[Walmart] $300 - RCA 58" 4K Ultra HD TV, RTU5820

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2021 9:14 am
[OP]
Jun 5, 2016
589 posts
742 upvotes

[Walmart] $300 - RCA 58" 4K Ultra HD TV, RTU5820

I haven't been looking at TVs for a while now but this looks like a pretty good deal to me.
58 replies
Aug 20, 2019
10 posts
11 upvotes
Kinda scared of RCA as a brand but if you get a good screen this is a good deal
[OP]
Jun 5, 2016
589 posts
742 upvotes
I was in the Grandview Vancouver store and they seemed willing to price match but I opted to order it online instead. Looking at the reviews with all the cracked displays I'm regretting that a bit but oh well.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2237 posts
3194 upvotes
Who makes RCA these days?

Or do they just outsource their name to whoever now?
Dec 4, 2013
576 posts
248 upvotes
Mississauga
Not a smart TV nor hdr (HDR in this price range isn't real HDR, but still). I'll pass. Thanks OP
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
5616 posts
3553 upvotes
M-Arkham
Caerus wrote: Who makes RCA these days?

Or do they just outsource their name to whoever now?
Curtis international currently own the licence to the RCA brand in North America, and not sure where they exactly OEM them from, but odds are you're going to get the same TV that get pumped out of the factory that make Sylvania and Proscans

cricketfan wrote: Not a smart TV nor hdr (HDR in this price range isn't real HDR, but still). I'll pass. Thanks OP
I actually prefer the non-smart TV, less things to go wrong, less guilt when im plugging in a firestick or google tv, or some other new streaming devices
1x Zoomer $45 for 7GB ,unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
1x Fido $45 for 4Gb w/ unlimited Canada wide n 1000 int min + LG velvet 5G
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4323 posts
1152 upvotes
Charlottetown
I know RCA can be hit or miss, but are usually alright. I just bought this TV a short time ago on sale for $298 (plus taxes, electronic disposal fee, etc.) and after tweaking the settings am very happy with the picture quality. As far as sound goes that was never an issue as i connected a soundbar right away, also didn't want/need a smart TV, i have Shield TV tube. This is my second RCA, my bedroom one is 2 year old "40 that's still rocking (also good pic and sound).
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3385 posts
1816 upvotes
Toronto
Brewmeanie wrote: I actually prefer the non-smart TV, less things to go wrong, less guilt when im plugging in a firestick or google tv, or some other new streaming devices
I understand where you're coming from. And exactly what I used to think. Although I don't understand the guilt part. But then I realised how much better the interface was, to be switching from tv to apps, and back, rather than the extra steps turning inputs on and off, and different remotes for a non-smart TV. Along with teaching the family all those procedures. Peace for a few dollars more.
Dec 14, 2017
107 posts
335 upvotes
I've never heard such a bad sound on any TV before. Trust me. My cellphone has a better sound quality than that.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
1846 posts
1380 upvotes
In for 2. I managed to get 2 65” RCA from last Walmart clearance, and while I have no issues with the picture, it’s true the sound is awful!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2339 posts
2157 upvotes
Whitby
This is the same turd SDM / Frills tries to unload regularly. Review are pretty bad on amazon so I'd stay away.

The TCL at costco for about 450 seems to be the go to on RFD. Get that. Can be delivered with extra warranty too.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1436 posts
163 upvotes
Woodbridge
beachlover wrote: I understand where you're coming from. And exactly what I used to think. Although I don't understand the guilt part. But then I realised how much better the interface was, to be switching from tv to apps, and back, rather than the extra steps turning inputs on and off, and different remotes for a non-smart TV. Along with teaching the family all those procedures. Peace for a few dollars more.
You bring up a good point. I want to make the experience easy for the less tech savvy people in the house. Fortunately, we only have media served through an internet connected device (Nvidia Shield) so no need to switch between inputs. So for us, turn on the tv and use the Shield remote the rest of the time. Since I have a Shield, there is no need for a smart TV for us. I keep using my parent's Samsung smart TV as a baseline where the UI of that thing is really bad. I try to use YouTube on it and get frustrated by the speed and bad UI. Its an older TV so hopefully things have gotten better. But for me, I have no need for a smart TV and prefer it that way.
I have a 48" RCA TV from Can Tire that was on clearance (sitting on the top shelf for over a year). I recall checking the service screen for the panel maker and it was a company I had not heard of. Looks fine to me but I'm not picky.
Jul 20, 2017
135 posts
102 upvotes
Milfshake wrote: Kinda scared of RCA as a brand but if you get a good screen this is a good deal
I bought an RCA TV for 50% off (37in 1080p for $100) from walmart and I haven't had any issues with it.
Dec 13, 2020
30 posts
19 upvotes
Bought this tv on Boxing Day for 298 using a firestick with a soundbar no complaints have to mess around with the picture settings find it on soft which is warm mode is the nicest picture you can get another 3 year warranty for 30 bucks too
Dec 13, 2020
30 posts
19 upvotes
townie22 wrote: I know RCA can be hit or miss, but are usually alright. I just bought this TV a short time ago on sale for $298 (plus taxes, electronic disposal fee, etc.) and after tweaking the settings am very happy with the picture quality. As far as sound goes that was never an issue as i connected a soundbar right away, also didn't want/need a smart TV, i have Shield TV tube. This is my second RCA, my bedroom one is 2 year old "40 that's still rocking (also good pic and sound).
what settings did you find you like best?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4323 posts
1152 upvotes
Charlottetown
Kappmaman wrote: what settings did you find you like best?
I didn't go Advanced (or not yet anyway), i just went with Picture Mode Vivid, Brightness 50, Contrast 60, Color 60, Tint 0, Sharpness 60, Color Temperature Standard. I may up the Brightness a bit more, but it's not bad now.
Sep 4, 2017
244 posts
258 upvotes
randomguy12 wrote: Quantum dot model is also in clearance. 50 inch hdr roku for 300.

If someone wants to go with RCA that will be a better choice.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rca-50-qua ... 0201847926
Thanks for the heads up! I placed an order. Definitely seems like the most affordable 4K QLED, though I guess I'll have to wait and see if the panel quality is any good.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 0 guests)

sonkinglo2, mmj125, TheSpam54, samcsamdo, tienm23