• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2022 9:02 am
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
135 posts
88 upvotes
Red Deer

[Walmart] $79 Inflatable Kayak single

Although website says sold on line only it seems to be half price in store according to Stocktrack

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=82180801365

And yes, I got one in store.
66 replies
Sep 12, 2018
554 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
Question for experts, is this a good deal? Also, is this good enough for light kayaking, or I should get something better?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
4634 posts
7452 upvotes
Canada
Nothing like white water kayaking down some serious rapids with your $80 inflatable kayak from Walmart
Sep 12, 2018
554 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
Blubbs wrote: Nothing like white water kayaking down some serious rapids with your $80 inflatable kayak from Walmart
But what if I’m not thinking about rapids. What if I’m only going to put this on lake and North Saskatchewan River on a calm day?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3115 posts
672 upvotes
The amazon reviews don't sound great
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3603 posts
3199 upvotes
GTA
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: But what if I’m not thinking about rapids. What if I’m only going to put this on lake and North Saskatchewan River on a calm day?
I personally wouldn't take one of these out on the open water.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
23943 posts
32116 upvotes
Toronto
Please wear a PFD. so many people drown for dumb reasons each summer
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Sep 12, 2018
554 posts
540 upvotes
Edmonton
sprung wrote: Please wear a PFD. so many people drown for dumb reasons each summer
for sure. I don't even know how to swim properly, so for me it's absolutely mandatory.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1373 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: But what if I’m not thinking about rapids. What if I’m only going to put this on lake and North Saskatchewan River on a calm day?
You are totally fine on calm water. I had a couple of intex inflatable kayaks and I had so much fun with em. Those naysayers remind me of folks who claim v6 engines are needed on highways in order to pass cars.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4736 posts
3085 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
BenKlaar wrote: Shows as $160 now.
"it seems to be half price in store according to Stocktrack"
😱
Mar 22, 2018
120 posts
181 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: I personally wouldn't take one of these out on the open water.
What sorts of experiences do you have with inflatable kayaks?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1628 posts
727 upvotes
Halton
pilmania wrote: You are totally fine on calm water. I had a couple of intex inflatable kayaks and I had so much fun with em. Those naysayers remind me of folks who claim v6 engines are needed on highways in order to pass cars.
Or a $700 bicycle for your once a month around the block ride!!

I bought the last 2 in Georgetown but will be returning one, my sister did not want it.
should be back in stock by tomorrow!!

**i have a Pelican sit on top kayak, an intex K1 Kayak and now this one.... no idea yet how it will be but, might as well give it a shot. I only go out on lakes and we only do so 4-5 times in the summer... if it holds its shape, it should be good enough for my needs
Last edited by CheapoFillipo on Jul 6th, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
4503 posts
2061 upvotes
Edmonton
pilmania wrote: You are totally fine on calm water. I had a couple of intex inflatable kayaks and I had so much fun with em. Those naysayers remind me of folks who claim v6 engines are needed on highways in order to pass cars.
I've seen decent reviews on the intex ones and I dont think they were overly expensive (120-200?) They seem to go on sale often as well.

We had an intex mariner inflatable bloat, and the material on that was super heavy duty compared to their regular series stuff, but no experience with these hydro force.

And dont underestimate the north sask river - we had a coworker get their boat tossed on a fairly calm looking spot and left them stranded in the middle of know where.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12224 posts
2337 upvotes
Richmond Hill
IshfaqueR4678 wrote: How does this compare to this one in terms of quality https://www.cabelas.ca/product/103118?u ... dium=flyer.
I just tried this kayak in a nearby lake for the first time on the weekend. It's quite slow and hard to control with two people in the boat, but that could also be a skill issue. I was not concerned with safety at all. The thing feels very durable.

Just don't use the hand inflator that comes with the boat. Do yourself a favor and use an electric pump if you're going to get any inflatable boat.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2830 posts
1870 upvotes
montreal
I was on the water ... doing my stuff, then I heard a big POUUUF !
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1628 posts
727 upvotes
Halton
board123 wrote: I just tried this kayak in a nearby lake for the first time on the weekend. It's quite slow and hard to control with two people in the boat, but that could also be a skill issue. I was not concerned with safety at all. The thing feels very durable.

Just don't use the hand inflator that comes with the boat. Do yourself a favor and use an electric pump if you're going to get any inflatable boat.
we have (had) this one and loved it until we got a slow leak. Also, I agree with you on the skill issue, a single one is easier to manage if you are both into it

+1 on the inflator comment... save yourself the heartache!!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3603 posts
3199 upvotes
GTA
UnderthoughtT wrote: What sorts of experiences do you have with inflatable kayaks?
There were several rescues locally over the long weekend, where people took inflatables like these out on to Georgian Bay and nearly drowned. That is enough experience for me, and I know better than to buy one.
Jan 11, 2009
246 posts
313 upvotes
Mississauga
These inflatables are good on very small and calm lakes. Don't ever take them in windy conditions. You won't get back to shore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)