Shopping Discussion

Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 9:58 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2613 posts
1741 upvotes
“Over time, we have seen minimal usage of our ad match program, while at the same time the program has been causing delays at the checkout,” a spokesperson told Global News in an email.
So Ad Match had minimal usage yet significant impact at checkout? Does not compute.

Psst, maybe having Tap for payment would speed-up checkout process?
Last edited by peli33 on Sep 18th, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 6, 2014
78 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is there anyone creating a petition to bring this back? As many have noted, Walmart does not always have the lowest price, and not being able to go to just one store and price match competitors is a terrible loss
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2266 posts
815 upvotes
ciantech wrote: Is there anyone creating a petition to bring this back? As many have noted, Walmart does not always have the lowest price, and not being able to go to just one store and price match competitors is a terrible loss
I doubt WMT will change their mind, especially since they had scrapped this same price match program in the US about a year ago.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4743 posts
1256 upvotes
Wat
Just vote with your wallet. Stop shopping at Walmart when they stop price matching.

Their regular prices aren't even good.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44991 posts
5550 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Fresh Fruits & Vegetables do present more of a challenge
But it’s still do able

First, buy seasonal as much as possible

Second...
Most people just don’t know how to store their fresh items to maximize freshness & longevity

People today waste far too much food ...
Due to lack of knowledge ... laziness & convenience

It’s truly shameful

* Personally ... I only buy fresh items every 2 or 3 weeks
And hearty winter fruits & veggies ... every 4 to 6 weeks
Proper prep & storage ... and that’s all I need
Example ... can even get tender lettuces to last that long c/o the use of paper towel
Think about it this way. When No Frills has their annual $1/12 corn deals, do you want to be fighting with everyone, or go to Wal-Mart and PM to get the same price?
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44991 posts
5550 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lecale wrote: Does Walmart have a huge load of fresh corn though? I'd go to No Frills and fight with the corn huskers. It used to be our Walmart had a cop car flashing its cherries out front every time I went but now the staff is all Southeast Asian and the service is impeccable and fully cheery but I really wish we could get rid of the language barrier because if there are 5 of them discussing my coupon in not English I need to be cut in. There is indeed no tax on margarine.

No Frills for the win.
I'm using that as an example only. Replace corn with your favourite deal.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15464 posts
12663 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jon Lai wrote: Think about it this way. When No Frills has their annual $1/12 corn deals, do you want to be fighting with everyone, or go to Wal-Mart and PM to get the same price?
Neither

When it comes to Ears of Corn ... hard to beat the Quality, Freshness, and Price often found thru buying at a Farmer’s Gate ...

Picked this morning ... cooked this evening
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44991 posts
5550 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Neither

When it comes to Ears of Corn ... hard to beat the Quality, Freshness, and Price often found thru buying at a Farmer’s Gate ...

Picked this morning ... cooked this evening
You're missing the point. With that mentality why buy any produce at a store?

Replace corn with a grocery item.
Oct 22, 2006
793 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
WMPCOT wrote: Stack of flyers? When was the last time that happened?
Actually, just last week. It wasn't Walmart though.

I popped into NoFrills to grab a bag of milk on the way home. Went to the express lane where there was just one woman in line. She pulls out 4 flyers for the 4 products she's buying. At this NoFrills (maybe all? I don't know), manager approval was needed. After the manager finally gets there, some disagreement erupts about how house brands aren't equivalent.

My 30 second shop to buy milk turned into 5 minutes while this woman argued the merits of store brands.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4193 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
johnb56789 wrote: I will say I haven't heard anything from my store yet. But I was told by my management that If Walmart does stop Price Matching, Loblaw (RCSS and No Frills) may be close behind. Apparently for the last year they've (Loblaw and Walmart) have been playing chicken with each other to see who will end it first and the potential backlash from it. If I hear anything from my end, I will update everyone here.
I don't see that happening, Loblaws (No Frills) and Empire(Freshco) will more likely use price matching as weapon against Walmart.

Won't Be Beat!

The only way it ends is if Loblaw and Empire collude to drop it. After the bread price fixing scheme they'd be wise to not even think about it.

Empire is aggressively going after Loblaws/Walmart in the discount space with big investments in their Freshco banner--16 stores opened in western Canada since the spring of 2019 and 6 more announced including their first 2 stores in Alberta. The vibrant competition between No Frills and Frescho will hopefully preserve PMing. One chain will be reluctant to drop it if the other keeps it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9085 posts
2684 upvotes
London
Urg, I just hate Walmart on so many levels, so this is no loss for me, other than it means less pressure for others to price match. Food Basics hasn't done it forever, and FreshCo stopped during covid and I'm not sure whether they started again because I don't shop there enough to care.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4193 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
dollarsign wrote: I really hope it is stopped (No offence to you OP).

Nothing worse than standing behind someone who suddenly pulls out a stack of flyers to price-match every item in their cart.

Good Riddance.

