Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 3:18 pm
Apr 25, 2012
982 posts
341 upvotes
Temporel wrote:
Where do you grocery pickup?
Are there missing/damaged/stale items sometimes?
How's the CS if/when that happens?
I never picked-up; I want to be in control...
GTA. Never had any damaged/stale or missing items. I think they have a dedicated staff for picking orders and are trained and know what to look for. Just my guess.

Good news is if you're not satisfied with any product - Walmart will refund you - no questions asked. You have 3 days to initiate a "return" online after pickup.

Edit: you get to keep the items. Once ordered something extra by accident. The CS told me to just initiate a return online.

I also did pcexpress pickups during early covid days and my experience is a lot better with Walmart. I don't think I will go back to traditional shopping. This saves me so much time. Plus - I don't impulse buy as you can always add/remove items from your cart until 10pm th day before pickup.
Last edited by demzie on Sep 20th, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo $40/8Gb | PublicMobile $34/4Gb LTE
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2393 posts
2515 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote: You're missing out buddy, this is 100% all IT and business I want to discuss with people.
I'm good, thanks. Going to do something a bit more painless, such as a Fire Ant enema. But you be you...
c'mon get happy!
Apr 25, 2012
982 posts
341 upvotes
lecale wrote: This is what I do:

I make a grocery order of everything in a box or can and make sure I pick NO SUBSTITUTIONS

I make a grocery list of produce and anything else I don't want them to pick out.

They send me an email and tell me they are out of an item or two and I add these to my grocery list. Either 1) they have it and could not find it and I have to find it myself, pretty common or 2) I want to pick my own substitute.

I go to the store and pick out the stuff I am picky about and just enjoy browsing because I don't have to chase down all the crap on my list.

I check out, call the online pickup order number, they come out with my order, I asked for no bags, they give me 12 bags anyway 100%, and I go home.

You have total control over everything except the plastic bags and the fact that their pickers aren't 100%.

It's generally a good experience. I recommend people try shopping this way. Retailers would be thrilled. When you come in the store they can upsell you. You will have a more enjoyable shopping experience, the chore part is removed and you have free time to explore, and you won't waste valuable time during COVID. This works for everyone.

A big problem with the online store though is that the default is "accept substitutions." You do not want substitutions. You guys think I am random ... wait until you experience Walmart picker substitutions. They should not even go there.
Great idea. And I second the bag experience lol. I select no substitutes except for milk/eggs. Your suggestion about splitting order will work as long as you're spending $50 on boxed/canned items.
Koodo $40/8Gb | PublicMobile $34/4Gb LTE
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2428 posts
2060 upvotes
GTA
rdiamond1 wrote: I have looked everywhere for this. No go.
I don't know whether is it 0.5 %, 1 % or 10 %.

And what percent is Walmart loosing on their margins ? 1 % 3 % 12 % due to Price Matching.

Is it more popular now than previously because of the Flipp app ?

I get it though - I don't want to be in a store ( any store ) for a minute more than I have to be.

IF I have to go into a store - I want to go and leave. NO waiting. ZERO extra time than necessary.

I would be pulling out my hair if someone were rolling thru screens on their phone or having to call the manager for assistance.
I could have handled some waiting prior this - but not now. No thanks.

IMHO - the risk will be worse in the winter. Stores will be heating and running on HVAC and possibly not doing enough air turns in a day.
It happens, it is cheaper. Much cheaper. And the air will get worse. Our Walmart does have good high ceilings but still I do not have warm, fuzzies on it.

The timing is good on this decision for that reason. Excellent really.

Time inside with many faces should be minimized. I know everyone is wearing masks and staying away from each other and store numbers must be maintained , and splashing hand sanitizer on before and after but... there
are still so many questions. And Winter has the potential to be a whole different ball game.

I have never price matched nor seen anyone price match so I believe it may be geographical- although it is has been hinted here that it is age dependant.

Even though I have a Walmart fairly close, I probably shopped there 3 times a year - and definitely have not been in one since the pandemic.
Have no plans to go anytime soon. Too many cars there.
They run the HVAC all Summer and part of Spring and Fall as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1237 posts
978 upvotes
Halifax
tew wrote: They run the HVAC all Summer and part of Spring and Fall as well.
True - but when you are heating air you cannot afford to do a full air turnover per hour.
You are lucky to get 3-4 per day.
You are sending your fuel straight up the stack with next to no efficiency.

There are just too many unexplained cases - where people have no idea what happened or where they picked it up.

The Southern US got worse when they went inside to escape the heat. The North will see the opposite effect- when we head inside to escape the cold.

There is also data that shows that humidity ( or lack of ) is a factor. And that heated air is very dry - 10-15 % humidity is typical .
There is more transmission with lower humidity. Several confirmed studys show this.

We all know that outside is better - but in a Canadian winter - outside is often not an option.

