Shopping Discussion

Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 9:58 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2808 posts
12023 upvotes
Great news everyone. Just seen in their flyer that "ALL CHECKOUTS OPEN Saturday and Sunday 11 am to 7 pm"
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2635 posts
4152 upvotes
hill15 wrote: Great news everyone. Just seen in their flyer that "ALL CHECKOUTS OPEN Saturday and Sunday 11 am to 7 pm"
How many customers will they have this weekend anyway? The upcoming flyer is pretty bad.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Dec 27, 2007
21028 posts
12420 upvotes
Kitchener
computergeek541 wrote: How many customers will they have this weekend anyway? The upcoming flyer is pretty bad.
That isn't really relevant as they are still PM'ing ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2635 posts
4152 upvotes
aasoror wrote: That isn't really relevant as they are still PM'ing ;)
I believe that the Ad Matching is why people shop there. For me, I know that it's not for the "stellar" customer srevice. At this rate, I'll receieve my online ad match credits from August some time in 2021. They might as well rename the escaltion department to "Wind Back Office". Those who had Wind Mobile 10 years ago will understand that reference.
May 15, 2019
65 posts
40 upvotes
GWN
I like to use the Walmart credit card for purchases at Costco.

How does that affect their data gathering?

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Dec 27, 2007
21028 posts
12420 upvotes
Kitchener
SnowyDumpling wrote: I like to use the Walmart credit card for purchases at Costco.

How does that affect their data gathering?

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Actually, WM doesn't see your Costco purchases, the credit card is issued by Duo Bank of Canada, and per their CC agreement, when it comes to shopping data, they only exchange Walmart related data (purchases at WM stores and/or website) with Walmart.

https://i.walmartimages.ca/financial-se ... 20_ENG.pdf
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2515 posts
2115 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
TheImp wrote: They're f---ing lying pieces of s---.
I just did an online chat to provide feedback, and their response was: Walmart always has the lowest price on everything.

ARE.
YOU.
F---ING.
SERIOUS?!

That bull---- just makes me angry.
Lol if that was true the Dial foaming hand soap wouldn't be $2.50 at Zehrs.
DUCA credit union member
Dec 27, 2007
21028 posts
12420 upvotes
Kitchener
computergeek541 wrote: I believe that the Ad Matching is why people shop there.
I agree, though apparently, the "WM Elites", that I never knew was an actual thing before reading this thread, can't see past the end of their own shopping carts :) If you aren't fit enough to zap through the checkout (old, slow, tech-challenged, pennywise PM'er, couponer) you don't deserve to hang out with the big boys.

It's amazing how some managed to use an incident that is nothing more than a poorly executed attempt from a retailer to (legitimately) increase their margins as a background for a blatant public display of lack of empathy and disdain for "the others"!

To be clear, it's not like our household is banning WM, canceling their PM policy is their own choice, and so is the mega lie that they based the announcement on, we agreed to simply push it behind our least favorite PM'ing store, and hopefully, the message would get through (if not for WM to revert then at least for other retailers not to hastily follow suit).
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1358 posts
1058 upvotes
Halifax
The way I see it there are 3 groups of Price Matchers.

1. The persons who shop instore and who use physical flyers ( this number has decreased )

2. The persons who shop instore and use their smart phone and Flipp ( this number has increased)

3. The persons who will NOT price match in the store but will price match online at home on an online/ pick up order ( this group has increased A LOT over the past COVID few months ).

Although Walmart says there are very few persons using PMing AND that they are causing delays- well this is partially true. But not the whole story IMHO.

Notice that Walmart US stopped price matching about 18 months after the Flipp app came out. This is because now it is fast and easy. You don’t have to physically go thru page after page of flyer. You punch in the name into your Flipp app and Voila. The best advertised prices ! One friend shows another friend and the numbers of PM’ers goes up. Profit from diapers, formula, televisions drop.

No data, no problem – just screen shot everything. You are not a Flyer person – you are a tech wiz with a cellphone.

Flipp personally bothers me because it leaves an important societal group behind. Seniors/ Pensioners. This particular group needs discounts as much or more than as everyone else. The Seniors/ pensioners- they did not grow up with a cellphone in their hand. They were slower to use Flipp and many are shy to hold up a line. So they are out. I feel sorry for the older man holding up the line with his laptop ( and probably cannot get Wifi in the store ) trying to show a particular offer. This is sad – but good on him for trying. But he is in a vulnerable group having more interaction than necessary with a CSR.

