Shopping Discussion

Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 1:09 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
2318 posts
1908 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: The TL;DR of @lecale 's posts are: Support Canadian Monopolies! Who Needs Competition! Let's Pick 1 Winner (and his name is WESTONETTE) And Screw The Others!

Maybe he needs to add Tim Horton, Ted Rogers and Sandy McTire to go next to the Westonette teen idol poster on his bedroom wall.

For consumers, COMPETITION IS GOOD. I do my best to avoid Loblaws, Canadian Tire, and Rogers (and all of their brands) as much as possible (and I always hated Tim's products) because of how dominant/monopolistic they are. We need competition for consumer choice and honest pricing. God help us if Westonette merges with CT and Rogers. That is SCARY shit. But apparently that would be a consumer utopia for @lecale.

Westonette would be an also-ran in the USA against the likes of Wegmans, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Meijer, etc. In Europe they'd be nobodies against Tesco, Aldi, Carrefour, Lidl, etc. They only do well here due to protectionism and a severe lack of FOREIGN competition to keep them honest. Big fish in a small pond.
Yeah Loblaw never did well in the states. National was their American division and while it was profitable towards the end of its existence it was never as profitable as the Canadian division. In fact over the 1970s and 80s National was constantly shrunk until it only served a few American cities. Eventually Loblaw would sell National in the mid-90s probably to focus on the ultra important Canadian division as Walmart came on the scene.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
2318 posts
1908 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
sheyenne wrote: I'm not sure if there's Loblaws where you are. But it seems the staff at many chain grocery stores are becoming more ignorant than ever, much like people in general it seems. I was at Superstore and wanted them to price match with their sister company Canadian Whole Sale Club. There's a store about 3 km away. The cashier never heard of them. She called her supervisor who was in her mid-40s and she never heard of them either, but she asked how many items and it was just one, so she let it through.

I also had one senior employee at Walmart refuse to PM a Coke product which was on sale. I know he wasn't a new employee. I told him that you've been working here for a long time now and you know very well when one of these Coke products go on sale they all do, I also had a pic on my phone of the item. He reluctantly agreed but not after spending a few minutes in line debating the price match. It reminded me of the old Future Shop and Staple days.

I don't buy for a second Walmart's excuse. They just want to increase their retail profit margins, that's the actual reason they're doing this.
I joke that Wholesale Club is the bastard child of Loblaw because no one remembers them or cares about them. Their stores are usually in the worst shape and it’s the only Loblaw brand I know (besides T&T) who isn’t involved in the PC Optimum programme. I’ve told many family and friends about Wholesale Club and a lot of them are confused about it. Most have never heard of it, probably because Loblaw doesn’t advertise the brand. Regardless I love the store, it’s the only place I know where I can buy cases of Nestea in bottles (even though the Waterloo location desperately needs new shopping carts).
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
2318 posts
1908 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Thinking about it now, this decision by Walmart could be due to their ongoing automation efforts. In a perfect future Walmart wants the entire checkout process done by their customers using their own phones, obviously with as limited customer-employee contact as possible. Price matching goes completely against this, requiring an employee to manually approve things. As such as Walmart continues to automate this could just be one of their stepping stones. Maybe in the future Walmart will do automated price matching where their systems go though the flyers of competitors and will automatically price match items if you buy them with the app. They’ve done this previously, maybe it will come back.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4349 posts
3880 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Loblaws should change their motto: "Screw Canadians, so we Westons can finally hit that $10 billion mark...just $2 billion to go..."
Fixed for you...
source: https://www.forbes.com/profile/galen-we ... 4f17438adb
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3295 upvotes
jacnel wrote: I joke that Wholesale Club is the bastard child of Loblaw because no one remembers them or cares about them. Their stores are usually in the worst shape and it’s the only Loblaw brand I know (besides T&T) who isn’t involved in the PC Optimum programme. I’ve told many family and friends about Wholesale Club and a lot of them are confused about it. Most have never heard of it, probably because Loblaw doesn’t advertise the brand. Regardless I love the store, it’s the only place I know where I can buy cases of Nestea in bottles (even though the Waterloo location desperately needs new shopping carts).
I remember them having plastic tubs of RTE Campbell's soup of the same caliber that is sold to the restaurant industry (think Timmy's). I am wondering if the Campbell's Verve Wicked Thai is the same stuff Tim's serves. (I haven't been to WC for a while.) They also have foodservice packaging like individual portion cups, all the stuff you would use at a deli counter, fast food joint, etc. which is very handy if you batch cook and want to create some order in your fridge and freezer.