EDIT :
Also you can usually do many more air exchanges the closer you are to outside temperature. So the Sping and Fall would have delta T's of less than 7 Deg C and the summer might have 13 Deg C Delta T. But the Winter - when you are aiming for 21 Deg C and it is - 20 out there. This is a 40 Deg C temp difference. Costly . Very Costly.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3124 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: Loblaws has totally and inescapably trumped them on price matching
What? Loblaws price matches now. When did this happen?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
lecale wrote: Yes I have lived most of my life in the Ontario Zehrs zone (Caledon/Tech Triangle).

I have literary aspirations though and the entire cannon of English literature is rife with religious references. I don't just want to address the IT people, I also want to talk to the arts types like me. How are the arts types going to tolerate reading about IT if there is no Christian symbolism? I aim to bridge all cultures. I do not aim to offend.
Ah same for me. I find it interesting how resilient Zehrs has been to Loblaw's rebranding efforts. Most Loblaws stores outside of Toronto, Markham, Vaughn, Ottawa and Mississauga (and London I guess but only two Loblaws stores remain there so I think not) have been converted to some other banner (either No Frills, but more often than not Superstore) but this was a rare occurrence for Zehrs locations (I know of a few larger Zehrs which became Superstores), I guess this speaks to demographics.

Glad to see it's not all GTA here ;)
I like credit unions and Honda Civics.
Member with DUCA Credit Union.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
beachlover wrote: What? Loblaws price matches now. When did this happen?
Loblaw does at some of their brands like Superstore and No Frills but Loblaws the store does not.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3124 posts
1461 upvotes
Toronto
jacnel wrote: Loblaw does at some of their brands like Superstore and No Frills but Loblaws the store does not.
I know that. But lecale said "Loblaws", and usually they are spot on.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
lecale wrote: Walmart can't price-match Loblaw's personalized member prices and that's the way Loblaw is going.

I suspect people aren't price-matching as much because they are playing the PCO points game. It's pretty easy peasy to save up $500 in points for Christmas each year and the program makes the PC store brands cheaper than other store's store brands. People like the PC products too.

Walmart has no choice but to cancel price matching both in-store and online because Loblaw has found a way to make them unable to price-match them. Loblaws offers all sorts of different offers to all sorts of different people and their pricing strategy is incredibly complex.

Walmart can't create a PCO points programs like snap because their technology sucks. They are led by MBA-types not IT-types like at Loblaw and I tried to explain the difference to people (and made everybody mad, it took about 7,000 words) and why that makes Walmart such a weak competitor right now.

Walmart decided they wanted to abandon online and go hard on in-store and then COVID hit. Now they are in a bad position because they destroyed their online store because they didn't want to put the effort in, they bet big on brick & mortar, and because of COVID everybody needs to be online.

If they can't offer price-matching they have to come up with some other pricing scheme to attract people and they don't have the strong IT that lets Loblaws do this in a very nuanced way. They are going to have to go at things with a hammer because that is the only tool they have got.
I have to agree with you there.

Loblaw has a great points programme, the best on the market, and it really incentivises people to shop at their store. When I take points into consideration I save more money, with less of a hassle over price matching, mainly because I'm actually getting bonuses on things I want automatically. Plus their points can be used for so much, I can use them on food, electronics at either Superstore or Shoppers, and clothes. As well I do agree that Loblaw has good IT, at least in comparison to Walmart, the amount of data that they get, process, and use is staggering, although they really need better websites for their stores (why do items just disappear all the time? HMMM?).

Walmart's relationship with IT seems like an afterthought. They seem to just be blindly copying what Amazon does in a desperate attempt to save market share without understanding what makes Amazon great. Their decision makers appear to be out of touch and it shows on their website which IMO is absolute trash.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
beachlover wrote: I know that. But lecale said "Loblaws", and usually they are spot on.
A bit of an error it seems ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
ferkel wrote: Walmart is losing money.. when they need to outsource their grocery dept to outsiders in certain markets they are throwing in the towel
Huh?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8988 posts
3322 upvotes
jacnel wrote: Ah same for me. I find it interesting how resilient Zehrs has been to Loblaw's rebranding efforts. Most Loblaws stores outside of Toronto, Markham, Vaughn, Ottawa and Mississauga (and London I guess but only two Loblaws stores remain there so I think not) have been converted to some other banner (either No Frills, but more often than not Superstore) but this was a rare occurrence for Zehrs locations (I know of a few larger Zehrs which became Superstores), I guess this speaks to demographics.

Glad to see it's not all GTA here ;)
This area is where Germans hid after WWII.

After the war there was no German deli, bookstore or restaurant in Toronto. Nothing. Kitchener (formerly Berlin) was their urban hotspot and there are also a lot of them in the rural areas around the Triangle and Northish/Westish of the GTA. Thus the Zehrs still sells head cheese and blood sausage at the deli but they hide it in the back room so they don't scare the other customers lol. You have to ask for it and they bring it out. Ugly looking stuff tbh.

Over the decades they have come to carry less and less hardcore German stuff. There are Canadian companies making German heritage foods to local tastes now so there is a lot less imported German food floating around anyway. Walmart carries more German foods from Germany that Zehrs now it feels like. Kind of NW of the tech triangle there are Mennonites and the Zehrs has hitching posts for their horses & wagons. They sell cheese curds, eggs and summer sausage and stuff at the Zehrs. They do everything the old-fashioned way from scratch and occasionally there would be a food-inspector war over whether their cheese curds truly needed to be refrigerated or not some something (some Mennonites still choose not to use electricity).

