Shopping Discussion

Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 8:04 pm
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 13, 2013
869 posts
612 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote: In a couple years time we will probably know if wearing a mask helped or not.

Mask wearing Should be controlled at the government level though- takes the burden off retail to enforce and take the blame for.
That is probably the way it should be.
We already know and have mountains of proof it works now (and from 1918 when they were used to prevent the spread of the Spanish Flu). It's not up for debate, its scientifically proven they reduce the spread of COVID-19. There's no medical condition besides maybe a physical deformity or someone with a severe mental disability where they'd rip it off their faces preventing someone from following the law. People who have gotten lung transplants, have heart conditions, asthma etc can do it without making a scene about it. The people complaining they can't to make a statement (while potentially endangering others) can order things online, use curbside pickup or find alternative means to shop that don't affect other shoppers.

Hopefully the police finds out who is doing this and arrest them. Didn't mean to derail this thread but I'm just tired of this coming up.
Newbie
Aug 22, 2016
91 posts
33 upvotes
in and out of a vici…
zyngasweater wrote: "The Kitchener Fire Department said a paper product was used to start the fire, and police confirmed Wednesday morning that all three fires were started in the toilet paper and paper towel sections of the stores."

In that case, the culprits should be the "beneficiaries" of a good quantity of charred toilet paper.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15137 posts
12228 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Wasp14 wrote: We already know and have mountains of proof it works now (and from 1918 when they were used to prevent the spread of the Spanish Flu). It's not up for debate, its scientifically proven they reduce the spread of COVID-19. There's no medical condition besides maybe a physical deformity or someone with a severe mental disability where they'd rip it off their faces preventing someone from following the law. People who have gotten lung transplants, have heart conditions, asthma etc can do it without making a scene about it. The people complaining they can't to make a statement (while potentially endangering others) can order things online, use curbside pickup or find alternative means to shop that don't affect other shoppers.

Hopefully the police finds out who is doing this and arrest them. Didn't mean to derail this thread but I'm just tired of this coming up.
What I don’t understand ...

Is that if someone’s claim is they have a health issue that prevents them from wearing a mask ...
Then they no doubt have a health condition that dictates they’d be more at risk of getting extremely sick or dying from a Covid

Which actually means their best case scenario is to limit their time out in public entirely
Not just by wearing a mask, or practicing social distancing

THEY SHOULD BE the folks fully committed to these measures
For themselves, their loved ones
And society as a whole

You wear a mask ... not only to limit your exposure
But to PROTECT THOSE WHO ARE MORE VULNERABLE IN SOCIETY

And they SHOULD BE the folks advocating for more accessibility to goods & services thru other means

CHAMPIONING THE FIGHT ... for more curbside pick ups, drive thru services, and home deliveries
Without hardship ... and UNREASONABLE added costs to do so
For those who cannot due to Covid circulate as they once did in the community

The fear of getting Covid & serious consequences for this segment of the population ... which BTW can represent 25% to almost 50% of the population depending on where one lives (people over 50 + ALL people with pre existing conditions no matter their age) ... is like having any other HEALTH HANDICAP cuz they cannot just go about their lives normally anymore. They are now forced unfairly to withdraw from society ... and contend with what little to no support there is in place for them to live a fuller life

We don’t put up with this regarding HANDICAP ACCESSIBILITY
So WHY are we ok with this ?

Honestly I just don’t get it

How can you be part of the most vulnerable group
Yet fight the science
And not want for a system that gives more freedoms to everyone ... but esp those who need it the most
Moderator
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
20869 posts
12181 upvotes
Kitchener
Kfox wrote: Mask policy may have allowed the perps to pull this off and not get identified. Hopefully video will have caught their vehicle.

Friggin brazen, especially considering arson can get you 14 years. 3 counts and you're facing sentence of at least 10
Two charged in connection to fires at Kitchener-Waterloo Walmart stores

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/two ... -1.5159778
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4504 posts
4029 upvotes
DrewDamage wrote: In that case, the culprits should be the "beneficiaries" of a good quantity of charred toilet paper.
Nah, use them as the rescue dummies for firefighter training... for the rookie firefighters who might not get the fire out on time.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Jr. Member
Oct 8, 2020
150 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
Rhetorical question: If you're starting fires (to protest against having to wear masks) and have some sort of medical condition then isn't inhaling smoke bad for you? Couldn't a mask protect you from the smoke?
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1299 posts
1032 upvotes
Halifax
Typically a particulate mask is not good for smoke .

A particulate mask ( such as N95 and the cloth masks ( to some degree ) ) can entrap solids and liquids as long as the micron rating ( size of holes in the mask ) is less than the size of the particle. If the particle size is too small - it will travel thru the mask. So a particulate mask could prevent a carbon particle solid from entering your lungs.

