Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Bowflex SelectTech 4.1 Adjustable Bench ($149)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2019 11:37 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2009
346 posts
150 upvotes
Niagara Region

[Walmart] Bowflex SelectTech 4.1 Adjustable Bench ($149)

Needed a bench Flexed Biceps, came across this. Looks like decent quality and regular 249 down too 149 free ship. $168.37 all in with hst.

Adjusts to five different positions for total
versatility: 30°, 45°, 90°, flat and decline

Max weight is 480lbs

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/bowflex-se ... 0198385374
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6199 posts
6153 upvotes
Downtown Canada
I guess OP you only do dumbels, cause thats pretty much it.
Mar 8, 2009
148 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
TransporterSD wrote: I guess OP you only do dumbels, cause thats pretty much it.
Do you lie on the floor when you do a bench press?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1611 posts
750 upvotes
That's good deal for a FID bench. I probably would've gone for something heavier when I was younger, but for most people I bet this would do just fine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6199 posts
6153 upvotes
Downtown Canada
angel_wing0 wrote: Nothing wrong with that. But seems like a good deal, thanks OP!
I am not disputing that, I would spend a bit more and pick up something with bench press or one one of those all in one machines
[OP]
Jan 26, 2009
346 posts
150 upvotes
Niagara Region
TransporterSD wrote: I guess OP you only do dumbels, cause thats pretty much it.
Yup, mostly just crank my tunes and do dumbbells, bodyweight and tensioner band exercises. Also hit the bag and run a little for cardio.

This will surely beat the ottoman I have been using. Hundred Points Symbol
Jul 5, 2018
337 posts
1457 upvotes
In general I prefer standing exercises but when it comes to a bench you can do many things such as these:
Dumbbell press (incline, flat, and decline)
Bulgarian split squats
Dumbbell incline rows
Dumbbell pullover
Seated overhead press

A workout is what you make of it and even simple pieces of equipment can have a lot of functionality.

Actually even going for a bench which you can use for bench pressing wouldn't offer much of a benefit unless you're going higher end and it can accommodate squats with safeties. But that's a whole other price point. If you're putting that much money into a home gym you mydaswell go for a cage at that point (space permitting).
Jun 28, 2019
74 posts
154 upvotes
Uranus
This would work as a bench for a multi gym or smith machine type deal too though. There's other racks that would maybe also work.

I had a York 3000 power station that had a freestyle bench kind of like this. The whole setup was only $500ish brand new though. Have seen them go for even $200-300 on Kijiji too, but that's kinda rare.

Only thing I noticed is that this bench doesn't accept weights for leg stuff, like leg extensions and leg curls. I'd only miss doing the leg curls though tbh.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7158 posts
1820 upvotes
Toronto
pres_00 wrote: What's the Bowflex?
its the company that made that equipment.
Nov 2, 2003
247 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Hey man - I need a bench and this is perfect. Ordering one, thanks!
Jul 5, 2018
337 posts
1457 upvotes
habuyeths wrote: What do people think of the Bowflex bench compared to the CAP Barbell Bench on clearance at Canadian Tire?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cap- ... #store=152
I'm going to be completely honest and write it as candid and detailed as possible.

It honestly depends on the user. This would suit a very narrow user base perfectly long term.

Their FID bench which is comparable to this is very low capacity and not as stable.
The one you specifically linked I wouldn't recommend for males who are looking to get as strong as possible.
Vinyl plates are bulky and not very practical. Many people are trying to dump them. They have atrocious resale value and are easy to get on Kijiji because of that. The bar for this set is likely very low capacity and I wouldn't recommend it for anything heavier than the weight set that comes with it.

Structurally I'm guessing the bar stands would be very narrow and also low capacity as it isn't meant for a heavy weight. There are some bench sets that are conservative in their weight capacities for stability. From what I've heard CAP benches actually lose some stability even as you approach their "capacity". The capacity of this set for user weight and equipment weight is 300 lbs. I honestly wouldn't recommend going over about 250 as it's meant to be a cheap bench.

In general a male who is actually trying to get stronger would find this very limited. When I began lifting many years ago very self conscious of my strength I attempted to bench for the first time. I could barely do 60 for a few reps which is very weak for many males even their first time. It's been a long time so I can't give an exact time frame but I believe I was up to 100 in about 1-2 months. New lifters can improve quickly.

A female lifter might struggle with 35-65 the first time if they haven't worked out before or aren't very active. Also females often gain strength a bit slower than males due to physiological differences. Depending on current strength, genetics, current training program etc it could take 4-16 months for female lifters. Someone with a very thin build, short, that weighs about 100 lbs and has never really exercised will likely take longer to max the set out than someone who has always been active, weighs 140, and has a larger natural frame.

So who is the narrow user base I mentioned?
1. Females who are looking to get stronger and already aren't too strong. Even if it's outgrown in say 1 year or so the user will be much healthier in many ways. Its much cheaper than a gym membership. But you'll need to be inventive on exercises if you don't have dumbbells.
2. Those who are just looking for a basic workout at home to sweat a little bit sometimes. They can do higher repetitions and push themselves a bit
3. Those who will have a combined weight when factoring in what they lift of under 250 lbs.

The Bowflex bench while it doesn't have uprights for the bar is much higher weight capacity and would be more stable.

In general any product you're looking at I'd recommend looking at the weight capacity and keep a bit of breathing room in there. So if it says 300 including weight consider it 250.

The best time to find deals on used exercise equipment is September and January/February/March. In September all the summer people are trying to offload their expensive equipment that they may not have used to their full advantage before snow falls. Sometimes you can see $300+ weight benches with uprights for $100ish. Some have attachments such as a lat attachment for a bit more. Scope out kijiji if you want a good deal on used weight sets sometimes. It might take a while but something could come up.

Also there might be sales related to new years in December/January at some stores.

Anyways I wrote a lot more than I intended.
So I'll finish with this:
It doesn't matter what you buy, as long as you'll use it and work out. Doing any exercise is better than none. It just depends on a person's motivations.

Edit:
Here's a bit more information regarding average strength standards to get a bit of a feel for how long this set will last. Obviously everyone will be different and this doesn't apply to everyone.
https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards
Novice is 3 months
Intermediate is 1 year
Advanced is multiple years
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1558 posts
343 upvotes
Whitby
I’ve seen that Canadian tire set and it’s garbage. Little to no padding on the bench which could cause some back issues. The bar is short and is easily bent.

The bow flex bench seems a decent choice for a dumbbell workout.