• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2021 4:48 am
[OP]
May 24, 2007
323 posts
96 upvotes
British Columbia

Walmart.ca is a disaster, I expected better from a major retailer

I ordered some clothes in the beginning of March before the COVID-19 hit the fan, and none of the items fit so I initiated a return. Apparently you have to wait for them to send you a label unlike every other place I have ordered from online that generates a label ONLINE. Well it's been weeks, I can't get through to them, and still no label. Few weeks later I ordered something else that was supposed to arrive by March 20, the item still hasn't shipped, no updates or info, and no way to cancel the item (the FAQ says you can only cancel in 30 mins?). I realise these are trying times but totally ignoring customers is pretty lame. Especially when all these issues are online not in-person.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3785 posts
2587 upvotes
Vancouver
It's Canada. And it's Walmart. Even during the best of times, Walmart online orders were hit and miss.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4571 posts
4629 upvotes
Vancouver
Exactly - no need to blame the pandemic crisis for this, Walmart.ca has been a disaster from the start. The only good thing I can say about it is one time they entirely forgot to charge my credit card after delaying delivery for 2 months. :)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15922 posts
13767 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Spinner wrote: It's Canada. And it's Walmart. Even during the best of times, Walmart online orders were hit and miss.
THis. Walmart on a good day was shit show, the current crisis only compounds it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1566 posts
449 upvotes
Mississauga
Walmart, LOL.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2683 posts
1351 upvotes
B.C.
Like the others have said - Walmart is a shit show at the best of times!

They consistently do the bare minimum and stores only don't suck when they're new or recently renovated. Then it's a slide down to the bottom.

Not having any real competition helps too!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11975 posts
8650 upvotes
GTA, ON
Walmart.ca

ROTFL.... It has always sucked!
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10418 posts
601 upvotes
Mississauga
Devony wrote: I ordered some clothes in the beginning of March before the COVID-19 hit the fan, and none of the items fit so I initiated a return. Apparently you have to wait for them to send you a label unlike every other place I have ordered from online that generates a label ONLINE. Well it's been weeks, I can't get through to them, and still no label. Few weeks later I ordered something else that was supposed to arrive by March 20, the item still hasn't shipped, no updates or info, and no way to cancel the item (the FAQ says you can only cancel in 30 mins?). I realise these are trying times but totally ignoring customers is pretty lame. Especially when all these issues are online not in-person.
I heard quite a few horror stories both in USA and Canada in terms of Walmart online order returns. I personally never had an issue with an online return, but it seems like when things go wrong, they become disasters. Difficult to work with such a stupid corporation. I avoid walamrt.ca ordering unless I have 0 other choices. Then I accept any shit-show that transpires because of the bad decision to spend my bucks on an order with them.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20753 posts
4872 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Walmart sucks and what makes it worse is that we shop at their stores.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3974 posts
4154 upvotes
This is a consequence of not just the site but also the behaviour of the vast majority of us. Online shopping for Walmart, Loblaws, and the like is only something like 3-6% of revenues. Now you add fuel to the fire with COVID-19, and well, it's a shit show.

That said, nothing excuses the OP's situation with Walmart, but when it's such a small % of orders, it is what it is, and until 'we' show 'them' that we will shift to buying online, they have 0 incentive to improve the experience - which, by the way, is exactly Walmart's MO anyways. A shit experience for better than average prices.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15874 posts
13094 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
angryaudifanatic wrote: This is a consequence of not just the site but also the behaviour of the vast majority of us. Online shopping for Walmart, Loblaws, and the like is only something like 3-6% of revenues. Now you add fuel to the fire with COVID-19, and well, it's a shit show.

That said, nothing excuses the OP's situation with Walmart, but when it's such a small % of orders, it is what it is, and until 'we' show 'them' that we will shift to buying online, they have 0 incentive to improve the experience - which, by the way, is exactly Walmart's MO anyways. A shit experience for better than average prices.
This

Walmart for decades now has been about making money for the 1% ... the Walton Family
Or more specifically ... the 1% of the 1%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton_family

Combined 7 people in the immediate family ... own more than 201 BILLION DOLLARS
And that’s not counting extended family (sprouts) or trust fund kids etc

They wrap themselves in bringing great prices to the little guy
But all the while they truly are treating their suppliers, employees and towns they invade
AND CUSTOMERS as hostages
To their wants and their almighty $$$$$$$$$ greed

