Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Acer 24” FHD KA Series Monitor KA242Y $118

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:12 am
Sep 19, 2017
910 posts
728 upvotes
Moncton
Didn't absolutely need one, but I've got a damaged curved panel this will replace.... :)

Thanks OP! ($130 in NB once the eco fee is applied, came in at $149.50 delivered).
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Mar 24, 2007
136 posts
70 upvotes
Mmagic888 wrote: I posted earlier that the box says VA.
I bought one from the store, and can confirm it said VA on the box.
Sep 19, 2017
910 posts
728 upvotes
Moncton
Aren't viewing angles on VA panels pretty much the same as IPS panels? I think the difference is either colour gamut or possibly accuracy?

I have the LG already (virtual pinball backboard) and haven't noticed any issues with it.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
May 13, 2009
31 posts
Thanks op! Ordered one to replace my 10 year old monitor. Don't know how I lasted that long but will surely be an upgrade Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9719 posts
1214 upvotes
GTA
Can someone who knows their monitors let me know how this LG compares to the one at Bestbuy for $129.99. Says IPS panel on this one:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... lsrc=aw.ds

Looking to recommend a monitor to my sister for her kids to add to their laptops as external screens.

More importance for them for productivity (school work) and maybe video watching vs. gaming.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1048 posts
799 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Vince43 wrote: Thanks op! Ordered one to replace my 10 year old monitor. Don't know how I lasted that long but will surely be an upgrade Slightly Smiling Face
Nice your old monitor lasted 10 years.

I bought a Dell 24inch ultra sharp and its still good after 13 + years. Paid like 1,200 at that time. Times have changed.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1330 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Just received the Acer 24" VA panel ($118) and put it side by side with an AOC 24" IPS screen from costco ($169).

Did a couple screen tests on youtube and honestly can't tell much of a difference in image quality.
The colours on the Acer seem more rich and a bit more saturated/contrast, while the colours on the AOC seem flatter (maybe b/c it has a matte finish on the screen, whereas the Acer has a glossy finish).
Viewing angle does seem better on the IPS, especially when you sit in the centre and look at the edges. But it's not a big deal.

I like how the Acer has 2 HDMI inputs and allows for easy switching between my two laptops.

I originally thought the built in speakers would be nice to have, but the sound quality is pretty garbage though. And if you use the audio output from the screen, it seems like the audio gets degraded with lower volume. Still better to get audio directly from the computer source.
*** EDIT: turns out in the menu there is a volume adjustment. default was set to 70. I've now jacked it up to 100 and the volume sounds ok now when connecting speakers to the audio out port. the onboard speakers still suck though. ***

For $118 this is a great deal.
Last edited by aZnRYcEbOi on Sep 1st, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 3, 2020
107 posts
167 upvotes
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Just received the Acer 24" VA panel ($118) and put it side by side with an AOC 24" IPS screen from costco ($169).

Did a couple screen tests on youtube and honestly can't tell much of a difference in image quality.
The colours on the Acer seem more rich and a bit more saturated/contrast, while the colours on the AOC seem flatter (maybe b/c it has a matte finish on the screen, whereas the Acer has a glossy finish).
Viewing angle does seem better on the IPS, especially when you sit in the centre and look at the edges. But it's not a big deal.

I like how the Acer has 2 HDMI inputs and allows for easy switching between my two laptops.

I originally thought the built in speakers would be nice to have, but the sound quality is pretty garbage though. And if you use the audio output from the screen, it seems like the audio gets degraded with lower volume. Still better to get audio directly from the computer source.

For $118 this is a great deal.
How are the bezels on the Acer? Can't tell from the product page photo as there is a black wallpaper.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1330 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
Here you go. Bezel size was same as the AOC that I had.
Images
  • 703BD368-51DF-4FA4-9F92-7BE3D16D39B4.jpeg
  • 4482B3BF-2792-4E2E-B360-DC8B1E14C78A.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1414 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Here you go. Bezel size was same as the AOC that I had.
Thanks for the review and pics!

One difference between the Acer and the HP 24m is the HP 24m doesn't have VESA mounting holes I believe.

So Walmart delivered my unit by Canpar, and Canpar dropped it outside of my neighbour's door without signature or ringing the doorbell.
Last edited by nyxsonder on Sep 1st, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 27, 2016
226 posts
180 upvotes
m8x
No built-in speakers is a deal killer for me as I have very limited desk space.

Any other sale priced monitor recommendations with speakers ?