Jan 18, 2019
54 posts
64 upvotes

Oster® Prima Latte® 15-Bar Pump Espresso + Grinder $159.97

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Walmart.ca
This is Regularly going for $199, but the pack comes with a grinder. Not sure of the price difference, as the Model# looks like an older frame, while the $199 Model number is a newer frame. Same job, less athetics?

but would love to hear you guys input on this.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1010 posts
2190 upvotes
dtvibe wrote: This is Regularly going for $199, but the pack comes with a grinder. Not sure of the price difference, as the Model# looks like an older frame, while the $199 Model number is a newer frame. Same job, less athetics?

but would love to hear you guys input on this.
Older and newer version internal is the same. Been the same for ~10 years now.
Usually 199 regular pricing but can always be found for 169 somewhere. At 159 + the grinder, it's a deal.
Thanks OP, bought 25!
(Mod edit: You are awesome)
Nov 30, 2013
413 posts
348 upvotes
The machine itself is great! Had it for about 2 years before giving it to family. The latte maker is very convenience. Just put it in the fridge when done. Tested temperature. Seems constants during the pull. It is on sale for 159.99 regularly. With the grinder, it is a deal. The machine has a pressurized portafilter so any grinder will do. So I think the combo will give you good espresso and latte/cappuccino.

BTW, this is a MrCoffee machine. MrCoffee invented the automatic drip coffee machine. Their engineers know a thing or two about making coffee. Only a brand now but I suspect their engineering is still there somewhere.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2484 posts
427 upvotes
All the bad reviews, say it's a great machine but doesn't last. Have they fixed the reliability issue?
Jul 18, 2008
153 posts
156 upvotes
I know there’s no time machine, but Walmart were clearing out the earlier generation of this machine for as low as $29.99 earlier this year. We replaced the used one we bought on Kijiji with a new one and re-sold our old one.

The old one has probably 5-6 years old and was still going strong. The key thing we learned with this machine was to run a cafiza tablet through the the filter every week or two to keep the filters from clogging up..

Works great: Super easy and delicious espressos, lattes and cappuccinos!
Nov 30, 2013
413 posts
348 upvotes
mtlboy wrote: All the bad reviews, say it's a great machine but doesn't last. Have they fixed the reliability issue?
It wasn't my experience. The only problem is that if you use high fat milk, the fat clothed up the frothier maker internals. Just need to soak in hot water for that.
Feb 21, 2019
45 posts
23 upvotes
Halifax
dawger1 wrote: I know there’s no time machine, but Walmart were clearing out the earlier generation of this machine for as low as $29.99 earlier this year. We replaced the used one we bought on Kijiji with a new one and re-sold our old one.

The old one has probably 5-6 years old and was still going strong. The key thing we learned with this machine was to run a cafiza tablet through the the filter every week or two to keep the filters from clogging up..

I also saw it on sale for $70 in several stores during the summer. There were some for $29 but only in stock in Quebec when I checked on Stocktrack.

It is a very easy machine to use on a daily basis, I did not have any issues. I did not have a good experience with drip coffee grind; tasted watery. I use espresso grinds from Lavazza and it is perfect.

I tried using Delonghi but found the separate milk frothing and manually timing shots too difficult and sold it back on the marketplace. Oster is much easier, just press a button.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9608 posts
2009 upvotes
Edmonton
dawger1 wrote: I know there’s no time machine, but Walmart were clearing out the earlier generation of this machine for as low as $29.99 earlier this year. We replaced the used one we bought on Kijiji with a new one and re-sold our old one.

$24 for mine.. I think it may have even been $19 at some stores
Nov 30, 2020
17 posts
This is great! Though I might try the much cheaper ones that people are saying. I guess we just really have to use it properly and take care of it to make it last.
Jan 23, 2015
104 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure if I have EXACTLY the same model as people say here that there has been a revised version ?? , but I got mine from Canadian tire back in...2017 or so. It's been working without problems.
The main thing to watch out for is to make sure all the "detachable" parts are snug, like the silicon tube for the frother. If it is not snug, it will not create vacuum, ergo no froth. Happened to me once and i figured it out on the spot.
Also probably its best to remove the water tank only for cleaning, because the spring valve may wear out prematurely.

As for the coffee quality - it pumps great lattes and cappucinos. The espresso may feel weak for some, but you can always double-shot.
Feb 21, 2019
45 posts
23 upvotes
Halifax
My machine broke down. It just keeps flashing all three lights for hours. I tried resetting and priming but nothing works. Oster is telling me to send it back and they'll send a new machine, but it'll probably take a longtime. I just wondered if this is something that happened with anyone else here?
Jul 28, 2010
771 posts
402 upvotes
mtlboy wrote: All the bad reviews, say it's a great machine but doesn't last. Have they fixed the reliability issue?
I've had mine for five years, using it daily. Served me well.
Oct 29, 2016
477 posts
285 upvotes
Other than a nonpressurized portafilter, what specific advantages would a barista express have over this?
Jun 30, 2006
55 posts
21 upvotes
Mine got water leak after 2 years. And the milk frother is really not reliable. Not easy to clean and tend to clog...
However, when it works, the espresso part is okay!
Oct 14, 2017
247 posts
93 upvotes
I have the same machine made by Mr. Coffee. I’ve had it for 2+ years bought from Bed Bath and Beyond and love it. Used to have an super automatic De’Longhi machine and got sick of the break downs. Sold after the last warranty fix and bought this little machine. Absolutely impressed with the automatic frother and the temperature of the lattes. Comes out nice and hot. My Dad has had the same machine for over 5 years. It’s cleaned regularly and descaled. Great price for what it does.
lesoir wrote: The machine itself is great! Had it for about 2 years before giving it to family. The latte maker is very convenience. Just put it in the fridge when done. Tested temperature. Seems constants during the pull. It is on sale for 159.99 regularly. With the grinder, it is a deal. The machine has a pressurized portafilter so any grinder will do. So I think the combo will give you good espresso and latte/cappuccino.

BTW, this is a MrCoffee machine. MrCoffee invented the automatic drip coffee machine. Their engineers know a thing or two about making coffee. Only a brand now but I suspect their engineering is still there somewhere.
Jan 5, 2007
197 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm really late to the game. I'd love to get this product but it's been OOS since December. Any suggestions of where else to purchase? I can't find Oster or Mr. Coffee either.
Feb 21, 2019
45 posts
23 upvotes
Halifax
major153 wrote: I'm really late to the game. I'd love to get this product, but it's been OOS since December. Any suggestions of where else to purchase? I can't find Oster or Mr. Coffee either.
I saw it at Walmart, but it was around $200. I am trying to look for an alternative, but cannot find anything else in the same price range.