[Walmart] Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27" WQHD Gaming Monitor, $229.999

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2019 9:48 pm
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
frugalshopper604 wrote: Darn, I need to find a spare camera that I can run all day while I'm at work
That wont work, you aren't able to watch 8 hours of nothing. You just have to have the camera recording while on the PC so you know when to clip the footage. Also camera on monitor has the fuzzy lines right? Lol.
Aug 20, 2019
114 posts
112 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: That wont work, you aren't able to watch 8 hours of nothing. You just have to have the camera recording while on the PC so you know when to clip the footage. Also camera on monitor has the fuzzy lines right? Lol.
LOL true.

I believe I saw a flicker today around noon albeit a very small flicker. It occurred near the top middle of the panel. It was so darn quick though I barely noticed.

I was browsing on a bright webpage background at the time.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a general idea of what the flicker is like and how fast it goes. My second monitor flicker looked like multiple bars of those in the middle of the screen.

Might just return the second one to Walmart and save myself the headache.. Unless someone wants it at cost and will go through the RMA process and panel roulette with Acer?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
4328 posts
5799 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Jimboski wrote: Here's a general idea of what the flicker is like and how fast it goes. My second monitor flicker looked like multiple bars of those in the middle of the screen.

Might just return the second one to Walmart and save myself the headache.. Unless someone wants it at cost and will go through the RMA process and panel roulette with Acer?
Hmm, that's very different from the flicker I saw. Did you try rolling back a driver? That's what that flickering looks like to me. I had a bunch of flickering on my 4k monitor when I put in the new displayport cable for this monitor.

I reseated the graphics card and unplugged and replugged the cables a bunch of times till I got my 2 4k tvs and this 2k panel to work right, at max frequency and at rgb colors, but it works now.

Also, Freesync needs to be enabled in the monitor menu before it will work.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
Nikhilvoid wrote: Hmm, that's very different from the flicker I saw. Did you try rolling back a driver? That's what that flickering looks like to me. I had a bunch of flickering on my 4k monitor when I put in the new displayport cable for this monitor.

I reseated the graphics card and unplugged and replugged the cables a bunch of times till I got my 2 4k tvs and this 2k panel to work right, at max frequency and at rgb colors, but it works now.

Also, Freesync needs to be enabled in the monitor menu before it will work.
Had no flicker issues before these 2 monitors, same drivers, same gpu, same displayport cable.

I've read multiple reports of people getting new panels manufactured in 2019 and it has no problems at all. Got another flicker just now, looks to be the same area as the video above. I'm going to turn off GSync and see how it goes.

Has anyone gone through a long stretch of back and forth RMA'ing? What happens if they can't fix it, do they upgrade you with a newer model or are you SOL and have to take back the broken monitor and have to settle with that?

I know back then i RMA'ed a OCZ SSD and they replaced it with a newer model because the one i sent back was out of production and they had no more.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2707 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimboski wrote: Here's a general idea of what the flicker is like and how fast it goes. My second monitor flicker looked like multiple bars of those in the middle of the screen.

Thanks for posting this video, didn't quite know what to look for when everyone was talking about the flickering issue. Can confirm that I haven't had this issue at all since receiving it.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
Kwonie wrote: Thanks for posting this video, didn't quite know what to look for when everyone was talking about the flickering issue. Can confirm that I haven't had this issue at all since receiving it.
Commenter 1: for anyone interested. I bought one from build date April 2019. And everything seemed to be fixed. Also a great panel with superb uniformity and just a bit of glow. Very good. Coming from the dell TN Panel 1440p 144hz

Commenter 2: same. bought in july and no problems so far

Commenter 3: I've bought this one last week and still haven't seen any artifacts or flickering. According to the label on a package it was made in April 2019. So maybe Acer have admitted their guilty and been replaced the broken batches.

Commenter 4: Yes. Mine didn't have the problem the first month or so. Now I get it every day. Still don't know how to reproduce it reliably, which is annoying to some extent.

The problem is the Innolux panels which is what we all have, if you get an AOU then that panel should be good.
Aug 20, 2019
114 posts
112 upvotes

My flicker isn't like that of the video at all. From the very little that I could see of mine, it looks like an extremely quick small popup window coming and going (and this is on desktop with the browser closed).

Since your 2nd monitor flicker is so pronounced and obvious, I feel you should RMA it (Acer can't possibly miss this one. Your 2nd monitor is a prime candidate and will serve as a perfect example of their flickering issue)
Aug 20, 2019
114 posts
112 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: Commenter 1: for anyone interested. I bought one from build date April 2019. And everything seemed to be fixed. Also a great panel with superb uniformity and just a bit of glow. Very good. Coming from the dell TN Panel 1440p 144hz

Commenter 3: I've bought this one last week and still haven't seen any artifacts or flickering. According to the label on a package it was made in April 2019. So maybe Acer have admitted their guilty and been replaced the broken batches.

Commenter 4: Yes. Mine didn't have the problem the first month or so. Now I get it every day. Still don't know how to reproduce it reliably, which is annoying to some extent.

The problem is the Innolux panels which is what we all have, if you get an AOU then that panel should be good.
Comments from #4 worry me. But then again, we have 3 years for it to get worse so it should work out for us. It's reassuring knowing that Acer has resolved the issue with their newest panels.

I think that even if they can't replicate the issue the first time, when they realize that you've brought it in half dozen times, they SHOULD eventually replace it with one of the newer panels.

With regards to your 2nd monitor, I think you should RMA it and keep it as a spare for yourself just in case
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
frugalshopper604 wrote: Comments from #4 worry me. But then again, we have 3 years for it to get worse so it should work out for us. It's reassuring knowing that Acer has resolved the issue with their newest panels.

I think that even if they can't replicate the issue the first time, when they realize that you've brought it in half dozen times, they SHOULD eventually replace it with one of the newer panels.

With regards to your 2nd monitor, I think you should RMA it and keep it as a spare for yourself just in case
I only need 1 monitor, i fomo'ed and bought 2 in case a friend wants it but knowing these issues they probably wouldn't want to risk it lol. So i'm leaning towards returning 1 and RMA'ing the other and keeping that for myself.
Sep 23, 2014
624 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Damn it affects all Innolux panel? That's alarming...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2707 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
Jimboski wrote: Commenter 1: for anyone interested. I bought one from build date April 2019. And everything seemed to be fixed. Also a great panel with superb uniformity and just a bit of glow. Very good. Coming from the dell TN Panel 1440p 144hz

Will just have to hope for the best Neutral Face. For how cheap we got these monitors for, it's still worth the risk.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
LockAndKey wrote: Damn it affects all Innolux panel? That's alarming...
Kwonie wrote: Will just have to hope for the best Neutral Face. For how cheap we got these monitors for, it's still worth the risk.
Yup i'm still keeping 1 and RMA'ing it. Also just going to return the second one because it's too risky selling it to a friend at cost and possibly having to RMA that unit multiple times for them. Was hoping i'd get one good panel out of the two but nope.
Apr 20, 2011
108 posts
100 upvotes

That's interesting that in this video the flicker appears directly vertical of all 3 active windows on the taskbar. I haven't seen anything like this on my monitor. I will continue to observe as much as I can during the 14 day return policy. My monitor just hit 24 hours up-time.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
49013 posts
5683 upvotes
Toronto
Dailen wrote: That's interesting that in this video the flicker appears directly vertical of all 3 active windows on the taskbar. I haven't seen anything like this on my monitor. I will continue to observe as much as I can during the 14 day return policy. My monitor just hit 24 hours up-time.
I actually didn't notice that, i read a comment saying if you put the taskbar on the side it still happens.