[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3525 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto

Walmart Canada closing six stores, spending $500 million to upgrade others

from https://canada.constructconnect.com/dcn ... ade-others
MISSISSAUGA, ONT. — Walmart Canada is closing six stores and spending $500 million to upgrade more than half its remaining locations in a bid to improve the “look and feel” of its stores and enhance its online business.

The chain says it’s closing three stores in Ontario, two in Alberta and one in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Mississauga, Ont., based retailer says workers will be offered positions at nearby stores as each of the impacted locations is in a market that is already served by other Walmart stores.

Meanwhile, Walmart Canada says the record $500 million investment will see improvements in more than 60 per cent of its stores including upgrades to lighting, repairs, paint and new signage as well as improvements to staff lounges.

The company says it’s also improving the pick-up spaces for online orders in its highest e-commerce volume stores.

Horacio Barbeito, president and CEO of Walmart Canada, says the company is on a mission to modernize all aspects of its business with a focus on stores and serving customers “in more omnichannel ways.”

How the closing of Walmart will impact the Malton community

22 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16717 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know it's only 6 stores. I was worried they were going to close more.
Several of the smaller locations, maybe, like the one near Markham & Eglinton in the Scarborough part of Toronto, Ontario.
Good to see they're keeping those open.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2757 posts
2443 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Malton was the only strange closure on this list. It's a brand new store, decently sized, in an area with limited competition (as they mentioned only one Chalo FreshCo). Compared to the rest of the Walmarts that are closing (which are mostly non-supercentre, former Zellers locations) it sticks out. All I can think is that this store either: A. had its rent increased dramatically making the store unprofitable, B. didn't see enough sales, C. suffers from a lot of shoplifting. I'm leaning towards B since this location is on the same lot as a former Food Basics which closed about 10 years ago as it was unprofitable. Seems that there aren't enough people in the community to support two supermarkets given that this is the second time a grocery store has left.

Regardless Malton is lucky to have any sort of grocery store. In rural communities grocery stores can be kilometers away and in downtown areas (Kitchener, Guelph, etc.) grocery stores are unheard of.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16717 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
jacnel wrote: Malton was the only strange closure on this list. It's a brand new store, decently sized, in an area with limited competition (as they mentioned only one Chalo FreshCo). Compared to the rest of the Walmarts that are closing (which are mostly non-supercentre, former Zellers locations) it sticks out. All I can think is that this store either: A. had its rent increased dramatically making the store unprofitable, B. didn't see enough sales, C. suffers from a lot of shoplifting. I'm leaning towards B since this location is on the same lot as a former Food Basics which closed about 10 years ago as it was unprofitable. Seems that there aren't enough people in the community to support two supermarkets given that this is the second time a grocery store has left.

Regardless Malton is lucky to have any sort of grocery store. In rural communities grocery stores can be kilometers away and in downtown areas (Kitchener, Guelph, etc.) grocery stores are unheard of.
I'm wondering if there is an area close by in Malton where Walmart was promised a large development project of new homes that maybe never happened...?
Sometimes when a developer pulls out that tends to contribute to the desire to close.

Dundas & Bloor (in Toronto) is a good example of this. There was supposed to be a tall "Giraffe Condos" development there, along with more condos on the land where the Zellers across the street once stood.
Lack of development encouraged Walmart to refrain from opening in the former Zellers space. (next to Loblaws)
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1200 posts
734 upvotes
Southern Ontario
They want to lean up their workforce and make each WalMart more competitive, with less staff and more fulfillment centers.

About 1.5 - 2 years ago the locations here turfed their Deli station and Automotive dept. I used to get oil changes there because it was the cheapest with full synthetic I could find.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4801 posts
407 upvotes
GTA
Fake news.. their last 500 million dollar investment was putting in those security gates and self checkouts in
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1200 posts
734 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ferkel wrote: Fake news.. their last 500 million dollar investment was putting in those security gates and self checkouts in
It's still an 'investment' by them... they don't say that it's going to cut a bunch of jobs, but you have to read between the lines. It's not like CT didn't kill National Sports to make a smaller, more competitive company. The bottom line is what matters. It's not like Walmart wasn't making huge profits during the ongoing pandemic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9694 posts
4885 upvotes
Markham
playnicee1 wrote: I'm wondering if there is an area close by in Malton where Walmart was promised a large development project of new homes that maybe never happened...?
Sometimes when a developer pulls out that tends to contribute to the desire to close.

Dundas & Bloor (in Toronto) is a good example of this. There was supposed to be a tall "Giraffe Condos" development there, along with more condos on the land where the Zellers across the street once stood.
Lack of development encouraged Walmart to refrain from opening in the former Zellers space. (next to Loblaws)
I thought there is a law in Toronto that prohibits Walmart from opening stores in downtown Toronto? I am not sure
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16717 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: I thought there is a law in Toronto that prohibits Walmart from opening stores in downtown Toronto? I am not sure
Not a direct law.
It's one of those "under review" laws.
Walmart was not allowed to open across the street from the Western Hospital in Toronto because "under review" it was decided that they are a direct threat to the Kensington market close by.

It's like that for any business or condo though. The City of Toronto has the right to review business decisions for new buildings etc before they are actually built, regardless of the business.
A much smaller Fresh co was approved along with a Winners, several smaller stores and a bank instead of a Walmart (across the street from the Western Hospital).

