[Walmart] 3-Person Dome Tent - $25

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2019 11:59 am
Tags:
Nov 16, 2013
192 posts
300 upvotes
New Brunswick
Great tent to keep in the car in case of emergencies.
Nov 24, 2007
203 posts
129 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
After having moderately expensive tents and cheap tents, I would buy the cheapest full-fly tent I could buy. This assumes weight/packed size is not an issue (because I am car camping); be prepared to pay more for something that packs down really small and has high-tech materials for the poles to keep weight down.

I have a 2006 $50 Costco "3-man" that is functionally better than my 1996 ~$300 Eureka "3-man), and leaks less (even when both were new) in heavy rain. I also have a large ~2003 `$150 Costco 6 or 7 man tent (we call it the cottage) that is also decent enough quality for car camping, even in heavy rain. Both Costco tents have a full fly, and vestibules front and rear.

The downside of both Costco tents and their fly coverage is that they are not terribly breathable; if we are not expecting rain I usually keep the fly attached but rolled up at the top to increase air flow.

I would buy the posted tent for the kids in the backyard, but personally wouldn't count on it to keep anyone dry in heavy rain. YMMV.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9131 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
I use silicone water proofing the tent this way it's water proof more but also a huge tarp over the top works best
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
May 18, 2017
25 posts
5 upvotes
This would come in handy as a place to keep clothes and use as a change room rather then the big family tent, would free up floor space and provide some privacy.