Give the business to the place that advertised the special instead! Stop inconveniencing everybody standing behind you...
Deal hunting RFDers bashing price matching, do you see the irony?
Oct 22, 2006
793 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Kfox wrote: Deal hunting RFDers bashing price matching, do you see the irony?
I can see your point. But I have never price-matched groceries.

As an original RFD'er, I used to pricematch at Staples in the days of 50% difference:

Yes, give me the Logitech speakers you hid away in the back room for 50% off...

Yes, I'd like one of the printers you hid on the top shelf for 50% off...

Ya, I want that keyboard you put behind your counter, for 50% off...
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1407 posts
955 upvotes
Brampton
Well I used to shop at Walmart just because I could price match other stores I guess now I have to find my self a new store to shop at
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2904 posts
668 upvotes
Toronto
I price match every time I go to walmart. It is also the closest store to my house. I never had an issue "waiting" longer at the self checkouts. The line still moves as people finish, even with covid closing a lot of the self checkouts. I use Flipp and it takes me 1 minute for the cashier to help me adjust prices.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7343931/walm ... g-program/
“Over time, we have seen minimal usage of our ad match program, while at the same time the program has been causing delays at the checkout,”

BS! I read this as them trying to squeeze more profits. F that, I'm buying my groceries elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4193 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
lecale wrote: Loblaw can shield their specials by offering member pricing. Is Freshco going to price match member pricing or the "everybody" price that is a buck more? I noticed the other day that Loblaws is offering fancy Listerine for a buck cheaper than absolutely anywhere else anytime ... if you are a PCO member. They have a really strong SAP implementation so they have a really good big picture. They are in a good position to strategize.

OTOH if you Google "Empire grocery SAP" the first result mentions something about an "ERP debacle." Loblaws is hitting its stride and Empire is ... probably not so far ahead in the game. The only thing they have going for them is you can cash in Air Miles for LCBO vouchers. PC Optimum lets you build huge bank and end up with $500 to blow at Christmas. You cannot earn like that with Air Miles but you can get a < $10 bottle of wine to feel better about that and earn Air Miles at the LCBO too. It's gamblers vs. winos, sorry Loblaw will win this one because there are more gamblers than winos.
Loblaws vs Freshco makes no sense. Loblaws has only 3 or 4 "member pricing"" deals per week---anybody looking to save on groceries doesn't shop at Loblaws. Freshco is a discounter competing with No Frills, Food Basics and Walmart,.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4193 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
dollarsign wrote: I can see your point. But I have never price-matched groceries.

As an original RFD'er, I used to pricematch at Staples in the days of 50% difference:

Yes, give me the Logitech speakers you hid away in the back room for 50% off...

Yes, I'd like one of the printers you hid on the top shelf for 50% off...

Ya, I want that keyboard you put behind your counter, for 50% off...
You're missing out on big savings.
I bought 10 items today at No Frills, I price matched 7 of them. My bill was $22, savings from price matching was about $8. PMing saves me hundreds per year.
Oct 22, 2006
793 posts
582 upvotes
Ontario
Kfox wrote: You're missing out on big savings.
I bought 10 items today at No Frills, I price matched 7 of them. My bill was $22, savings from price matching was about $8. PMing saves me hundreds per year.
I understand your point. I just shop differently than you.

I generally stop by a store after work. One day will be Metro, then Sobeys, then Zehrs, then NoFrills. I buy all I want at each store, then the week's over. That covers everything and every sale. Yes, with Covid, I'm shopping less...

Notice that I didn't include Freshco (scammers) and FoodBasics (watered down meat). Anybody shopping at Freshco, check your receipt. I stopped going to them because they were deliberately charging customers more. They put up displays at sale prices, but don't program their registers for the same prices. They exist to rip-off customers.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4193 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
dollarsign wrote: I really hope it is stopped (No offence to you OP).

Nothing worse than standing behind someone who suddenly pulls out a stack of flyers to price-match every item in their cart.

Good Riddance.

Give the business to the place that advertised the special instead! Stop inconveniencing everybody standing behind you...
To save time at the cash, before I go to the store I take screenshots of all the price matches on Flipp, then at cash I can quickly show the screenshots and avoid having to navigate through the Flipp app.

Last edited by Kfox on Sep 19th, 2020 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2672 posts
4268 upvotes
mobifree wrote: You can't buy groceries weeks in advance and bulk up when they go on sale at your favourite store.
Sure you can. it takes some planning. You have to know how much you're going to need for a few weeks. Meats are easily freezable. Fruits and vegatables can be chosen based on how long they last in the fridge, and for those that only last about a week, you can supliment those with frozen vegatables after running out of fresh. Bakery item and bread also freeze very well, and standard packaged breads (with preservatives) last 2 to 3 weeks at room temperature before going stale (and even then are still safe to eat). Potatoes and onions can last several months, and rice and canned goods last practically an indefinite amount of time.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB