Expired Hot Deals

Walmart

Breyer's Creamery Style Ice Cream 1.66L $2.88 & Heinz Seriously Good Mayo 675-800mL or Miracle Whip 890mL $1.97 each -ON

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 3:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough

[Walmart] Breyer's Creamery Style Ice Cream 1.66L $2.88 & Heinz Seriously Good Mayo 675-800mL or Miracle Whip 890mL $1.97 each -ON

Last edited by Strafe1 on Aug 2nd, 2020 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
45 replies
Dec 25, 2017
457 posts
1070 upvotes
for those in Quebec, i succesfully price matched the 2$ offer at Maxi with all of their flavors through Walmart Online Order with the code Quebec60/montreal60 for 20$ off the order. Comes out to about 1.80$ per 1.66L
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
Ew. Breyers? At least it's the black box, but it's still awful ice cream.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 25, 2017
457 posts
1070 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Ew. Breyers? At least it's the black box, but it's still awful ice cream.
Does it really make a difference in a milkshake? How much do you weigh that you have assessed the quality of all leading brands of icecream? What brand do you suggest big guy?
Jan 8, 2014
195 posts
25 upvotes
Brossard
nUseBro wrote: for those in Quebec, i succesfully price matched the 2$ offer at Maxi with all of their flavors through Walmart Online Order with the code Quebec60/montreal60 for 20$ off the order. Comes out to about 1.80$ per 1.66L
How do you price match online?
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
35 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Ew. Breyers? At least it's the black box, but it's still awful ice cream.
Agreed, even their real ice cream tastes like crap now with all the gums and additives they've ruined it with.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2372 posts
5224 upvotes
Markham
nUseBro wrote: Does it really make a difference in a milkshake? How much do you weigh that you have assessed the quality of all leading brands of icecream? What brand do you suggest big guy?
I don't eat ice cream a lot, but I've tried Haagen Daz (or however you spell that fake European name), Ben & Jerry, Movenpick, Kawartha (the big tubes that Costco sells) and Breyers "Creamery style". The Breyers were absolutely the worst... Their vanilla ice cream has no flavor except sweetness, and the texture is bad.

I can understand if they don't compare to the premium ice cream brands, but even Kawartha was miles better and it's cheaper too! And yes, it's very noticeable even in a milkshake or an affogato.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24139 posts
12175 upvotes
Toronto
nUseBro wrote: Does it really make a difference in a milkshake? How much do you weigh that you have assessed the quality of all leading brands of icecream? What brand do you suggest big guy?
Wow ...

So anyways, to answer your question, Real Dairy is a good line ...
I also do not usually buy Breyers because of the taste.

Definitely an ice cream connoisseur over here lol
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1936 posts
1167 upvotes
Edmonton
Yes it does.......quality over price. I havent touched Breyers for years. Even Save On's Western Foods ice cream is 10x times better
Nov 3, 2012
32 posts
17 upvotes
I’ll just leave this here

I haven’t bought Breyers ice cream in years no matter what flavor or style it is
May 15, 2017
268 posts
292 upvotes
Breyer's is awful.

They changed their formula years ago and if you leave a bowl out overnight, it doesn't melt (a weird clear goo emerges from the bottom).

Even if that doesn't bother people, the taste is still pretty off.

Kawartha is a significant upgrade over this crap.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1192 posts
1736 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: I don't eat ice cream a lot, but I've tried Haagen Daz (or however you spell that fake European name), Ben & Jerry, Movenpick, Kawartha (the big tubes that Costco sells) and Breyers "Creamery style". The Breyers were absolutely the worst... Their vanilla ice cream has no flavor except sweetness, and the texture is bad.

