[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9056 posts
2763 upvotes

Walmart announce $3.5B investment in Canada

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/w ... 31149.html

"Accelerating digitization to create "smarter stores", including:
Expanded electronic shelf labels, shelf scanners to monitor product volumes, robotics and computer vision cameras to simplify, minimize touches and maximize efficiency and accuracy
A new checkout experience to reduce touchpoints, including tap-to-pay, new bigger self-checkout and "Check Out With Me" mobile payment technology to allow associates to checkout customers anywhere in the store"

The investment is more then Target bought and renovated 100+ zellers for
Last edited by zoro69 on Jul 20th, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
95 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10828 posts
3114 upvotes
Newmarket
Glad to see they're finally going to launch Tap to Pay.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11681 posts
532 upvotes
Nice to see them planning to evolve.

WalMart got to where they are in the 1990s and 2000s because of superior IT compared to their competitors.

Amazon overtook them because they were building everything new.

It looks like this is an attempt to catch up to where Amazon is heading as they dabble in storefronts here and there. They are doing this from a position of strength because they already know storefront retail far better than Amazon does, and Amazon has so far failed at groceries.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19162 posts
22050 upvotes
GTA
No surprise. The big box stores did very well during covid, at the expense of the smaller shops that were forced to close. Pretty soon it will just be big box stores or amazon.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5196 posts
2792 upvotes
GTA
WorldIRC wrote: Glad to see they're finally going to launch Tap to Pay.
Finally. And it only took a pandemic to do so.

Pumps at gas stations will be the only place I can't tap to pay at soon... cept for Petro.
Sep 26, 2011
329 posts
432 upvotes
engineered wrote: No surprise. The big box stores did very well during covid, at the expense of the smaller shops that were forced to close. Pretty soon it will just be big box stores or amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7073 posts
7577 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I'm going to assume "tap to pay" is just going to be Walmart Pay until they announce otherwise, especially given they also announced the "Check out with me" program as well.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
10579 posts
2821 upvotes
Vancouver
Meanwhile Costco is still literally DOS based Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19162 posts
22050 upvotes
GTA
Dave98 wrote: Finally. And it only took a pandemic to do so.

Pumps at gas stations will be the only place I can't tap to pay at soon... cept for Petro.
I think CT gas bar pumps recently added tap to pay, which is nice.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
643 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Any clue when Walmart+ will be here in Canada? Seems it is USA only atm. Amazon is really starting to slip up and I am looking for a viable alternative.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5678 posts
6902 upvotes
GTA
Doesn't really matter to me since I won't be shopping there until they change their return policy and start accepting returns on open items again.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
With electronic labels they're just catching up with Loblaw

But electronic labels are nice, since it guarantees that the price is correct, paper labels suck and are often wrong or missing (especially at Walmart).
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14715 posts
4836 upvotes
Montreal
tew wrote: Doesn't really matter to me since I won't be shopping there until they change their return policy and start accepting returns on open items again.
And start allowing 30-day Price Protection again, as these two seem to be going hand-in-hand.

No returns on open items = additional leverage for Walmart to discontinue consumer-friendly programs like this. No open returns = no Price Protection, as there is also no threat of "Okay, I'll just return this one, and buy a new one at the lower price", especially for items with serial numbers.
My last and final digital game I purchased at PSN from those Sony Devils was on November 22, 2020 - Ban that Sorny!
Jul 11, 2017
552 posts
546 upvotes
jacnel wrote: With electronic labels they're just catching up with Loblaw

But electronic labels are nice, since it guarantees that the price is correct, paper labels suck and are often wrong or missing (especially at Walmart).
I know personally, I can't wait till our store gets them. There are always soooo many issues with our labels. I know the person who does labels on Wednesday nights for the flyer flip, and it's always difficult since labels are missing, or labels are wrong. I know my store is so bad that my coworker on nights doesn't even change labels in the paper aisle, it's always a mess, and the whole aisle is out of whack (NOTHING where it is suppose to be). But I know our store isn't gonna get digital labels for probably a few more years at this rate. I know Zehrs and even No Frills has already gotten them!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: Glad to see they're finally going to launch Tap to Pay.
It was a terrible time to switch to a new payment terminal for Walmart. They basically signed a contract JUST before RFID payments became mainstream, so they were stuck with it for however long.
Looks like the contract is finally expiring.

chemicalxv wrote: I'm going to assume "tap to pay" is just going to be Walmart Pay until they announce otherwise
I'm pretty sure it's the RFID based payment that you "tap" on the card readers. I don't think they're going to have a self branded one like other companies. Or if they do, it'll be a separate thing.
Currently all Walmart terminals are solely PIN based.
1226 wrote: Meanwhile Costco is still literally DOS based Face With Tears Of Joy
Which is light years ahead of most financial systems which are COBOL based. They can't even get new devs since they're literally dying and no one is replacing them.
tew wrote: Doesn't really matter to me since I won't be shopping there until they change their return policy and start accepting returns on open items again.
I just returned an opened notebook like 2 weeks ago.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5678 posts
6902 upvotes
GTA
death_hawk wrote:
You're lucky. "We will not accept returns on any opened products or any item without a receipt if purchased after March 20."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7073 posts
7577 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
death_hawk wrote: It was a terrible time to switch to a new payment terminal for Walmart. They basically signed a contract JUST before RFID payments became mainstream, so they were stuck with it for however long.
Looks like the contract is finally expiring.

I'm pretty sure it's the RFID based payment that you "tap" on the card readers. I don't think they're going to have a self branded one like other companies. Or if they do, it'll be a separate thing.
Currently all Walmart terminals are solely PIN based.
Which is light years ahead of most financial systems which are COBOL based. They can't even get new devs since they're literally dying and no one is replacing them.
They've been running Walmart Pay in the US for awhile. I don't see why they'd do anything different up here, considering that's the entire reason they haven't added in regular contactless yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2991 posts
2799 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
johnb56789 wrote: I know personally, I can't wait till our store gets them. There are always soooo many issues with our labels. I know the person who does labels on Wednesday nights for the flyer flip, and it's always difficult since labels are missing, or labels are wrong. I know my store is so bad that my coworker on nights doesn't even change labels in the paper aisle, it's always a mess, and the whole aisle is out of whack (NOTHING where it is suppose to be). But I know our store isn't gonna get digital labels for probably a few more years at this rate. I know Zehrs and even No Frills has already gotten them!
Plus digital labels save the company money from having to pay out SCOP
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
For a company as rich as they are, I'm surprised they're not leading in some of the tech they're now doing. I think Amazon was the impetus here. Electronic tags for instance is the way of the future and looking at some of the stores now, it's going to be night and day. Most of the stores now have bent, broken shelves with missing price tags. It's about time they opened up the purse strings.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5196 posts
2792 upvotes
GTA
chemicalxv wrote: They've been running Walmart Pay in the US for awhile. I don't see why they'd do anything different up here, considering that's the entire reason they haven't added in regular contactless yet.
I never looked into how Walmart Pay works. Are they restricting NFC access to their own app?

or is it a system similar to SpeedPass from Esso?
Last edited by Dave98 on Jul 20th, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.