Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 9:58 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1353 posts
1055 upvotes
Halifax
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I'm pro-competition, optimally if foreigners step in and kick the complacent, arrogant incumbents around. Which Wally clearly has done, to the benefit of Canadian consumers.

Would you rather we rewind back to before WM came to Canada, back to the good old days of the Loblaws-Dominion duopoly, when they paid off the politicians to put Knob Hill Farms out of business?
I wonder how long Walmart will continue to stay if we Canadians keep trying to burn down their stores ?
A fan of RFD
Oct 8, 2020
194 posts
290 upvotes
Ottawa
rdiamond1 wrote: I wonder how long Walmart will continue to stay if we Canadians keep trying to burn down their stores ?
Sobeys will leave Canada before Walmart does!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1353 posts
1055 upvotes
Halifax
SenatorsFan wrote: Sobeys will leave Canada before Walmart does!
LOL !
Have to tell a story :
Myself and two daughters talking about grocery costs.
Daughter 2 : I am going well with my PC Points and have almost $ 600 to spend for Christmas and presents.
Me: Wow that is great !
Daughter 1 : What are you talking about ?
Daughter 2 : PC Optimum points at Superstore
Daughter 1 : I don't know about that . I'm a Sobey's Girl.

We both look at her dumbfounded.

LOL ! People just like what they like.
A fan of RFD
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4674 posts
4187 upvotes
SenatorsFan wrote: Sobeys will leave Canada before Walmart does!
Where would they go? They aren't foreign!
Friendly reminder #1: Keurig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4674 posts
4187 upvotes
SenatorsFan wrote: They would go bankrupt!
I know this is offtopic for this thread, but in many parts of Ontario (GTA for sure, probably Ottawa too) I can see the Sobey's name disappearing and being replaced by either Farm Boy (in affluent to mid-income areas) and FreshCo (areas that are not). Where I live, about a year after Farm Boy opened, the nearby Sobey's closed. We already have a FreshCo (formerly Price Chopper), so the redundant, weakest link got cut. Sobey's as a company will live on but their eponymous banner may not. Before it closed, I probably hadn't set foot in the Sobeys for at least 3 years, while I definitely shop at Farm Boy and FreshCo.

We saw Loblaws do this about 20 years ago when many "Loblaws" stores suddenly became No Frills, and now in many parts of the country (western Canada for sure) the Loblaws banner doesn't exist, only No Frills and RCSS.
Friendly reminder #1: Keurig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Oct 8, 2020
194 posts
290 upvotes
Ottawa
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: I know this is offtopic for this thread, but in many parts of Ontario (GTA for sure, probably Ottawa too) I can see the Sobey's name disappearing and being replaced by either Farm Boy (in affluent to mid-income areas) and FreshCo (areas that are not). Where I live, about a year after Farm Boy opened, the nearby Sobey's closed. We already have a FreshCo (formerly Price Chopper), so the redundant, weakest link got cut. Sobey's as a company will live on but their eponymous banner may not. Before it closed, I probably hadn't set foot in the Sobeys for at least 3 years, while I definitely shop at Farm Boy and FreshCo.

We saw Loblaws do this about 20 years ago when many "Loblaws" stores suddenly became No Frills, and now in many parts of the country (western Canada for sure) the Loblaws banner doesn't exist, only No Frills and RCSS.
OK, fair point. Sobeys is a subsidiary of Empire. Maybe it's not so much that Empire is going bankrupt as it is that Sobeys will be rebranded. It's my understanding that Sobeys is still very popular in Atlantic Canada. Sobeys still owns the IGA brand which is very popular in Quebec. There's been a few stories where Metro wanted to close underperforming stores and the union convinced them to rebrand those locations to Food Basics. I go back to my hometown of Toronto a couple times a year. A former Loblaws and Fortinos have both been converted into No Frills and a Metro has been converted to Food Basics. I don't know if people realize that when these companies convert their flagship brands to discount brands, a certain amount of jobs go away with the brand (especially full-time jobs with benefits). I understand we're all struggling but when these chains convert, much of those savings come with a smaller and less expensive workforce which affects us, family and friends.