I can understand if they don't compare to the premium ice cream brands, but even Kawartha was miles better and it's cheaper too! And yes, it's very noticeable even in a milkshake or an affogato.
so which ones were the best in your opinion?
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2372 posts
5224 upvotes
Markham
gotglint wrote: so which ones were the best in your opinion?
Ben & Jerry doesn't really count since they only have their own flavors, and none of the staples like Vanilla or plain ol chocolate (I guess chocolate therapy counts but I have trouble finding it). I think I prefer Haagen Daz slightly over Movenpick but wouldn't mind either. Trying to go a bit more healthy these days though so in terms of which I buy the most, it's probably Kawartha.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10730 posts
3275 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I once made the mistake of buying the blue box, omg god awful, threw it in the bin and it didn't even melt lol
Jul 6, 2009
585 posts
75 upvotes
Markham
lol, you know breyers is hurting when they have to label "REAL ICE CREAM" so what's the other crap they sell?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
10730 posts
3275 upvotes
Montreal, QC
AsuranZala123 wrote: lol, you know breyers is hurting when they have to label "REAL ICE CREAM" so what's the other crap they sell?
Frozen dessert lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
nUseBro wrote: Does it really make a difference in a milkshake?
Probably not. But I'm not buying ice cream to make milkshakes. I'm buying ice cream to have ice cream.
To be honest... if it was a milkshake (especially a flavored milkshake) I'd buy the commercial 15L tubs.
How much do you weigh that you have assessed the quality of all leading brands of icecream?
The leading brands makes it easy. Well nationally available brands anyways.... Regional brands are a little more difficult.
Obviously the extremely local brands I haven't tried unless you happen to be in BC/Alberta which in case I may have.
But the big ones like Breyer's/HD/B&J/Chapmans/Large store house brands like PC/Foremost (AB)/and a few others I'm probably missing off hand I have tried.
If you name a large brand, I've probably tried it.
What brand do you suggest big guy?
This is gonna be a generalized statement, but extreme local. This might be hit or miss too

Let's go down the nationally available list:
Breyers Blue: No cream so they legally can't call it ice cream. It's the absolute most garbage thing in the freezer section. Seriously. Go read the ingredient list. But it's cheap. And it's cheap for a reason. There's nothing in it that's food.
Breyers Black (aka this): It at least has cream. But it's the absolute minimum amount of cream in there to be legally called ice cream. It's still awful. But again cheap. And cheap for a reason still.
HD: Most people love HD. While it does have a pure ingredient list (generally cream milk eggs sugar plus whatever flavorings) to me it tastes.... flat. Like it's missing richness. Not really satisfying to me. Especially considering the price, I'm not a fan.
B&J: A little wacky in terms of flavor to make a real judgement. I feel like you're eating the toppings more than focusing on ice cream.
Chapmans: I swear their budget line has so much overrun that if you somehow managed to replace the air with helium it'd float away.
PC: Just no. "Chocolatey chips"? Not surprising since most PC products suck.

So what do I recommend? Making your own. Obviously this is a fairly large task with specialized equipment needed, but it'll absolutely destroy ice cream in retail form for you.
Everything else is just gonna suck.
Just as a benchmark, it costs me about $5/L to make ice cream. By default, anything costing less means they're cutting corners on ingredients. HD is about the closest thing when on sale but as I said above, it's still not very good.

Now... how about buying?
The trick is finding a local joint that actually makes their base. Quite a few places just buy a premix bag and churn it which isn't really any better.

It's not going to be cheap though. It's a small (large) price to pay for ice cream that's actually good.

Speaking of not cheap, if you go with the premium dairy route, it's close to $10/L.
But you're getting the absolute best ice cream you'll ever eat. Nationally available cream has stabilizers in it.
Someone like Avalon Dairy doesn't, but cream instead of being $3/L is like $8/L.

Once you have an ice cream that's unbridled by food cost, it'll change your life forever.
And now that it's strawberry season I think I might go buy some local berries and make some strawberry ice cream.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
AsuranZala123 wrote: lol, you know breyers is hurting when they have to label "REAL ICE CREAM" so what's the other crap they sell?
Oh they got tricky! They used to list ingredients on their website.

Also their FAQ is hilarious.
https://www.breyers.com/ca/en/faq.html

8) What is a Frozen Dairy Dessert?
Frozen Dairy Dessert products are made with many of the same high-quality ingredients that are commonly found in Ice Cream – like fresh milk, cream and sugar – and offer a great taste and even smoother texture. According to Canadian regulations, in order for a product to be labeled ice cream, it needs to meet the standard which includes being;

• Not less than 10% dairy fat
• A minimum of 36% solids by weight

Anything that does not meet both of those requirements is not considered ice cream.