So what happened ? I think Walmart was caught completely off-guard by the # 3. Group. The increased demand for online and express pick up came so quickly – who knew? So this is a pretty tech savvy group and their numbers increased dramatically with Covid. These people had some time to look at prices and compare digitally. They did not have people growling in a line up behind them. They were smart enough to do as much as PM’ing per order as possible. Walmart did not have the people, the training, the technology, the banking systems (to issue continual credits )or the ability to catch up to this onslaught. They could not keep up. They had to hire more people for Customer service to keep up with complaints.
It was costing Walmart significantly more money and buying them Zero customer satisfaction. And guess what? They did not have competition for it. No other company was offering online services with a further discount of 10-30 % for PM’ing.

This was the nail in the coffin.

So what now for Walmart ?

Watch for it: direct and aggressive competition with Amazon in the US.

Walmart are in more locations. They have/ will implement an online/ app based subscription – much like Prime. It will deliver your groceries within 24 hours. They will use some of their own delivery services. Investing in Electrical and green vehicles( see today 130 Tesla truck order today ) . They can make this virus stuff work for them. They have implemented Scan and Go for members – so that if they go into a store. No cashier. Just scan to your account and walk out the door. Zero time. They are going to invest in tech. They are sitting on money now and know the only way to grow in the US is by taking on Amazon.

For Walmart Canada – they will wait and see how the implementation goes south of us. We are a small pod for them. And they will see MORE profit ( not SALES but profit ) from their grocery division.

What now for Walmart customers ?

Some will stay and some will go. Some will eventually go back to Walmart. Walmart will have some pretty good sales up front to entice people back.

Walmart could have made it work . As mentioned many times here , Worried about the lineup… introduce Tap. (What were they thinking ? ) Too much PM’ing – limit it to two items per customer per day ? (would this even be possible to regulate ? ) Or just cancel all Pickup and Online PM’ing if your call centre cannot handle it. In general, the announcement is not a good thing for Canadian consumers and families.

Yes Walmart could have made it work – they just chose not to.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
3759 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Good on walmart, gives me now reason to shop in their stores.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1174 posts
1281 upvotes
Does anyone think Superstore/No Frills will end price matching? I feel that move is coming by end of the year.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18586 posts
6624 upvotes
Toronto
Here is what I do: My grocery list and my Walmart price match list. If they remove price matching, I no longer go there for my groceries. My Walmart has terrible produce to begin with, I would never pay regular for most of it.
Sep 28, 2020
1 posts
I'm really disappointed, I shop at Walmart every week and price match. I'm always organized with my items and flipp app so it only takes an extra couple of minutes at checkout . One stop shopping is ideal, who has the time to drive all over the place to get the best prices? I've been searching on line for a petition but I can't find one. Does anyone know of one? It's worth a try!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2635 posts
4152 upvotes
aasoror wrote: I agree, though apparently, the "WM Elites", that I never knew was an actual thing before reading this thread, can't see past the end of their own shopping carts :) If you aren't fit enough to zap through the checkout (old, slow, tech-challenged, pennywise PM'er, couponer) you don't deserve to hang out with the big boys.

It's amazing how some managed to use an incident that is nothing more than a poorly executed attempt from a retailer to (legitimately) increase their margins as a background for lack of empathy and disdain for "others" blatantly displayed in this thread.

To be clear, it's not like our household is banning WM, canceling their PM policy is their own choice, and so is the mega lie that they based the announcement on, we agreed to simply push it behind our least favorite PM'ing store, and hopefully, the message would get through (if not for WM to revert then at least for other retailers not to hastily follow suit).
Walmart never had to offer Ad Matching to begin with. And they don't have to in the future either. However, probably even more so in Canada because of Walmart's relatively short history in Canada, the ability to ad match is expected at Walmart. This is what the buyers have come to expect. Take that away and why continue shopping there?

There aren't as many Walmart locations compared to stores such as No Frills. The place is also more crowded and customers are herded into massive speed lines. Who wants to wait in those? Over-the-phone and online customer service is terrible (not always the employees' fault, but rather likely because of the way things are set up), so what you have is a place to buy things inexpensively. As it is an inexpensive place to shop, people put up with Walmart's shortcomings. Once it's no longer the cheapest place to get things such as basic groceries, why bother?