In the case of a gas from combustion - or incomplete combustion - you will end up with the end products of CO2 and water vapor and maybe trace carbon monoxide. These gases will travel directly thru the mask. A mask is ineffective for the hazard.

The main problem though -is that these gases can quickly displace the oxygen in the air and you will end up with asphyxia and can't breath and pass out.

This is not just people with a medical condition ( although it may be worse and quicker ) but any person.

That's why most fire fighters do not use masks. They use supplied air or air cylinders directly with a positive pressure to move it to the mouth.
A fan of RFD
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15137 posts
12228 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
chemicalxv wrote: https://globalnews.ca/news/7419540/mont ... stigation/

Walmart near Montreal got torched Friday night in nearly the exact same way.

Also I found out there was one in Campbell River earlier in October as well.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/man- ... -1.5139911

So that's 8 Walmarts in the span of two months...
Holy Sh!t, Batman.
The bats be crazy
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1266 posts
1705 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote: https://globalnews.ca/news/7419540/mont ... stigation/

Walmart near Montreal got torched Friday night in nearly the exact same way.

Also I found out there was one in Campbell River earlier in October as well.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/man- ... -1.5139911

So that's 8 Walmarts in the span of two months...
They must be quite upset about the decision to discontinue price matching ...
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1299 posts
1032 upvotes
Halifax
chemicalxv wrote: https://globalnews.ca/news/7419540/mont ... stigation/

Walmart near Montreal got torched Friday night in nearly the exact same way.

Also I found out there was one in Campbell River earlier in October as well.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/man- ... -1.5139911

So that's 8 Walmarts in the span of two months...

The Montreal Walmart was started in the Clothing department.

The Three Kit/ Waterloo stores were in the toilet paper department.

For the most part it would be easier to get a fire going with toilet paper than clothing. Depends on the type of clothing though.
It did not seem to get far.

I thought Quebec was all in on masks - that does not make sense.
It is not even a good "copy cat" fire.

“One or more suspects would have put clothes on the ground and then set the fire to them,” said police spokesperson Caroline Chevrefils. “The scene was protected for the arson unit investigators. There’s no suspects, there’s no witnesses, and there’s little damage. The images of the surveillance camera will be viewed by the investigators.”
She said the fire was put out using a fire extinguisher before officers arrived.
A fan of RFD
Sr. Member
Jun 25, 2010
738 posts
211 upvotes
So now my local Freshco told me today that they don’t price match with Fortinos. They’ve already limited Pm’ing to 4 items max. And now this BS.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2007
4119 posts
4668 upvotes
GTA
pialshgiml87 wrote: Walmart is really playing hardball with both their suppliers and their customers.

Suppliers have higher fees than ever to sell in Walmart to help fund walmart.com
and their store renovations. Customers can no longer price match.

I agree that Walmart doesn't necessarily have the best prices for produce, but it is convenient for one-stop shopping. Seeing as I will have to split up my shopping trips now to get the best prices for food, I will probably be dropping Walmart for any future purchases.

Loblaws and Metro have fee-matched Walmart, Sobey's probably next. Thanks again Walmart
https://financialpost.com/news/retail-m ... h-new-fees
https://financialpost.com/news/retail-m ... r-upgrades
https://www.vancourier.com/news/busines ... 1.24227400
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2007
4119 posts
4668 upvotes
GTA
pialshgiml87 wrote: Walmart is really playing hardball with both their suppliers and their customers.

Suppliers have higher fees than ever to sell in Walmart to help fund walmart.com
and their store renovations. Customers can no longer price match.

I agree that Walmart doesn't necessarily have the best prices for produce, but it is convenient for one-stop shopping. Seeing as I will have to split up my shopping trips now to get the best prices for food, I will probably be dropping Walmart for any future purchases.
Big kudos to Sobey's/Empire, they've announced they will NOT follow Walmart, Loblaws and Metro in imposing higher fees on suppliers. Their CEO called these supplier fee hikes "repugnant" and "bad for Canada".
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/grocers-fee ... -1.1514342

Farm Boy (owned by Empire) will have me as a regular customer when they open in my area next year. I might buy some Empire stock too
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
3903 posts
3677 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Kfox wrote: Big kudos to Sobey's/Empire, they've announced they will NOT follow Walmart, Loblaws and Metro in imposing higher fees on suppliers. Their CEO called these supplier fee hikes "repugnant" and "bad for Canada".
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/grocers-fee ... -1.1514342

Farm Boy (owned by Empire) will have me as a regular customer when they open in my area next year. I might buy some Empire stock too
So much for this article lol

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/sobeys-next ... -1.1513243

Top