• Oct 31st, 2020 10:39 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1115 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto

Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

Today while at Walmart, I was told that Ad Match will be stopped across all Walmart Canada locations on Oct 15th. Can anyone confirm? No signs anywhere. This was a location in the GTA.
Thread Summary
It’s now confirmed Ad Match will be discontinued as of Oct 15th, 2020
IWannaWin wrote: I found a petition, not sure if it was posted here before:
https://www.change.org/p/horacio-barbei ... rice-match
551 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14635 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Wonder if it’s a long term policy ...
Or just anticipation of Covid 2.0

Lots of stuff like this was not available during Covid Round one

So wouldn’t surprise me if it’s just more of that coming down the pipe

I know the Public Health Authorities say we are just days / weeks away now from a Roll Back in status
My buddy the MD told me they expect to see Ontario Stage 3 set back to Stage 2 levels by early October

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5105733
Jul 11, 2017
466 posts
407 upvotes
I will say I haven't heard anything from my store yet. But I was told by my management that If Walmart does stop Price Matching, Loblaw (RCSS and No Frills) may be close behind. Apparently for the last year they've (Loblaw and Walmart) have been playing chicken with each other to see who will end it first and the potential backlash from it. If I hear anything from my end, I will update everyone here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1115 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
johnb56789 wrote: I will say I haven't heard anything from my store yet. But I was told by my management that If Walmart does stop Price Matching, Loblaw (RCSS and No Frills) may be close behind. Apparently for the last year they've (Loblaw and Walmart) have been playing chicken with each other to see who will end it first and the potential backlash from it. If I hear anything from my end, I will update everyone here.
Thank you very much. Thought I would post since the cashier told me about the new policy while matching some items today.
Oct 22, 2006
791 posts
578 upvotes
Ontario
I really hope it is stopped (No offence to you OP).

Nothing worse than standing behind someone who suddenly pulls out a stack of flyers to price-match every item in their cart.

Good Riddance.

Give the business to the place that advertised the special instead! Stop inconveniencing everybody standing behind you...
Sep 26, 2011
211 posts
239 upvotes
Maybe it's just me, but lately I'm finding Walmart's "everyday low prices" aren't as universally low as they once were. It's as if they're getting complacent.

Then there's really bizarre stuff I noticed while browsing the hardware aisles, like stocking a $718 ice fishing auger in a smaller-size Walmart store in Kitchener's Stanley Park Mall. Umm, huh?? Who'd ever plunk down >$800 after tax in any Walmart, let alone for something as specialized as an ice fishing auger, in suburban Kitchener of all places?! :rolleyes:
Apr 1, 2015
844 posts
458 upvotes
NOYB
When Walmart still had Scan n go kiosks in place the app would automatically PM everything that's on another major store's flyers. I think that was neat.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2393 posts
1695 upvotes
Toronto
dollarsign wrote: I really hope it is stopped (No offence to you OP).

Nothing worse than standing behind someone who suddenly pulls out a stack of flyers to price-match every item in their cart.

Good Riddance.

Give the business to the place that advertised the special instead! Stop inconveniencing everybody standing behind you...
Stack of flyers? When was the last time that happened?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2429 posts
8359 upvotes
Apparently it's true. Ending October 15th. Stores are in the process of putting signs up over the next few weeks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2014
1115 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
hill15 wrote: Apparently it's true. Ending October 15th. Stores are in the process of putting signs up over the next few weeks.
Thanks for confirming. I just wasn’t sure, so thought I would reach out on rfd to see if others have heard anything.
Jun 30, 2010
802 posts
5023 upvotes
Found on my Instagram feed.

Such BS. If there's been only "minimal use of the Ad Match program", the delays at checkout cannot be impactful.

Walmart, just admit you're further maximizing profits during a pandemic.

Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6496 posts
2775 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Well that is disappointing.

Walmart was our go to store for groceries. We did it every week and we would have no issue price matching. We always scanned all the PM items first and then have all the items in Reebees app ready to show and PM. Also they changed their system were if you PM more than 1 of the same item it would automatically PM all the same items.

Anyway. We also did a lot of grocery pickup and never had issues doing PM with our pickup after via online.

Also what we have been doing lately is doing our grocery order on wednesday to overlap 2 sales but pickup no thursday/friday. Walmart will always give you the lowest price regardless of when you order. So if the item is on sale this week but ending on thursday.. Just order it before and you will still get that low price.

Adding the occasional coupon of 20$ off $75 we have seen our grocery go from $100 to like 50$ when picked up because of the sales price of 2 sales.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13115 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
RCSS has that dumb rule where they don't pm "2 for $x", whereas Walmart does.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Oct 24, 2010
905 posts
683 upvotes
Ottawa
I price match all the time, at both RCSS and Wal-Mart, and I assure you it doesn't add any time; but I go to the extra effort to make sure that it's easy and seamless for the cashier.

This is really unfortunate. It'll either make my once destination shopping trip now multiple destinations, or mean my grocery bill will increase.

I've actually noticed with RCSS in Ottawa that who the store price matches is dependent on the store. For example, Orleans doesn't price match FreshCo, but Westboro does, presumably because there isn't a FreshCo all that close to the Orleans location. We live smack dab in the middle of the two, but tend to frequent the Orleans store because it's newer and bigger with generally more selection.
May 28, 2012
10931 posts
3107 upvotes
Saskatoon
canaduh wrote: Maybe it's just me, but lately I'm finding Walmart's "everyday low prices" aren't as universally low as they once were. It's as if they're getting complacent.
They were never universally low, it was just a marketing gimmick (same with Home Depot). They are depending on you believing that shtick so you will do all your shopping there. Same with their suspension of flyer specials early on in the pandemic...stuff was flying off the shelves so there was no incentive to drop prices to bring customers in.