What Walmart does have is home delivery of groceries in many of the large cities, with products generally at the same prices as in store. RCSS has started doing that (and I don't mean through marked up Instacart prices) in Calgary, and is clearly about to start home delivery in Toronto as well (in addition to curbside pickup). RCSS also does price matching for online orders in Ontario. So, i suspect that Walmart will soon be losing much of that market share, at least in the Toronto area.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4168 posts
4818 upvotes
GTA
Kfox wrote: The reality is Covid has resulted in a boom in revenue and profits at Walmart. Q2 report says U.S. same store sales rose 9.3%, online sales rose 97%.. Net income spiked to 6.48 billion $ compared to 3.61 billion last year.....
They are unexpectedly rolling in huge dough, so they've decided they just don't need to bother with pesky Canadian price matchers anymore. They theorize it won't hurt them, instead it will pad profits even more. Plain and simple.

They can go to hell
repatch wrote: Hahahaha, I love this 'viewpoint'.

Tell me: what company is NOT out to make money, to 'pad profits'?

That's the DEFINITION of being a business. You REALLY think ANY other retailer is any better? Come on.

You don't think the other grocery chains are rolling in it due to COVID? Why do they get a pass in your mind but not Walmart?

This 'hatred' of a particular retailer (whether it's Walmart, or whatever else) BECAUSE they are successful and making money ALWAYS brings a smile to my face.
My post was simply to point out the truth behind Walmart's policy change. They came out with a bullsh*t excuse, they deserve to be called out on it.

My opinion about them hasn't changed because of their decision on price matching---I've always hated them! I think I've shopped at that job and culture killing sh*thole no more than a half dozen times in my life.... and that was 5 times too many! I'm only chiming in on their termination of price matching because I fear the possibility that No Frills and Freshco will follow suit.
Dec 27, 2007
21028 posts
12420 upvotes
Kitchener
simplypop wrote: Does anyone think Superstore/No Frills will end price matching? I feel that move is coming by end of the year.
Well, that's every shopper's call to make, if WM gets away with it rest assured that others will follow suit (after all who doesn't want higher margins?).
Dec 27, 2007
21028 posts
12420 upvotes
Kitchener
Samduncs wrote: I've been searching on line for a petition but I can't find one. Does anyone know of one? It's worth a try!
I wouldn't bother, just petition with your money and shop at stores with the policies you like. It's not like those who don't PM at WM can make up for the lost sales, WM is banking that just enough of those who used to PM would suck it and keep shopping at the higher margins. At the end of the day, it's a for-profit entity and if the margins stay the same or go higher then changing the policy was indeed the right thing for them to do.
Dec 27, 2007
21028 posts
12420 upvotes
Kitchener
computergeek541 wrote: Once it's no longer the cheapest place to get things such as basic groceries, why bother?
Well, simply said, trading the one-stop-shopping convenience and safety for a little more money, it's a trade that WM is hoping enough people would be willing to make esp at this challenging time where many would rather not increase their exposure with multiple-stops shopping trips, even with no safety concerns many would simply not mind paying a little more to save gas and time driving around between stores and going through checkout at each one of them. Timing is very unethical to be honest because now they know they really don't need to work that hard for competitive pricing when the news about "new covid-19 case discovered at x retail store" every few days is providing them with much of the traffic they need for free.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6205 posts
5811 upvotes
Kfox wrote: My post was simply to point out the truth behind Walmart's policy change. They came out with a bullsh*t excuse, they deserve to be called out on it.

My opinion about them hasn't changed because of their decision on price matching---I've always hated them! I think I've shopped at that job and culture killing sh*thole no more than a half dozen times in my life.... and that was 5 times too many! I'm only chiming in on their termination of price matching because I fear the possibility that No Frills and Freshco will follow suit.
No Frills removing PMing will likely result in my shopping there more, I actively avoid places where people PM alot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6205 posts
5811 upvotes
aasoror wrote: I wouldn't bother, just petition with your money and shop at stores with the policies you like. It's not like those who don't PM at WM can make up for the lost sales, WM is banking that just enough of those who used to PM would suck it and keep shopping at the higher margins. At the end of the day, it's a for-profit entity and if the margins stay the same or go higher then changing the policy was indeed the right thing for them to do.
Honestly, do you think WM is dumb?

They are certain getting rid of PMing will not hurt their bottom like, otherwise: they wouldn't have done it.

How many people do you REALLY think PM regularly? As in percentage of shoppers?