Good place for foodies to visit. They also deliver through Instacart. Check out the frozen soup.

https://www.wholesaleclub.ca/Food/Froze ... 1007007009
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
2318 posts
1908 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
lecale wrote: I remember them having plastic tubs of RTE Campbell's soup of the same caliber that is sold to the restaurant industry (think Timmy's). I am wondering if the Campbell's Verve Wicked Thai is the same stuff Tim's serves. (I haven't been to WC for a while.) They also have foodservice packaging like individual portion cups, all the stuff you would use at a deli counter, fast food joint, etc. which is very handy if you batch cook and want to create some order in your fridge and freezer.

Good place for foodies to visit. They also deliver through Instacart. Check out the frozen soup.

https://www.wholesaleclub.ca/Food/Froze ... 1007007009
They still do! In fact the frozen soup was on sale a few months ago. Wholesale Club is great for getting portioned food, for example they sell the small ice cream cups like what I got back when I was in school. That and they also sell 11L tubs of ice cream (although the price of those has steadily gone up over the past few months from 26.50 to 27.50 and now 28.50 for premium).
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4349 posts
3880 upvotes
lecale wrote: *bull feces snipped*
Are you suggesting Walmart Canada will close its doors by August 2022, defeated at the hands of Westonette? Since Walmart is as hapless as Target...

How soon before Loblaws Wholesale Club kicks Costco out of Canada? 2023?
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2006
3236 posts
1040 upvotes
Ontario
jacnel wrote: I joke that Wholesale Club is the bastard child of Loblaw because no one remembers them or cares about them. Their stores are usually in the worst shape and it’s the only Loblaw brand I know (besides T&T) who isn’t involved in the PC Optimum programme. I’ve told many family and friends about Wholesale Club and a lot of them are confused about it. Most have never heard of it, probably because Loblaw doesn’t advertise the brand. Regardless I love the store, it’s the only place I know where I can buy cases of Nestea in bottles (even though the Waterloo location desperately needs new shopping carts).
I love Wholesale Club for it's dirt cheap 10 KG bags of dried chickpeas and yellow split peas but hate it when the employees clog up it's narrow aisles with their huge stocking carts. Sheesh, there isn't space like a Costco, at least not at mine!
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.9%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Member
Aug 5, 2011
370 posts
127 upvotes
I use their AdMatch program almost weekly because I am assured that I can always find the cheapest price there.

Given that they are ending this program now, I will have to be more strategic in my shopping. Might end up taking my business to Freshco or RCSS instead since they still price match.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
2318 posts
1908 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
minimalist wrote: I love Wholesale Club for it's dirt cheap 10 KG bags of dried chickpeas and yellow split peas but hate it when the employees clog up it's narrow aisles with their huge stocking carts. Sheesh, there isn't space like a Costco, at least not at mine!
Mississauga? Because when I went there once there was no space from all the stocking, but trust me it's not as bad as the Valu-Mart from my hometown. There the store owner puts entire pallets of stuff in aisles that are barely 2m wide.

Waterloo Wholesale Club isn't too bad, they do stock during the day but the store is huge so they have the space for it.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2017
2318 posts
1908 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
lecale wrote: In the US they briefly had plastic cards and card members would have all of their stuff price-matched automatically. Iirc, roughly, customers would pay full Walmart price and get a store credit on their member card. Everybody else had to suck it and price-match traditionally with no guarantee that they got the best price on everything, but they didn't have to overpay and get store credit.

That would have given Walmart data on what things look like when customers get 100% the best price match prices, vs. what savings people normally actually achieve.

I have no doubt they lost money giving people the very best prices during this trial, but that is the cost of collecting the data that would show what would happen if they made this store policy for all people. At least by giving people store credit people were forced to spend their savings at Walmart.

Walmart is too fixated on smartphones. They are the most useless things. Mine spends most of its time as a brick unless I charge it to shop at Walmart which is one of the few places I actually need one. (The app has a UPC scanner which makes up for missing and non-functional price checking machines, and their commitment to using paper shelf labels that humans manage weekly instead of RFD shelf labels.) Their fast checkout scheme requires a credit card too. I do not link credit cards, loyalty accounts, or my bank account to my smartphone. There are still too many security issues for me to blindly and wholeheartedly recommend apps, and honestly though I am all over the Grid I like to play staying off the Grid so I can see the challenges that non-smartphone users and people without credit face.

