Walmart Ad Match ending October 15, 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2020 8:04 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13205 posts
2215 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I wanted to pm RCSS's CoffeeMate sale at Save-on-Foods, but they only carried International Delight?!?!?Had to go to WM to do the pm, where they kindly let me know pm'ing was ending soon.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
2097 posts
227 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
Walmart has been my go-to for grocery pickup for the last few month.. I usually match like $9 worth of difference per order, so not too crazy. Will finish up my gift cards before Oct I guess.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2536 posts
3977 upvotes
blakjak wrote: ...and I’m sure the people waiting in line after you were ecstatic!
Please see the message that said that this was done online.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3254 posts
1086 upvotes
Woodbridge
My wife and I price-match at Walmart every week. Most cashiers are very quick and we have everything set up on Flipp. We might add 30 seconds to our entire check-out process, and most others that I see price-matching are the same. I did the math once - we save about $130/month just on our weekly groceries. Things like cheese, eggs, produce, ice cream, yogurt, cereal, salad dressing, pop, chicken breast etc.... the $0.20 here and $1.00 there really do add up. People are LIVID if Rogers tries to increase their monthly bill by $5 but then get equally annoyed at the folks in line trying to save $30/week on their groceries. Oh well. I guess No Frills and FreshCo it is.
Aug 22, 2016
90 posts
33 upvotes
in and out of a vici…
rvcupcake wrote: Found on my Instagram feed.

Such BS. If there's been only "minimal use of the Ad Match program", the delays at checkout cannot be impactful.

Walmart, just admit you're further maximizing profits during a pandemic.

"For more than 26 years, we have been building trust with our customers."

And within 1 month, that trust will be breached.

Also: is "minimal usage of our Ad Match program" a euphemism for "maximal discounts to RFDers"?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18405 posts
6419 upvotes
Toronto
DrewDamage wrote: "For more than 26 years, we have been building trust with our customers."

And within 1 month, that trust will be breached.

Also: is "minimal usage of our Ad Match program" a euphemism for "maximal discounts to RFDers"?
Trust me this is going to backfire like crazy and they will be back to price matching in January or earlier.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1027 posts
463 upvotes
Well, this is disappointing for sure. I really don't buy their excuse that fewer people are price matching overall. Sure, I can see during the pandemic but not in general,. Walmart regular prices overall with very few exceptions are always higher than their competition.

I now expect others like Loblaws and Overwaitea to follow suit as well.

I'm very curious though to see if in this is just a "Canadian thing" or if it's in Walmart USA. I know in the US they're really gung-ho on coupons and price-matching.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1027 posts
463 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Trust me this is going to backfire like crazy and they will be back to price matching in January or earlier.
We're Canadians. We would never fight for our rights and freedoms...there's always a few exceptions of course and this won't be one of them. The masses will just "suck-it-up" like with our high cell phone data plans and rates.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18405 posts
6419 upvotes
Toronto
sheyenne wrote: We're Canadians. We would never fight for our rights and freedoms...there's always a few exceptions of course and this won't be one of them. The masses will just "suck-it-up" like with our high cell phone data plans and rates.
Well once they realize they are going to lose sales to No Frills/FreshCo and other places, they will think twice. It will happen.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1027 posts
463 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: My wife and I price-match at Walmart every week. Most cashiers are very quick and we have everything set up on Flipp. We might add 30 seconds to our entire check-out process, and most others that I see price-matching are the same. I did the math once - we save about $130/month just on our weekly groceries. Things like cheese, eggs, produce, ice cream, yogurt, cereal, salad dressing, pop, chicken breast etc.... the $0.20 here and $1.00 there really do add up. People are LIVID if Rogers tries to increase their monthly bill by $5 but then get equally annoyed at the folks in line trying to save $30/week on their groceries. Oh well. I guess No Frills and FreshCo it is.

I'm not sure if there's Loblaws where you are. But it seems the staff at many chain grocery stores are becoming more ignorant than ever, much like people in general it seems. I was at Superstore and wanted them to price match with their sister company Canadian Whole Sale Club. There's a store about 3 km away. The cashier never heard of them. She called her supervisor who was in her mid-40s and she never heard of them either, but she asked how many items and it was just one, so she let it through.

I also had one senior employee at Walmart refuse to PM a Coke product which was on sale. I know he wasn't a new employee. I told him that you've been working here for a long time now and you know very well when one of these Coke products go on sale they all do, I also had a pic on my phone of the item. He reluctantly agreed but not after spending a few minutes in line debating the price match. It reminded me of the old Future Shop and Staple days.

I don't buy for a second Walmart's excuse. They just want to increase their retail profit margins, that's the actual reason they're doing this.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1027 posts
463 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Well once they realize they are going to lose sales to No Frills/FreshCo and other places, they will think twice. It will happen.
Hell no. In BC most of us avoid No Frills/FreshCo like the plague. They rarely have their flyer items in stock and it's always a zoo here.
Aug 22, 2016
90 posts
33 upvotes
in and out of a vici…
mbutuk wrote: New payment terminals were just installed at our store, and the cashier said they will be programmed for tap "very soon".

So Walmart is late to the tap party, but early to the price-match crime scene?

If this were a game of Clue, I suggest it was Colonel McMillon in the board room with a PowerPoint presentation.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1027 posts
463 upvotes
DrewDamage wrote: So Walmart is late to the tap party, but early to the price-match crime scene?
There you go, just one (additional) reason to justify their new no price match policy.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3637 posts
9185 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
An ongoing pandemic coupled with upcoming winter months means most people will likely want a one-stop shopping experience and will have to pay WM prices if that's where they choose to/have to shop.

Not having tap during a pandemic significantly reduced my shopping at WM and no PM'ing effectively will stop it.

mbutuk wrote: New payment terminals were just installed at our store, and the cashier said they will be programmed for tap "very soon".
A few days ago I commented to the WM checkout clerk "Oh, new payment machines...buuuut, no tap?". She said tap will be available next month. Hmmm, when's PM'ing ending again?