They don’t give a dang about anyone or anything
Except the dollars
Refunds are horrible ... cuz the longer they can hold onto your money
In their accounts ... the more money it generates for them in interest

Do yourself a BIG FAVOUR
And STOP SHOPPING THERE

Cuz right now they are only making a fool of you

Covid 19 is horrible for all of us
But for the Waltons ... it’s just another opportunity to get richER off of someone else’s misfortune
Esp as they are the only Dept Store open in Canada now ... cuz they also happen to sell groceries
I tell you it’s a con job
They manipulated our politicians to make that happen
Be sure & check out their splashy new ads on tv for Covid ... they literally are making their stores look inviting to shop in
Talk about an effed up message
:facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2698 posts
2304 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Walmart has terrible e-commerce. Why do they have two versions of their website, grocery and non grocery? Why does it take them 12 years to ship stuff out? And why do they charge so damn much for free shipping?

Their website doesn’t compare to Amazon, hell its 10x worse than HBC (who has pretty good e-commerce actually) and they’re a pretty antiquated company.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3974 posts
4154 upvotes
jacnel wrote: Walmart has terrible e-commerce. Why do they have two versions of their website, grocery and non grocery? Why does it take them 12 years to ship stuff out? And why do they charge so damn much for free shipping?

Their website doesn’t compare to Amazon, hell its 10x worse than HBC (who has pretty good e-commerce actually) and they’re a pretty antiquated company.
Costco does the same.

They have an online portal encapsulating grocery and non grocery and if you order from the former you can't even cancel an order even with calling.

They too are a shit show
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15874 posts
13094 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
angryaudifanatic wrote: Costco does the same.

They have an online portal encapsulating grocery and non grocery and if you order from the former you can't even cancel an order even with calling.

They too are a shit show
FORTUNATELY ... we’ve had nothing but good experiences shopping online with Costco
But others have not

Seems a lot depends on your Postal Code ... and the Regional Distribution Centre in your area

We are a K Postal Code ... so I think a lot comes to us via the Costco Canada HQ up in Ottawa

But I just learned the other day, that STRANGELY the Costco Website has some items in the Grocery Category ... like TP, PT, Lysol etc that only ship out to those in Canada that live in their 2 Day Grocery Zones (again by Postal Code)

Even though these items are NON PERISHABLES

And the worse bit ... even NON MEMBERS in those Postal Codes can order off the website

BUT ... FULL PAID UP MEMBERS who don’t live in the “2 Day Grocery Delivery Zones” ... cannot get these much needed items at all

THATS NOT RIGHT.
BAD Costco Canada
Jan 22, 2017
414 posts
1338 upvotes
The nice thing is Wal-Mart used to offer free shipping with grocery items.
So for example whenever laundry soap went on sale you could order like 100 lbs worth and they would ship it to your door for free as long as you hit that $50 threshold.
My guess is they were losing money hand over fist on the shipping of grocery items which is why they nixed it.
I haven't bought anything from them since though :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6165 posts
3229 upvotes
Mississauga
Walmart's (and many others') on-line shopping is a disaster because their business model has been all about the traditional in-store shopping. They saw no need for a robust on-line shopping system. Now the chickens have come home to roost...
Dec 7, 2020
1 posts
Walmart.ca is more like a scam then a online store. Purchased a table tennis table that was in stock, waited for almost two weeks and they still haven’t even shipped. Called to cancel my order and was told it is Walmart’s policy to only cancel order within 30 mins of placing the order, what about Walmart’s policy on shipping my order within a reasonable time?? Don’t waste your time and money at Walmart.ca
Apr 5, 2017
884 posts
643 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Walmart cancelled half my black friday orders and some of those items were even "online only".

At least they saved me the trouble I guess. And they saved me money. I either decided to stop wasting money on whatever it is I was going to get, or went elsewhere.
Oct 8, 2020
222 posts
319 upvotes
Ottawa
tehwegz wrote: Walmart cancelled half my black friday orders and some of those items were even "online only".

At least they saved me the trouble I guess. And they saved me money. I either decided to stop wasting money on whatever it is I was going to get, or went elsewhere.
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I ordered my Black Friday order and I haven't received it nor has it shipped. They've told me twice since last week that they would escalate my issue and somebody would call me with an update. I asked if I could cancel my order, they also said no that it could only be cancelled within 30 minutes. Nobody knows what's going on with my order. This is annoying to say the least.