Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Acer 24” FHD KA Series Monitor KA242Y $118

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 12:12 am
Oct 27, 2009
532 posts
349 upvotes
Hamilton
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Just received the Acer 24" VA panel ($118) and put it side by side with an AOC 24" IPS screen from costco ($169).

Did a couple screen tests on youtube and honestly can't tell much of a difference in image quality.
The colours on the Acer seem more rich and a bit more saturated/contrast, while the colours on the AOC seem flatter (maybe b/c it has a matte finish on the screen, whereas the Acer has a glossy finish).
Viewing angle does seem better on the IPS, especially when you sit in the centre and look at the edges. But it's not a big deal.

I like how the Acer has 2 HDMI inputs and allows for easy switching between my two laptops.

I originally thought the built in speakers would be nice to have, but the sound quality is pretty garbage though. And if you use the audio output from the screen, it seems like the audio gets degraded with lower volume. Still better to get audio directly from the computer source.

For $118 this is a great deal.
Can someone confirm no DVI connection
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1330 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto
stimy wrote: Can someone confirm no DVI connection
Only inputs are 2x HDMI and VGA.
No DVI or Displayport.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2099 posts
1550 upvotes
Waterloo
Mmagic888 wrote: I posted earlier that the box says VA.
tetrisfun wrote: I bought one from the store, and can confirm it said VA on the box.
I read two posts on rfd and can confirm it's VA
Jan 7, 2017
24 posts
2 upvotes
1tallaznguy wrote: 22" VS 24"?
D'oh lol

Dang I guess this walmart deal is pretty good then aint it. $9 more and you get Vesa and 2 inches. Otherwise I assume the specs are the same..
Jan 18, 2017
701 posts
261 upvotes
Dang looks like it's OOS?

Ah well, prefer a 27in+ anyway ..

/edit: Wait; another link works. NVM.
Oct 27, 2009
532 posts
349 upvotes
Hamilton
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Only inputs are 2x HDMI and VGA.
No DVI or Displayport.

Ah well, prefer a 27in+ anyway ..

/edit: Wait; another link works. NVM.
Just ordered one. Regional perhaps?
May 13, 2009
31 posts
aZnRYcEbOi wrote: Only inputs are 2x HDMI and VGA.
No DVI or Displayport.
Thanks for confirming theres 2 hdmi. If you zoom into the pictures in the wm link it only shows 1 hdmi output but perhaps it's the wrong pic or I can't see it properly.
Sep 11, 2004
427 posts
148 upvotes
Is there much glare off the screen? Would it be annoying near a window?
Mar 7, 2017
572 posts
256 upvotes
is this ok for work, no gaming? or should i look for another monitor unless this would come in cheaper for bonus "gaming" spces.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9720 posts
1215 upvotes
GTA
YLSF wrote: Can someone who knows their monitors let me know how this LG compares to the one at Bestbuy for $129.99. Says IPS panel on this one:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... lsrc=aw.ds

Funny I asked about this monitor earlier in the thread and surprised no one had any feedback. Well, I recommended my sister to grab it for her kids as more productivity monitor vs gaming so figured would be good plus it is IPS vs. this one on this deal. It is $129.99 at Best buy. And I am sitting at work and I see the LG logo on my secondary monitor and decide to check the make of it... Turns out it is the one that is on sale at Best Buy. I have been using it for months as my secondary monitor and it is quiet a nice monitor. One time I even connected my Firestick to the HDMI to test it out and looks good on Netflix content/etc too.
May 30, 2019
7 posts
mizermalice wrote:
So Walmart delivered my unit by Canpar, and Canpar dropped it outside of my neighbour's door without signature or ringing the doorbell.
Yeah same here. Seems like a lot of deliveries are like that these days... we should all file complaints.
May 30, 2019
7 posts
Bob123456 wrote: Is there much glare off the screen? Would it be annoying near a window?
There's a bit of glare but it doesn't bug me too much. It's only slightly noticeable when displaying blacks on the screen.
May 30, 2019
7 posts
My conclusion: this is amazing value for $118. Pretty decent image, color, and viewing angles. No noticeable light bleed around the edges. Perfect as a work monitor and for watching videos. I ordered a second one.

Only a few minor complaints:
The plastic casing and stand feel cheap.
Not height adjustable.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12685 posts
2082 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
1tallaznguy wrote: https://www.costco.ca/acer-ka242y-23.8- ... 55760.html
Looks like costco states its IPS unless im looking at a dif model.
There are at least two variants. The key is the trailing letters.
KA242Y Bbmiix = VA
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/fd1e2073

KA242Y bmix = IPS
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/21cf1d10

vodka wrote: Other than viewing angle, what's the difference between VA and IPS panel?
Despite the often-repeated refrain, both have the same 178degree viewing angles. However, there is a bit of colour shifting on VA panels when viewed at an angle, although nothing to panic about unless you are doing professional colour work.

As mentioned, VA has better contrast (3000:1 vs 1000:1).

You will often hear that IPS has better colours. This is true on the highend scale (ie. professional monitors), but not so true on standard-grade monitors such as these. Colour gamut varies. Just because it is an IPS panel, it is no guarantee that you are getting a high gamut monitor. Having said that, I think modern desktop monitors are pretty good for sRGB coverage (90+%), at least for IPS/VA, but it's not like I go around memorizing monitor specs ;) . It's just my opinion from whenever I've checked out the specs of newer monitors.

Personally, I prefer VA, since I watch a lot of movies/TV_shows on the computer, so I prefer the blacks. As I say:
IPS = space grey
VA = black
OLED = black AF