Shopping Discussion

Walmart.ca buy product online, return it in store and rebuy same item?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2021 4:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 9, 2020
158 posts
95 upvotes

Walmart.ca buy product online, return it in store and rebuy same item?

I was just wondering if any of you have done this before where you buy an item from the online Walmart site, and have it shipped to a store for in-store pickup, and then ask customer service to return the item and just rebuy that exact item since the store is offering it at a much lower price (but the store doesn't physically have it in stock)?

Is this just a YMMV situation and depends on the person you're dealing with or is there some type of block set up to prevent this?
To branch off this, would it be possible to just do a simple price adjustment with the physical Walmart's price for the item that I purchased online?
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Is the item shipped and sold by walmart or a third party?

Is there any shipping charges for the item?

What's the price of the item online? What's the price instore?
[OP]
Dec 9, 2020
158 posts
95 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Is the item shipped and sold by walmart or a third party?

Is there any shipping charges for the item?

What's the price of the item online? What's the price instore?
The item is sold and shipped by Walmart.ca itself. Free shipping as well it is the Beats Solo Pro - Grey.
Online it’s 379.94
In my nearby store it’s 49… So it’s a HUGE difference so that’s why I wanted to know before I placed the order
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3162 posts
2818 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
arenthew wrote: I was just wondering if any of you have done this before where you buy an item from the online Walmart site, and have it shipped to a store for in-store pickup, and then ask customer service to return the item and just rebuy that exact item since the store is offering it at a much lower price (but the store doesn't physically have it in stock)?
...and this is why retailers are tightening up their return policies.
To branch off this, would it be possible to just do a simple price adjustment with the physical Walmart's price for the item that I purchased online?
What did you discover when you read the Walmart price policies?
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Feb 3, 2019
232 posts
152 upvotes
GTA
Headphones are final sale so no return or adjustment

Many Walmart won’t let you do this, even if it’s a non-final sale item
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1084 posts
514 upvotes
It looks like walmart is still doing price adjustment, why go through the trouble of return and repurchase?

I have actually done price adjustment without even bringing the item to store, that was before pandemic.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5273 posts
3735 upvotes
Vancouver
Given the price, they probably will accept your return but refuse to resell it to you. Then one of their coworkers will buy it instead or they send it back to their warehouse. Reps will see the price difference and definitely shouldn’t sell it back to you on the spot unless you find a very inexperience or careless rep.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16247 posts
21224 upvotes
Toronto
arenthew wrote: I was just wondering if any of you have done this before where you buy an item from the online Walmart site, and have it shipped to a store for in-store pickup, and then ask customer service to return the item and just rebuy that exact item since the store is offering it at a much lower price (but the store doesn't physically have it in stock)?

Is this just a YMMV situation and depends on the person you're dealing with or is there some type of block set up to prevent this?
Walmart.ca is a separate store
When you return an item purchased online to the local store, the store will send back the item to the warehouse.
The store will provide a hand written "returned merchandise refund receipt" and an electronic refund receipt will be emailed.

"Store pricing and offers will sometimes differ from online prices and offers. Unless otherwise stated, all Was/Is pricing or other offers available on the Site refer to prices offered nationally on the Site only. Walmart Canada stores do not honour prices offered on the Site. Ad Match does not apply to online prices advertised on the Site and is not applicable to orders placed on the Site."
from https://www.walmart.ca/en/help/faq/lega ... 542c733761
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6073 posts
7486 upvotes
GTA
pialshgiml87 wrote: Headphones are final sale so no return or adjustment

Many Walmart won’t let you do this, even if it’s a non-final sale item
This. Final sale, no returns or adjustments.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29044 posts
14590 upvotes
Dhanushan wrote: Walmart.ca is a separate store

"Store pricing and offers will sometimes differ from online prices and offers. Unless otherwise stated, all Was/Is pricing or other offers available on the Site refer to prices offered nationally on the Site only. Walmart Canada stores do not honour prices offered on the Site.
While I understand why they do this operationally, I've never understood why they do this publicly.

As a customer, Walmart is Walmart. To me it makes a shop look incompetent if one arm of the same brand is selling it for a large price difference over another arm.
I don't get why they don't present a unified front instead of making the customer search for the best price inside your brand.

Sales I would expect to be identical in both shops but clearances etc I will let go since it's not nationally advertised.

Home Depot does this too. "Oh we don't match our online shop but everyone else is okay"
wat.jpg

How are you undercutting yourself and why am I wasting time buying from you when I could be buying from you.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13041 posts
8285 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: While I understand why they do this operationally, I've never understood why they do this publicly.