If you go to the Mennonite country stores they are using weird spices like whole cassia that was popular in Europe way back before they came over. They stuck with it, no one else did. Everyone is Brubacher lol. You'd see rural Womennonites come in by the vanful and hit up the Walmart, Michaels, and fabric/yarn stores in town. No where else. That is the only contact with town they needed and they would get out of the vans and look around like they had just found themselves in Times Square. A lot of the women sew quilts to sell to tourists to the area. My mother had a horse art made there and it was all lacquered, hand done, leather upholstery, she said she wanted pinstripes down the side in the end and they did it freehand lol but it looked awesome lol. The pinstripes are definitely the best part. Some also make and sell solid wood furniture.

This side of the GTA is the last stand for the Germans. There is an awesome deli in Mississauga called Brandt's. There are fewer Zehrs and the food culture has been assimilated. They have pretty well all blended in except the old German Mennonite community.
Last edited by lecale on Sep 20th, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8988 posts
3322 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote: True - but when you are heating air you cannot afford to do a full air turnover per hour.
You are lucky to get 3-4 per day.
You are sending your fuel straight up the stack with next to no efficiency.

There are just too many unexplained cases - where people have no idea what happened or where they picked it up.

The Southern US got worse when they went inside to escape the heat. The North will see the opposite effect- when we head inside to escape the cold.

There is also data that shows that humidity ( or lack of ) is a factor. And that heated air is very dry - 10-15 % humidity is typical .
There is more transmission with lower humidity. Several confirmed studys show this.

We all know that outside is better - but in a Canadian winter - outside is often not an option.

EDIT :
Also you can usually do many more air exchanges the closer you are to outside temperature. So the Sping and Fall would have delta T's of less than 7 Deg C and the summer might have 13 Deg C Delta T. But the Winter - when you are aiming for 21 Deg C and it is - 20 out there. This is a 40 Deg C temp difference. Costly . Very Costly.
Thank you, this is all good to know.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2297 posts
1883 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
lecale wrote: This area is where Germans hid after WWII.

After the war there was no German deli, bookstore or restaurant in Toronto. Nothing. Kitchener (formerly Berlin) was their urban hotspot and there are also a lot of them in the rural areas around the Triangle and Northish/Westish of the GTA. Thus the Zehrs still sells head cheese and blood sausage at the deli but they hide it in the back room so they don't scare the other customers lol. You have to ask for it and they bring it out. Ugly looking stuff tbh.

Over the decades they have come to carry less and less hardcore German stuff. There are Canadian companies making German heritage foods to local tastes now so there is a lot less imported German food floating around anyway. Walmart carries more German foods from Germany that Zehrs now it feels like. Kind of NW of the tech triangle there are Mennonites and the Zehrs has hitching posts for their horses & wagons. They sell cheese curds, eggs and summer sausage and stuff at the Zehrs. They do everything the old-fashioned way from scratch and occasionally there would be a food-inspector war over whether their cheese curds truly needed to be refrigerated or not some something (some Mennonites still choose not to use electricity).

If you go to the Mennonite country stores they are using weird spices like whole cassia that was popular in Europe way back before they came over. They stuck with it, no one else did. Everyone is Brubacher lol. You'd see rural Womennonites come in by the vanful and hit up the Walmart, Michaels, and fabric/yarn stores in town. No where else. That is the only contact with town they needed and they would get out of the vans and look around like they had just found themselves in Times Square. A lot of the women sew quilts to sell to tourists to the area. My mother had a horse art made there and it was all lacquered, hand done, leather upholstery, she said she wanted pinstripes down the side in the end and they did it freehand lol but it looked awesome lol. The pinstripes are definitely the best part. Some also make and sell solid wood furniture.

This side of the GTA is the last stand for the Germans. There is an awesome deli in Mississauga called Brandt's. There are fewer Zehrs and the food culture has been assimilated. They have pretty well all blended in except the old German Mennonite community.
I didn't know Zehrs still sold food that catered to German culture. Most of the locations I've been to sell the same stuff that any Loblaws sells and they have the same in store design as any other market brand Loblaw store (Valu-Mart, Independent and Zehrs all have the same interior design) so I would have assumed that by now there's nothing unique about the chain beyond the name. Although I've seen plenty of stores in Waterloo with the horse carriages, I just laugh and say "well that's Waterloo."

Because of how similar Zehrs is to Loblaws I've always wondered why Loblaw hasn't decided to just kill off the brand already. Its brand recognition isn't all that great anyways plus other companies have been successful at rebranding stores in KW (Sobeys bought Dutch Boy and rebranded all those stores under the Sobeys banner, Metro bought A&P and then rebranded everything under their parent name). Seems that they've started, the new Zehrs logo is basically the Loblaws logo for example, so who knows how long it will be until all we know is Loblaws.