People with low education including people who are functionally illiterate or have low literacy and consistently choose not to engage with things by reading (labour class) loooove smartphones and they are absolute masters with photos, video, and voice recognition features. They do not know how to control the settings on their phone and need help installing and using apps. People who could whoop my ass at creating and managing media on their phone are asking me for help to change their ringtone because that is beyond them. They can't read well enough to sort this out. The do NOT want to share their identity on the Grid. Around here this crowd looooves Loblaws/Zehrs (not the No Frills, thank you very much, because Loblaws/Zehrs has much better frozen food selection and hot deli). They will not engage with Loblaws/Zehrs on their smartphones and are pretty committed to that position.

Walmart thinks they will do better with these people because they see them waiving around their phones all the time. Walmart wants people to add a credit card to the app to get full functionality. There is no f-ing way.

I see Loblaws struggling to engage with the people at the bottom but they have come out with the PC Money account scheme. No fee banking, earn PC points everywhere you shop. The question is can they create a banking app functionally illiterate people can use? They would like to dictate a text message to get their current bank balance. They would also like to know the last deposit to their account (date/time, amount, who) because they get a few scattered government payments or can be living paycheque to paycheque and they want to know if they are in. Ideally they would get a message when a government deposit is made. They don't want to pay for data. They use wifi where it is available but they truly want all this stuff through sms. These people use tellers at a branch because they don't have full literacy. If they could talk to their phone instead of a teller and they didn't have to use data, maybe they would.

You can make good money in construction. These people can have money and they spend it all to max out their lifestyle at the bottom. Loblaw is closer to tapping into this demographic than Walmart. Walmart believes in the future everyone will have a smartphone. Maybe true, but not everyone will be fully literate or be eligible for credit or be willing to pay for data. Walmart has a blue-collar image but they are designing for yuppies. I don't even know if yuppies price match. They like to tell you "time is money," maybe not.

Just file this one under "general f-ery of Walmart."
You're from the southwest eh? Since you mention Zehrs.

I will admit that Loblaw is #1 when it comes to getting data on people. Their PC Optimum programme has near 100% adoption at this point (at least among people who want to use the programme) and because of this they really understand what their customers want and where they're buying things. Walmart lacks in this area and I don't think any sort of app system will be all that effective.

Personally, I think having to use an app just to pay for shit at Walmart is a bad idea. Not only do many people not have a phone I really don't like the idea of having to supply not only my labour to Walmart for free but also my own tech.

And like you say making an app accessible is all about how well you can design it so that anyone can use it. I laugh when people say that young people are good with computers, they're not they just know how to use the interfaces that UX designers have spent years creating.
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
16926 posts
6103 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Isn't that the point of ANY business? I didn't know Walmart (or Loblaws for that matter) is a non-profit charity...
Then they should double prices. Will that double your support for them?

We can rationalize making the rich richer and everyone poorer until the cows come home, but why do we need to to protect those who look to take advantage of us?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Sr. Member
Oct 14, 2017
975 posts
767 upvotes
GTA
Is there any credible info available on the percentage that PMed items represent out of WM Canada's total dollar sales?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2404 posts
2527 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote: 1) What exactly did you come here to read? We are on page 10, Price Matching is still over. 2) Walmart started it. 3) It is true that Walmart does not have the best prices.
1) If we're on Page 10, that's only because two of your posts account for about three of those pages.

B) Price matching ends in October, so it is not quite over yet

Subsection 102.05b) Even if Walmart's pricematching is over, your message (whatever it is) would be a lot more effective if you left out religion and minutiae that don't lend to the overall theme of the thread. i've already seen a few other posters insinuate such, but clearly you're not getting it.
c'mon get happy!
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4349 posts
3880 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Then they should double prices. Will that double your support for them?
We can rationalize making the rich richer and everyone poorer until the cows come home, but why do we need to to protect those who look to take advantage of us?
You can take that up with @lecale who is in full support of Canadians helping the Weston family boost their net worth up from the measly $13 billion they're at now...

http://www.morebuzzing.com/10-richest-p ... -net-worth
Friendly reminder #1: The Golden Arches fast food chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you for your attention.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.

Top