As a customer, Walmart is Walmart. To me it makes a shop look incompetent if one arm of the same brand is selling it for a large price difference over another arm.
I don't get why they don't present a unified front instead of making the customer search for the best price inside your brand.

Sales I would expect to be identical in both shops but clearances etc I will let go since it's not nationally advertised.

Home Depot does this too. "Oh we don't match our online shop but everyone else is okay"
wat.jpg

How are you undercutting yourself and why am I wasting time buying from you when I could be buying from you.
I treat the price difference (store premium) as " Delayed gratification tax".

For example, we went to indigo and my son wanted comic books. Online price is cheaper but he wants now, so he can read when we are back to home, so except the price difference is huge, I usually buy in the store because he didn't want to wait weeks for book to arrive
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29044 posts
14590 upvotes
smartie wrote: I treat the price difference (store premium) as " Delayed gratification tax".
Hmm. I'm not sure how I stand on this.
On one hand, your example spells it out pretty well. I would have 100% agreed with you 10 years ago.
But today? I'm not sure I can. With online shopping, curbside pickup, and better inventory/sales/management systems I don't think I can support a large retailer having 2 prices.
Even small retailers have figured this out. I don't think there's a good excuse today where someone as large as a household name is able to have 2 different prices.

Not counting the work of @seafish and stocktrack, you basically have no idea what the instore pricing is. Since it's not really that well known to the average idiot, I don't think it's right seeing $X price on the website and having $Y price in store. Now I've wasted gas, time, etc to schlep to the store just to either leave empty handed or pay more. Paying less would be okay. That's a pleasant surprise.

The fair thing to me would be always the lowest price of any channel (or the ability to price match yourself) but Walmart isn't known for their customer service policies.

I've had this happen on a few occasions and it's always left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's actually one of the many reasons I barely shop at Walmart any more.
I had a cooler that was $10 cheaper online with the option of picking up in store. That makes even less sense. Buying it online and picking it up in the same store where it's $10 more just seems... wrong.
I needed one in the morning so I placed an order and hoped the pickup would be soon (and it was) but it still boggles my mind that I saved $10 for literally the exact item that someone else grabbed off the shelf instead of me.
If I couldn't pick it up, I would have bought the cooler, left the order for the original, then returned the first cooler when I picked up the 2nd cooler at a later date, which doesn't make a lick of sense.
More work for literally everyone and a cooler that (hopefully) goes back on the shelf rather than to the dump.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Dec 25, 2015
214 posts
138 upvotes
Brighton, ON
You could always use stocktrack dot ca to find a nearby store that might have it in stock - buy it there.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
willowberry wrote: You could always use stocktrack dot ca to find a nearby store that might have it in stock - buy it there.
This was a hot deal post last week or the week before, you'd be hard pressed to find a store with any left.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1015 posts
583 upvotes
I don't think they price adjust on clearance.
Dec 25, 2015
214 posts
138 upvotes
Brighton, ON
kr0zet wrote: This was a hot deal post last week or the week before, you'd be hard pressed to find a store with any left.
Could be, I wasn't going to do the work for them, and also don't know where the OP is; as I said 'might' have it in stock.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2020
158 posts
95 upvotes
willowberry wrote: Could be, I wasn't going to do the work for them, and also don't know where the OP is; as I said 'might' have it in stock.
Yeah, I've used stocktrack but most stores show only 1 or 0 and of course 99% of the time the employees don't want to help look etc and just say the item was 'stolen' or something along those lines so no point in wasting my time
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16745 posts
11935 upvotes
Toronto

this is fraud.

end of story

IBTL.
Aug 20, 2020
340 posts
347 upvotes
Man, Walmart in Canada is such a terrible experience in-store and online.

The US side is so many miles ahead... you can`t even compare, its so pathetic in Canada

Walmart USA and Shippsy have been good to me
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1241 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver
1) Headphones are final sale. You cannot return or exchange it.
2) Even if they were returnable, all online purchases are separated from general merchandise and must be sent to the claims department in the back.
3) Online stuff cannot be resold to you. The software for instore returns of online goods can only process refunds and cannot process exchanges of any kind.
4) Price adjustments can only be done on regularly priced or rollback sale items, not items on clearance.
5) Please do not go into the store demanding a price adjustment. Clearance prices are just that, for the purposes of clearing out the current inventory. Not for people to buy from elsewhere and to return it demanding a lower price. Once it's gone, the clearance price has achieved its goal.
6) Sometimes clearance prices are nationwide and sometimes stores set their own clearance prices to get rid of inventory. Stores will not honor clearance from other stores or online.
[external link removed]