Since those jerks don't have ingredients any more (probably because they're horrifying) I had to dig through my old posts to find this:

INGREDIENTS: MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SUGAR, WATER, GLUCOSE, COCONUT OIL, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOUR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, VEGETABLE GUMS (GUAR, CAROB BEAN), CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL COLOUR.

So that FAQ is already bullshit because the only thing in common with real ice cream is sugar. There's not even milk in Frozen Dessert.
To be fair, OP's deal is legally ice cream so it has to have at least cream. But you bet your bottom dollar that it has the absolute minimum amount of cream that's legally required. The rest is still gums and stabilizers and other filler that's nice and cheap.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2372 posts
5224 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: Probably not. But I'm not buying ice cream to make milkshakes. I'm buying ice cream to have ice cream.
To be honest... if it was a milkshake (especially a flavored milkshake) I'd buy the commercial 15L tubs.

The leading brands makes it easy. Well nationally available brands anyways.... Regional brands are a little more difficult.
Obviously the extremely local brands I haven't tried unless you happen to be in BC/Alberta which in case I may have.
But the big ones like Breyer's/HD/B&J/Chapmans/Large store house brands like PC/Foremost (AB)/and a few others I'm probably missing off hand I have tried.
If you name a large brand, I've probably tried it.

This is gonna be a generalized statement, but extreme local. This might be hit or miss too

Let's go down the nationally available list:
Breyers Blue: No cream so they legally can't call it ice cream. It's the absolute most garbage thing in the freezer section. Seriously. Go read the ingredient list. But it's cheap. And it's cheap for a reason. There's nothing in it that's food.
Breyers Black (aka this): It at least has cream. But it's the absolute minimum amount of cream in there to be legally called ice cream. It's still awful. But again cheap. And cheap for a reason still.
HD: Most people love HD. While it does have a pure ingredient list (generally cream milk eggs sugar plus whatever flavorings) to me it tastes.... flat. Like it's missing richness. Not really satisfying to me. Especially considering the price, I'm not a fan.
B&J: A little wacky in terms of flavor to make a real judgement. I feel like you're eating the toppings more than focusing on ice cream.
Chapmans: I swear their budget line has so much overrun that if you somehow managed to replace the air with helium it'd float away.
PC: Just no. "Chocolatey chips"? Not surprising since most PC products suck.

So what do I recommend? Making your own. Obviously this is a fairly large task with specialized equipment needed, but it'll absolutely destroy ice cream in retail form for you.
Everything else is just gonna suck.
Just as a benchmark, it costs me about $5/L to make ice cream. By default, anything costing less means they're cutting corners on ingredients. HD is about the closest thing when on sale but as I said above, it's still not very good.

Now... how about buying?
The trick is finding a local joint that actually makes their base. Quite a few places just buy a premix bag and churn it which isn't really any better.

It's not going to be cheap though. It's a small (large) price to pay for ice cream that's actually good.

Speaking of not cheap, if you go with the premium dairy route, it's close to $10/L.
But you're getting the absolute best ice cream you'll ever eat. Nationally available cream has stabilizers in it.
Someone like Avalon Dairy doesn't, but cream instead of being $3/L is like $8/L.

Once you have an ice cream that's unbridled by food cost, it'll change your life forever.
And now that it's strawberry season I think I might go buy some local berries and make some strawberry ice cream.
You might have me convinced. What equipment do you use to make ice cream?

Price isn't an issue, I would rather eat less ice cream and have it be better quality. It's healthier that way anyways, and makes it taste even better when I do make it.
death_hawk wrote: So that FAQ is already bullshit because the only thing in common with real ice cream is sugar. There's not even milk in Frozen Dessert.
To be fair, OP's deal is legally ice cream so it has to have at least cream. But you bet your bottom dollar that it has the absolute minimum amount of cream that's legally required. The rest is still gums and stabilizers and other filler that's nice and cheap.
Reminds me of McDonald's 100% beef claim. Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by Dave510 on Aug 2nd, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.