Walmart.ca Authorization Expired, Item Not Delivered

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2020 9:20 am
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa

Walmart.ca Authorization Expired, Item Not Delivered

I can't believe I work for Walmart and I'm posting this here. My management and Walmart.ca call centre weren't very helpful. I ordered for something on Walmart.ca for Black Friday. The item says it's been processing since last Friday. This morning, I got a text alert from my credit card saying the authorization was expired and the money added back to my credit limit. I called Walmart.ca this morning and was told that the tracking isn't being updated for many items. However, as today was the item's expected delivery date that it should be here today or tomorrow and they're using couriers who deliver Saturdays. I was told if the item isn't delivered by Monday to call back.

Has this happened to anybody else?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Yes the temp charge can expire, they'll charge again when it really ships. I never pay attention to the temp charges.

Old Navy is apparently bad for that too.. they'll debit peoples account, then it expires, and they recharge at shipping. Old Navy example is for debit, not credit. I've seen people on facebook freaking out about it. They think the order was cancelled, and spend the money again elsewhere. Bad money management, but all the same...

I never use Debit myself, all credit card.

Unrelated, walmart.ca has charged me twice for $0.01 and I can't figure out why. Not worth inquiring for a penny tho. These aren't temp charges either.
The blacked out charges are correct.

-
penny.png
😱
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
b0ne wrote: Yes the temp charge can expire, they'll charge again when it really ships. I never pay attention to the temp charges.

Old Navy is apparently bad for that too.. they'll debit peoples account, then it expires, and they recharge at shipping. Old Navy example is for debit, not credit. I've seen people on facebook freaking out about it. They think the order was cancelled, and spend the money again elsewhere. Bad money management, but all the same...

Unrelated, walmart.ca has charged me twice for $0.01 and I can't figure out why. Not worth inquiring for a penny tho. These aren't temp charges either.

-

penny.png
They're checking once for card validity (the $0.01 preauth) and then again for the billable amount. No idea why they might be doing it like that, though.
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Something similar happened to me. I placed an order for something back in March and then in Oct 24 I got an email about a billing issue. I called the useless 1-800 number. Three days later I got an email saying it's ready for pickup.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Aug 6, 2014
145 posts
119 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
b0ne wrote: Yes the temp charge can expire, they'll charge again when it really ships. I never pay attention to the temp charges.

-

penny.png
I got a $0.01 charge as well on an item I recently purchased on Walmart.ca, and it actually posted (didn't disappear and showed up on my card statement for payment). Like you, didn't fight for it as it's only a penny. But super shady if it happens to everyone.
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
ciantech wrote: I got a $0.01 charge as well on an item I recently purchased on Walmart.ca, and it actually posted (didn't disappear and showed up on my card statement for payment). Like you, didn't fight for it as it's only a penny. But super shady if it happens to everyone.
A million pennies is $10,000. Walmart touts millions of Canadians shop at it's stores everyday. I can't recall they've ever mentioned how many people use their website but if everybody makes a purchase gets charged a penny in addition to whatever they're buying, that equals thousands of dollars.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you worried about the transaction pre-auth having disappeared? If so, that doesn't mean your order was cancelled.

When you place your order, merchants will usually do a pre-auth of either a low amount (ex: $0.01 or $1) to verify the card is valid, or they will do it for the transaction amount, to ensure there is sufficient funds.

However, they're generally not supposed to actually "post" / "push it through", for lack of a better term, until shipping time. If it's a short enough turnaround time for shipping, then it will seem like it was only done once. If it's longer shipping time (ex: Amazon, or any preorder), you will usually have the transaction seem to have gone through twice, on different days (but in reality the first time fell off after a few days)

