[Walmart] Acer 24” FHD KA Series Monitor KA242Y $118

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:12 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5199 posts
4324 upvotes
Toronto
HeyHowYaDoin wrote: IMO better off waiting for the Asus VA24EHEY to fall back to $140 (which it does regularly) at Staples. For $20 more you get smaller bezels and an IPS display. Same 75hz, VESA mountable. The Acer in the OP is actually 5ms gtg so it’s the same as the Asus.
This one is IPS as well.

However what is confusing is they have 2 models of KA242Y Bbmiix on walmart.ca website, the one posted here is a "gaming" version with 1 MS & there is also a non-gaming one which has identical specs but has 4 MS, I am guessing both are with VBR enabled since IPS cannot really do below 4 MS GTG. Anyways the entire response time metric thing is kind of fake anyways, so you'll need to test it yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2403 posts
707 upvotes
Shows $123 for me, I guess it's no longer $118.

In any case, I also pulled the trigger, looking at kijiji i see most people selling at around $100 for a 24" and I might as well buy one new. Bonus that it has speakers and VESA mounting holes as I plan on mounting it to the wall.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5917 posts
589 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
75hz refresh and IPS panel is a good thing for this price. I picked up an LG from CC last year for 129 so this is $11 better if you're mounting using VESA
--
Dec 11, 2005
25 posts
131 upvotes
1, I just bought it and chose Free Standard Shipping

2, The Walmart web page does not say it is IPS; while I see Acer Canada indicates it is IPS

3, I did some search

a, a Chinese web page showed the package, and it is printed VA
http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/w%3D580 ... d3c9df.jpg

b, the page also says Panel Type VA
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fd1e2073

Shall we refuse it, if the box shows VA?

Thank you all.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1022 posts
771 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanx op for the heads up.

I already have 2 ips 24" acer monitors, for the price can't pass up getting another.

Will be interesting doing a 3 monitor setup.
Dec 9, 2013
19 posts
4 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Thanks OP. Received these and few PROS and CONS:-
PROS:-
1. Has 2W x 2 speakers which are plenty loud for notifications
2. Good connectivity in terms of ports

CONS:-
1. Setting and Power buttons are behind the screen. So a pain to setup and access
2. Glossy screen as opposed to most IPS monitors that have anti-glare
3. The display quality does not seem up to the mark. Pictures look smudged. I was using BENQ monitors which cost 40 more but the quality is beyond comparison.
4. Not a gamer so cannot confirm if the is the 1ms and 75hz made any difference
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2403 posts
707 upvotes
Other than viewing angle, what's the difference between VA and IPS panel?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2403 posts
707 upvotes
Better is a relative term regards to your use of it. Is IPS better than VA for home office use, why?

From what I read IPS has crappier contrast ratio and worse black levels, so that doesn't align with what you're saying.

Please qualify your comments, post a link or something credible/legitimate.

Cheers
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
48670 posts
5568 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: Better is a relative term regards to your use of it. Is IPS better than VA for home office use, why?

From what I read IPS has crappier contrast ratio and worse black levels, so that doesn't align with what you're saying.

Please qualify your comments, post a link or something credible/legitimate.

Cheers
Sounds like you did your research, why did you need to ask others? I don't want to get into an argument when you can easily just google the differences but from my preference i'd take IPS over VA panel. I'm on a 144 Hz IPS, would i trade it for a 144 Hz VA? Nope. I had a VA TV and didn't like it, and since IPS aren't widely available on TV's i went with OLED. Different strokes, different folks.

"A VA display is a good average between IPS and TN. The color range is close to an IPS panel and the viewing angle is slightly smaller than that of an IPS screen, but larger than that of a TN monitor. VA gaming monitors especially excel in contrast ratio." - Source
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2403 posts
707 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Sounds like you did your research, why did you need to ask others? I don't want to get into an argument when you can easily just google the differences but from my preference i'd take IPS over VA panel. I'm on a 144 Hz IPS, would i trade it for a 144 Hz VA? Nope. I had a VA TV and didn't like it, and since IPS aren't widely available on TV's i went with OLED. Different strokes, different folks.

"A VA display is a good average between IPS and TN. The color range is close to an IPS panel and the viewing angle is slightly smaller than that of an IPS screen, but larger than that of a TN monitor. VA gaming monitors especially excel in contrast ratio." - Source
It's not a question of an argument, I'm asking because what I read is opposite of what you're saying and I want to know why you would take IPS over VA. In my particular case I will use it for work/home, not gaming, in this respect it seems that it would be better based on what I read about contrast and black levels. Also for this particular monitor, the response time is 1ms which is really great. Is IPS better for gaming and VA better for home/regular use? This is why I'm asking, for some reasons why. People ask on here even after doing research, as a lot of articles can't be trusted, basically a lot can't be trusted anymore.

Case in point, Acer website shows this is IPS but people getting them show clearly it's VA. And that's not an article of opinion, it's the manufacturer web site.