As for the Giraffe condos they too went "under review", only to find they were not allowed to build so tall, so the developer abandoned the land and let it rot.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1965 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: Good to know it's only 6 stores. I was worried they were going to close more.
Several of the smaller locations, maybe, like the one near Markham & Eglinton in the Scarborough part of Toronto, Ontario.
Good to see they're keeping those open.
They wouldn't close that location, it's prime location even though it's a smaller store, it's thriving on the many buildings in the radius and house/condo streets nearby.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16717 posts
3894 upvotes
Toronto
blackbirdman wrote: They wouldn't close that location, it's prime location even though it's a smaller store, it's thriving on the many buildings in the radius and house/condo streets nearby.
Far better than the former car selling days eh? lol Good thing the car dealer (Marvin Starr) sold the land to Walmart.
Nov 19, 2020
6 posts
6 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I was surprised how the checkout area was 'renovated' in one of my local WM Supercentre (Pointe-Claire, QC) after going back after a year avoiding WM stores. No more cashier that I could see, only self-checkout. One sections was for customers with less than 15 items and another was more than 15 items. At least they had a few employees helping people.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2757 posts
2443 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
IsabelleA91845 wrote: I was surprised how the checkout area was 'renovated' in one of my local WM Supercentre (Pointe-Claire, QC) after going back after a year avoiding WM stores. No more cashier that I could see, only self-checkout. One sections was for customers with less than 15 items and another was more than 15 items. At least they had a few employees helping people.
That's the future for these kind of stores. You do all the work for free and Walmart saves paying minimum wage. It's disgusting how we as consumers have been conditioned to accept this.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1200 posts
734 upvotes
Southern Ontario
IsabelleA91845 wrote: I was surprised how the checkout area was 'renovated' in one of my local WM Supercentre (Pointe-Claire, QC) after going back after a year avoiding WM stores. No more cashier that I could see, only self-checkout. One sections was for customers with less than 15 items and another was more than 15 items. At least they had a few employees helping people.
To be honest, at Shoppers Drug Mart there always seems to be a lineup at the cashier. I go to the self kiosk and I'm out of there in a flash. Convenient for some, definitely won't help the workforce. Walmart seems to have enough cashiers to not have me bother to do it myself.

It's not like McDonald's didn't have these kiosks 5 years ago... don't have to pay a machine $14.25 an hour. It's also not like many can live off of $14.25 an hour with no chance of being Full Time. I was told they get a rebate when they hire students, which is why you don't see many older workers anymore.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2757 posts
2443 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
Gibsons wrote: To be honest, at Shoppers Drug Mart there always seems to be a lineup at the cashier. I go to the self kiosk and I'm out of there in a flash. Convenient for some, definitely won't help the workforce. Walmart seems to have enough cashiers to not have me bother to do it myself.

It's not like McDonald's didn't have these kiosks 5 years ago... don't have to pay a machine $14.25 an hour. It's also not like many can live off of $14.25 an hour with no chance of being Full Time. I was told they get a rebate when they hire students, which is why you don't see many older workers anymore.
When you hire teens in Ontario you can pay them a lower minimum wage. That's why it's so common for places like grocery stores and McDonald's to stack their stores with teens. They say it's because they care about youth and want to give them jobs, that's a load of bull, they want to save money by only hiring the cheap teens.
Sep 8, 2010
211 posts
323 upvotes
Calgary
I hate walking in the old walmart stores, they look run down, They need to upgrade to the new modern look
Feb 4, 2011
654 posts
426 upvotes
jacnel wrote: That's the future for these kind of stores. You do all the work for free and Walmart saves paying minimum wage. It's disgusting how we as consumers have been conditioned to accept this.
So, should we shut down the ATMs in the banks and return chutes in libraries during business hours? How about self serve gas stations? Or how about all those online orders? They are taking away the jobs. Do you realise that we are in 2021?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3525 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart Canada to Build New State-Of-The-Art Distribution Centre in New Brunswick
  • New facility will provide fresh and frozen grocery items to 43 stores in Atlantic Canada
  • More than 200 jobs created in Moncton and surrounding communities
  • Project prioritizes environmental sustainability with efficient construction and removing millions of kilometres of truck travel from the supply chain
  • More than $56 million investment in local economy

The distribution centre is part of Walmart Canada’s $3.5-billion investment over the next five years across the country.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3525 posts
3139 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: They want to lean up their workforce and make each WalMart more competitive, with less staff and more fulfillment centers.
Scarborough West Walmart Supercentre is getting the first fully automated market fulfilment centre

• The 22,000 square foot space, will automate online grocery picking and dispensing with picking speeds up to six-times faster than manual store picking.
  • The new space will also feature a first for a big grocery retailer in Canada: automated kiosks that serve as vending machines for online grocery orders and can serve up to five customers simultaneously.
  • Customers drive up to a dedicated parking spot, enter a code and ordered items will appear in less than 2 minutes, ready to load into their cars.
  • The new space, a partnership with intelligent automation provider Dematic, will open later this year.

"The acceleration is part of our $3.5 billion investment over the next five years to make the online and in-store shopping experience simpler, faster and more convenient for Walmart’s customers."

from https://www.walmartcanada.ca/newsroom/2 ... -expansion