[Walmart] Acer 24” FHD KA Series Monitor KA242Y $118

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:12 am
Aug 30, 2019
791 posts
614 upvotes
Brampton
ThatGuy1121 wrote: 20200908_120113.jpg

Tried my best capturing the problem. Hopefully you can see that the right side has a bit of a wider gap than the left. It's more noticeable if you try to press and "pop" it back in. There's more movement on the right side than on the left.
I have exact same issue i posted in this thread. I might return mine as i ordered phillips 27” for $149
Jun 13, 2011
700 posts
328 upvotes
I’ll be returning mine as well. I’ve been using IPS only for a long time and am shock by how bad the viewing angles and overall clarity and colours are on this.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14705 posts
2707 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
joepipe wrote: looking at some new monitors at canada computers yesterday, none of them really stood out as much better or better at all than my 2011 samsung LED SA300 22 inch

I just didnt think any of them were popping out at me as wow thats way better than mine...

am i right about this?
Yes, monitor tech hasn't evolved much. Other than sync rates for gaming and bezeless (thin bezel) designs, along with cheaper price points for fairly large monitor 22-24". Although yours is a TN based panel, so you will definitely notice difference in colours with VA and IPS monitor, (If its a concern for you that is!)
Last edited by weedb0y on Sep 9th, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2663 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Yes, monitor tech hasn't evolved much. Other than sync rates for gaming and bezeless (thin bezel) designs, along with cheaper price points for fairly large monitor 22-24"
ya my 2011 LED samsung seems just as good if not better than some of these 2020 ones at the store....
Aug 30, 2019
791 posts
614 upvotes
Brampton
There is phillips 27” amazon $149 and staples has lg 24” ips panels if anybody looking.
Feb 25, 2011
11 posts
1 upvote
sirxterminator wrote: Issue with this purchase is that most bought this early thinking it would be an ips panel, Walmart did not specify the panel type (buyer beware when buying w/o panel specs).

Not being a ips panel devalues the deal/steal equation. I have stuck with ips in the past but willing to give this VA panel a tryout to see if my previous preference is validated.

VA vs IPS both have their strengths and weakness.
Sorry I'm a bit late, but no, people didn't "think" it was an IPS panel. It was listed on Acer's website as an IPS panel, so it should've been BUT it was not. I've debated with Acer on phone en email, and they finally updated their website and now it shows VA in the specs. The advantage of the IPS is the angle vs color. When using a VA in portrait mode you get massive color shifting whereas IPS will have close to none. I could not believe how much pink the image became on the Acer monitor when viewed at an angle.
Mar 7, 2017
473 posts
196 upvotes
Just got mine in yesterday, looks good for the price, using a 3 monitor setup for work, no complaints here,
Aug 16, 2020
119 posts
17 upvotes
ashish84 wrote: Thanks OP. Received these and few PROS and CONS:-
PROS:-
1. Has 2W x 2 speakers which are plenty loud for notifications
2. Good connectivity in terms of ports

CONS:-
1. Setting and Power buttons are behind the screen. So a pain to setup and access
2. Glossy screen as opposed to most IPS monitors that have anti-glare
3. The display quality does not seem up to the mark. Pictures look smudged. I was using BENQ monitors which cost 40 more but the quality is beyond comparison.
4. Not a gamer so cannot confirm if the is the 1ms and 75hz made any difference
Really this acer monitor has speakers??
Are you sure?
Aug 16, 2020
119 posts
17 upvotes
Can someone please compare this acer monitor with HP monitor on this link?
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/ ... BA&sel=MTO&

HP monitor says Brightness:250 cd/m², Response time (typical): 14 ms gray to gray, Native resolution FHD (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz)

I am mainly confused this acer saying 1ms whereas HP saying 14ms gray to gray.... How can there be so big difference between both..
Is acer better in these terms than HP?
Please suggest quickly.
TIA.
Apr 1, 2015
782 posts
440 upvotes
Scxm Free Zone
Hello guys,

Looking to get a monitor for a senior. His desk is against the wall and there is a window behind him - small space so there is not much flexibility for set up.

Would there be a lot of glare on the monitor screen so it strains his eyes?

Thanks
Zoomer Wireless happy new customer:
800 mins + 5G LTE data for $36 + $100 new activation credit + $50 credit

Do your part to end the monopoly. Every little bit helps.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14705 posts
2707 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
newuserhere wrote: Can someone please compare this acer monitor with HP monitor on this link?
https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/ ... BA&sel=MTO&

HP monitor says Brightness:250 cd/m², Response time (typical): 14 ms gray to gray, Native resolution FHD (1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz)

I am mainly confused this acer saying 1ms whereas HP saying 14ms gray to gray.... How can there be so big difference between both..
Is acer better in these terms than HP?
Please suggest quickly.
TIA.
Hp is IPS, and since you are asking this, I don't think you are the 1ms gamer
Aug 16, 2020
119 posts
17 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Hp is IPS, and since you are asking this, I don't think you are the 1ms gamer
Yeah right I am not gamer... But kid plays games on laptop so what is difference for kid with Acer 1ms gamer vs HP IPS 14ms??
TIA.
Oct 27, 2009
504 posts
343 upvotes
Hamilton
newuserhere wrote: Really this acer monitor has speakers??
Are you sure?
Yes it has 2watt speakers.