Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] $98 Hamilton Beach Mini fridge 3.3 cu. ft.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2019 11:58 am
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
201 posts
170 upvotes

[Walmart] $98 Hamilton Beach Mini fridge 3.3 cu. ft.

Looks like they're clearing out the inventory because the SKU is not on Walmart.com website.
Pick up at the store.
Images
  • 999999-840826150066_1.jpg
  • 999999-840826150066.jpg
Last edited by ChrisR on Jul 22nd, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Oct 21, 2005
525 posts
343 upvotes
I wonder if this would be good for a Kegerator
Jul 1, 2016
277 posts
157 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Quick Edit to add more info [x2] - Added efficiency and annual KW figures for comparison.

I just returned this fridge to Walmart after trying it for 6 weeks. Note that I got this at regular price ($200 after tax).

Pros:
1) it "works" - for $200 after tax (at regular price), it was usable for the price.

Cons:
1) Due to the lack of a circulating fan, internal temps are very inconsistent. I've had the majority of items on the lower rack completely frozen, while stuff on the top are "chilled" this is at setting 6 (range from 0 - 7) - Note that 0 turns the unit off.
2) Power efficiency is terrible - uses about 80% of the electricity of my Samsung Fridge with 5.5x the capacity with a top freezer. FYI I used a P3 P3IP4400, Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor to track energy usage.

Overall, warm-ish deal for $99... thought I'd share my experience so others can adjust their expectations.

Update #2:

This mini fridge uses approximately 40-50 watts when the compressor is running IIRC - Rated at 270KW annual - efficiency leaves a lot to be desired.

For reference I am using an Samsung RT18M6213SR top freezer fridge - 17.6 cubic feet - 448KW Annually (with Ice Maker), 364KW Annually (w/o Ice Maker). This fridge is 5.3x the cubic feet.

To simplify;
Hamilton Beach uses 81.81KW Annual per cubic feet VS:
Samsung 25.45 KW Annual per Cubic Feet (Ice Maker On)
Samsung 20.68 KW Annual per Cubic Feet (Ice Maker Off)
Last edited by ProjectPixelation on Jul 23rd, 2019 8:38 am, edited 17 times in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12259 posts
2801 upvotes
RFD
ProjectPixelation wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 12:22 pm
Quick Edit to add more info.

I just returned this fridge to Walmart after trying it for 6 weeks. Note that I got this at regular price ($200 after tax).

Pros:
1) it "works" - for $200 after tax (at regular price), it was usable for the price.

Cons:
1) Due to the lack of a circulating fan, internal temps are very inconsistent. I've had the majority of items on the lower rack completely frozen, while stuff on the top are "chilled" this is at setting 6 (range from 0 - 7) - Note that 0 turns the unit off.
2) Power efficiency is terrible - uses about 80% of the electricity of my Samsung Fridge with 3.5x the capacity with a top freezer. FYI I used a P3 P3IP4400, Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor to track energy usage.

Overall, warm-ish deal for $99... thought I'd share my experience so others can adjust their expectations.
Do you remember roughly how many watts it was pulling from the wall?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1562 posts
733 upvotes
Markham
ProjectPixelation wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
2) Power efficiency is terrible - uses about 80% of the electricity of my Samsung Fridge with 3.5x the capacity with a top freezer. FYI I used a P3 P3IP4400, Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor to track energy usage.

Best post with good details.
-------
Thank you
Oct 25, 2018
458 posts
429 upvotes
ProjectPixelation wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

I have had this fridge for around a year without any issues and bought it for, I think, $87 at Walmart. My brother, father in law and brother in law also grabbed this minifridge.

We had to return one due to a huge dent in the top, looked like a mini hulk tried to open the fridge as this was not a typical ding but besides that all of ours have been going strong.

I have beer on the top, bott....everywhere. This thing is FULL of beers (besides the freezer), and temp has been fine for me, Ice cold beverages without slushie beer or anything being frozen.

Mine has been amazing.
Dec 22, 2012
376 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
MikeB84225 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 5:07 pm
I have had this fridge for around a year without any issues and bought it for, I think, $87 at Walmart. My brother, father in law and brother in law also grabbed this minifridge.

We had to return one due to a huge dent in the top, looked like a mini hulk tried to open the fridge as this was not a typical ding but besides that all of ours have been going strong.

I have beer on the top, bott....everywhere. This thing is FULL of beers (besides the freezer), and temp has been fine for me, Ice cold beverages without slushie beer or anything being frozen.

I think being filled with liquid dissipates the temperature equally. However when it's not full, it changes a lot.
Mine has been amazing.
Mar 11, 2018
288 posts
143 upvotes
ProjectPixelation wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Could the inefficiency be due to the cold setting cranked to 6?
Oct 7, 2017
419 posts
422 upvotes
I’ve never had any temp inconsistencies with mine. Have had it for two years. Works great. For $98 it’s a good fridge for a basement, garage, etc.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2008
201 posts
170 upvotes
MeatJuice wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 3:55 am
Good observation!
Guys, if you set the temperature too low your beer will freeze and the compressor will run non stop hence the high energy cost.
Note to self: use less apps and more common sense.
Jul 1, 2016
277 posts
157 upvotes
Richmond Hill
radeonboy wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 1:22 pm
Do you remember roughly how many watts it was pulling from the wall?
approximately 40-50 watts when the compressor is running IIRC (rated 270KW Annual).

For reference I am using an Samsung RT18M6213SR with top freezer - 17.6 cubic feet - 448KW Annually (with Ice Maker), 364KW Annually (w/o Ice Maker)
That's 5.3x the cubic feet.

Here are the numbers:
MeatJuice wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2019 3:55 am
I doubt that's the main cause. I've had this mini fridge running in the basement where ambient temps were lower than the ground floor. This should give it an advantage over my Samsung on the ground floor. where ambient is higher. Yet it still uses significantly more energy per cubic feet than my Samsung - with ice maker function turned on.
I suspect it's the culprit is the compressor, but mostly the lack of good insulating materials.
Last edited by ProjectPixelation on Jul 23rd, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2005
626 posts
288 upvotes
Montreal
MikeB84225 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2019 5:07 pm

Mine has been amazing.
confirm I also have this fridge for about a year, work great beer always cold ! :)
Koodo 6gb call/text - 40$
Virgin Mobile 50/10 unlimited - 29,99$
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
2118 posts
1098 upvotes
ProjectPixelation wrote:
Quick Edit to add more info [x2] - Added efficiency and annual KW figures for comparison.

Pros:

Cons:
2) Power efficiency is terrible - uses about 80% of the electricity of my Samsung Fridge with 5.5x the capacity with a top freezer. FYI I used a P3 P3IP4400, Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor to track energy usage.

Update #2:

This mini fridge uses approximately 40-50 watts when the compressor is running IIRC - Rated at 270KW annual - efficiency leaves a lot to be desired.

For reference I am using an Samsung RT18M6213SR top freezer fridge - 17.6 cubic feet - 448KW Annually (with Ice Maker), 364KW Annually (w/o Ice Maker). This fridge is 5.3x the cubic feet.

To simplify;
So for us don' know about how to monitor the energy consumption, just look for "energy star" logo?
Jul 31, 2008
219 posts
42 upvotes
I think this would be a decent fridge for those going back to school in Sept.
i.e. First year uni/college students living in residence (campus).