Here's a link to give you a bit better description:
https://tidalcommerce.com/learn/pre-authorization
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1556 posts
1391 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
SenatorsFan wrote: A million pennies is $10,000. Walmart touts millions of Canadians shop at it's stores everyday. I can't recall they've ever mentioned how many people use their website but if everybody makes a purchase gets charged a penny in addition to whatever they're buying, that equals thousands of dollars.
Pretty sure those pennies don't even show up on the radar when the merchant fees they would rack up for the POS transactions would put a thorn in their side.
Feb 7, 2015
365 posts
237 upvotes
I always order from Walmart and from my experience whenever i got charged $0.01 they always deduct it from my total amount. Let's say for example my total was $65.70, I will see both $0.01 and $65.69 posted on my credit card online. I think this normally happens when i have grocery pickup and Walmart.ca shipping combined at the same time on my cart when i go check out and placed my order.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3320 posts
2372 upvotes
ciantech wrote: I got a $0.01 charge as well on an item I recently purchased on Walmart.ca, and it actually posted (didn't disappear and showed up on my card statement for payment). Like you, didn't fight for it as it's only a penny. But super shady if it happens to everyone.
On a free day, I'd call up credit card and try to dispute it on principal (if credit card is with AMEX directly, very easily done online) and see where it goes. I haven't recently purchased on Walmart.ca lately but have in the pass and didn't see the single penny charge on the statement so it's probably new...
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213940 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

I would fight the charge at a penny! For you, it might be nothing, but just imagine doing this to tons of people that don't care and it adds up over time... Filing a chargeback on a penny cost Walmart money so they won't pull that crap again...

Ju Leon...
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
So I called them last week in regards to my Black Friday order, they told me it would be escalated and if I didn't hear back from a member of their escalation team by yesterday to call back. I called back this morning and told me my order is still pending and to expect a member of their escalation team to reach out to me by Thursday.

I work for Walmart, I empathize that the online aspect of the business is experiencing unprecedented volumes. However, there's been zero status updates on my Black Friday order since I placed it nor can anybody at the call centre provide me with any updates. They can't tell me if they have any of the item I ordered is in stock or when they expect me to receive it. I literally don't care when I receive it. I'm waiting for a sweatshirt from another retailer that I ordered on Black Friday that isn't expected to be delivered until tomorrow. I just want to see the process moving along inch by inch.
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
I called the call centre again this morning and spoke to a supervisor. I was told by the supervisor that when you place an order on Walmart.ca that you're 'reserving the item' and despite what the website shows it's not guaranteed to be in stock. They said they had no further information to share with me in regards to the status of my order and asked for my patience.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
I got 2 emails from walmart, but I don't see any $10 eVoucher (yet).
Ordered something on Nov 30, just arrived today.

"We value your business and would like to offer you a $10 e-voucher for any inconvenience caused by this delay. If you are a registered user, the e-voucher will be applied to your account. If you are not a registered user, you will receive a separate email with a $10 gift card to use on a future purchase – online or in store."
😱
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
9325 posts
6386 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, I've been reaching out to Walmart CS as my item was ordered on Nov 28, arrived at Loomis Etobicoke at Nov 30 and nothing since. "Escalated" to their escalations team and all I got was a generic response saying it's been busy in Vancouver, expect delivery in 5 to 6 days (even though item is still stuck somewhere in Etobicoke). Got a $10 voucher but useless as I'm not shopping on Walmart ever again (I have 2 other orders that are also stuck in limbo in Etobicoke). Unfortunately, Walmart was the only retailer that had this item in stock. I paid with Paypal, so will initiate a claim if no further update next week.
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm an associate so I wouldn't qualify for a voucher. I've been calling and using their online live-chat everyday since December 3. Every single day I've been told that my concerns would be escalated and a supervisor would reach out to me in 48 hours. So far a supervisor hasn't called me back. When I've asked to be transferred, the call drops. A rep last week told me that when you order something online, there's no guarantee they have the item in stock and that you're 'reserving' the item for when there is stock. I really, really want an air-fryer and $48 for a T-fal one is fantastic. If I see an air-fryer on Boxing Day similar priced and haven't received my Walmart one by then then I'll cancel my order.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
My $10 eVoucher finally showed up.

Does your online account indicate that you're an employee somehow?
😱
Oct 8, 2020
297 posts
444 upvotes
Ottawa
b0ne wrote: My $10 eVoucher finally showed up.

Does your online account indicate that you're an employee somehow?
Yes it does in order to qualify for my discount on Walmart.ca too.

My credit card has been finally charged for the air-fryer and the website has been updated to show that the estimated delivery date is next week and that a shipping label has been created. The website is also showing that the air-fryers are back in stock. They were showing as out of stock for the past few weeks. I'm assuming that for whatever reason, the website let me place an order for the air-fryer, they went out of stock, now the order is being fulfilled at the Black Friday price.