and 2 years ago the floor had a small leak. They couldn't fix it. I got full credit for what I paid for the tent back in 2009, and used the credit towards a new tent.

When it comes to big tents, I shopped around extensively and we ended up getting an MEC Cabin 6. Not cheap, but the build quality is top notch and fix my family of 6 perfectly, along with some extra bags. I'm sure as the kids get older fitting 6 adults would be tight, for for now, it's OK. The only 'cheap' tent I'd recommend is maybe the Coleman 8 person one Costco is currently selling for $200ish dollars, but even then, I'd be weary about a Coleman tent. If you want good quality stick to MEC, Big Agnes, MSR, Marmot, mountain Hardwear, North Face....big brands like that. Again, not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
Last edited by najibs on Jun 10th, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
3046 posts
3905 upvotes
Ottawa
GTArenovate wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:42 am
6-person tent.

Exceeds the requirements for most of the folks looking for a tent here, but should provide many years of enjoyment.
You should add that some stores sell it for $200, as I got scarred at the price tag of $650 that showed up when I opened this link.
Feb 5, 2019
87 posts
97 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 10:00 am
You should add that some stores sell it for $200, as I got scarred at the price tag of $650 that showed up when I opened this link.
Lol, yeah no way is anyone going to buy it for the listed price. Post edited. My browser had it defaulted to Richmond Hill store for $200 which is a solid deal imo.

As for the deal OP posted, I would have no qualms using it to camp and having done a fair share of camping myself and gone through a gamut of tents ranging from $40 colemans to expensive lightweight backpacking units. Unless you're in a torrential downpour, many of the box store units are just fine. Bring an extra tarp if the forecast calls for rain (always a good idea regardless). You may even use it to form a rain shelter for your eating/cooking area.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1648 upvotes
OutsideYourWorld wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 5:47 pm
Highly recommend a tarp over top if you plan on camping in these :P
A tarp over and below the tent :P

For $25, not bad I'll buy it for fun
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1639 posts
321 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:44 am
You get what you pay for at MEC. I bought a tent there in 2009
I'd concur if this was back in 2009. Quality has really gone downhill since (they changed their logo). Confused Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1648 upvotes
QuickFingers wrote:
Jun 10th, 2019 9:04 am
Everyone’s opinion is welcome but I would like to know where else is the best place to buy a tent that has good longevity? I bought a few from RCSS West, Canadian Tire before and now I am thinking of the one at Costco Richmond. MEC is just too expensive or just doesn’t carry a large selection of bigger tents since we want a 8 person tent for a 5 persons family.

Anyone with tent experience who can chime in on where else to buy tents for larger parties? The tents we had before couldn’t deal with the cold/rain, especially up near Whistler area.
RCSS/Canadian Tire sell junk, just like this tent. If you're a family of 5, spend the money once and get a good quality tent. You don't wanna ruin a camping tirp becuase of a little rain. Check out MEC
Mar 13, 2012
788 posts
564 upvotes
Surrey
Gills93 wrote:
Jun 9th, 2019 6:30 pm
Kids love it, thanks op!!
Easy to setup? How quick
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1648 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 1:57 pm
Easy to setup? How quick
Literally takes like 3 minutes. I didn't put the poles in the ground, as i'm not worried about it blowing away in the backyard. Now if you were trying to put it back in the bag that it came with, good luck.

Not bad for $25 fun tent.
Apr 9, 2019
38 posts
89 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 1:57 pm
Easy to setup? How quick
5 minutes..its a great tent for kids to play with..