I'm not saying Walmart is any better in wanting as few full-time non-managers as possible. When I first started working for Walmart 7+ years ago, each department had a full-time department manager and 1-2 full-time sales associates who were the department manager's righthand people. Now those full-time non-managers don't get replaced in most instances especially on the non-grocery side of the store. High volume/high sales departments (grocery) do depend on some full-timers. Also, the full-timers in those areas are usually getting groomed to be promoted. The front-end used to be littered with full-timers which are now a minority. Even full-time front-end supervisors (known as Customer Service Managers aka CSMs) are being replaced with part-timers when they resign or take on a different position. It's not the guarantee of hours that costs the company, it's the associated benefits.

While you have Loblaws & Metro taking away amenities by converting their flagship brands to their discount brands; Walmart is on track to be a discount brand store with the same types of amenities that are typically associated with higher prices. Walmart is essentially saying that you can have both. That's where they think they have an opportunity to increase their market share and become even more competitive. I can feel a rebuttal coming on from some of you. 'Non-discount chains don't have price-matching which Walmart just got rid of' to which I reply that Food Basics competes in the discount category and they don't price-match.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2515 posts
2115 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
SenatorsFan wrote: OK, fair point. Sobeys is a subsidiary of Empire. Maybe it's not so much that Empire is going bankrupt as it is that Sobeys will be rebranded. It's my understanding that Sobeys is still very popular in Atlantic Canada. Sobeys still owns the IGA brand which is very popular in Quebec. There's been a few stories where Metro wanted to close underperforming stores and the union convinced them to rebrand those locations to Food Basics. I go back to my hometown of Toronto a couple times a year. A former Loblaws and Fortinos have both been converted into No Frills and a Metro has been converted to Food Basics. I don't know if people realize that when these companies convert their flagship brands to discount brands, a certain amount of jobs go away with the brand (especially full-time jobs with benefits). I understand we're all struggling but when these chains convert, much of those savings come with a smaller and less expensive workforce which affects us, family and friends.

I'm not saying Walmart is any better in wanting as few full-time non-managers as possible. When I first started working for Walmart 7+ years ago, each department had a full-time department manager and 1-2 full-time sales associates who were the department manager's righthand people. Now those full-time non-managers don't get replaced in most instances especially on the non-grocery side of the store. High volume/high sales departments (grocery) do depend on some full-timers. Also, the full-timers in those areas are usually getting groomed to be promoted. The front-end used to be littered with full-timers which are now a minority. Even full-time front-end supervisors (known as Customer Service Managers aka CSMs) are being replaced with part-timers when they resign or take on a different position. It's not the guarantee of hours that costs the company, it's the associated benefits.

While you have Loblaws & Metro taking away amenities by converting their flagship brands to their discount brands; Walmart is on track to be a discount brand store with the same types of amenities that are typically associated with higher prices. Walmart is essentially saying that you can have both. That's where they think they have an opportunity to increase their market share and become even more competitive. I can feel a rebuttal coming on from some of you. 'Non-discount chains don't have price-matching which Walmart just got rid of' to which I reply that Food Basics competes in the discount category and they don't price-match.
Sounds like what Loblaw did in the 1990s. Let the full time staff retire then replace them with part time staff. Get the union to agree to higher full time pay but at the cost of part time pay. Slowly change things and then profit.

The change to discount banners is annoying, mainly because I like the amenities of "high end" grocery stores. But I know why they do it, the discount banner union contract is usually the same or worse than the "high end" banner's equivalent. Less so at Metro & Food Basics but moreso at No Frills (the stores are franchised, part timers don't get health benefits that the corporate part timers get). The biggest savings comes from staffing (fewer floor staff at discount stores) and seniority abandonment (for some reason when a Metro is converted to a Food Basics all the staff lose their seniority, different contracts yes but same benefits and the same owner).
DUCA credit union member
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3434 posts
1148 upvotes
Ontario
Quick question for those who grocery Pick Up:

Can you use a Walmart eGift card online?

Or can these only be used in store?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.2%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1496 posts
1239 upvotes
Winnipeg
minimalist wrote: Quick question for those who grocery Pick Up:

Can you use a Walmart eGift card online?

Or can these only be used in store?
You can use them online, max of 4 gift cards per order.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1585 posts
707 upvotes
GTA
Was frequent Walmart shopper. Since October 15, i have not set foot once. I price match pretty much everything.