Shopping Discussion

Walmart Canada to stop accepting VISA? Nope...

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2017 9:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa

Walmart Canada to stop accepting VISA? Nope...

By Sarah Nassauer, Rita Trichur and Robin Sidel

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said it would stop accepting Visa Inc. cards at its stores across Canada, the latest salvo in an escalating battle between the two companies.

The retailer, which has 405 stores in Canada, said it was unable to agree on terms with the credit-card processor. It will stop accepting Visa cards starting with three stores in Thunder Bay, Ontario, on July 18.

"We're constantly working to reduce our operating costs, including credit card fees," the spokeswoman added. " Unfortunately, Visa and Wal-Mart have been unable to agree on an appropriate fee for Visa transactions."
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/walmart-s ... 0610-00554

Who will suffer more: VISA or Walmart? Pretty sure both will come to an agreement. Still interesting to see both playing hardball.

[Update] Agreement between VISA and Walmart was reached:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/visa-walmart-1.3923039
Last edited by markom on Jun 10th, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
590 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21900 posts
2716 upvotes
Walmart has been especially relentless lately looking for savings. Visa has much more downside than WM, though 3 stores sounds symbolic.
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
I only use Visa at Walmart. I'll be forced to get a Walmart Mastercard now if they don't accept it. Use it because we buy all of our groceries & we get cashback.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
Kasakato wrote: Walmart has been especially relentless lately looking for savings. Visa has much more downside than WM, though 3 stores sounds symbolic.
I also feel Visa stands to lose more. Much easier for most to get an extra CC if needed than to change shopping habits.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9121 posts
2749 upvotes
London
I wouldn't have believed Amex would let Costco slip out of their hands, so anything is possible.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16727 posts
6954 upvotes
markom wrote: I also feel Visa stands to lose more. Much easier for most to get an extra CC if needed than to change shopping habits.
No offense, this is RFD where people brag about the 10 credit cards in their wallet.

I find most people are far different - they do not want to churn credit cards or hold onto ones they only rarely use (outside of the older generation and their "sears cards"). This may actually affect their shopping habits if they just needed that little push to go to RCSS.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4168 posts
802 upvotes
Richmond
TrevorK wrote: No offense, this is RFD where people brag about the 10 credit cards in their wallet.

I find most people are far different - they do not want to churn credit cards or hold onto ones they only rarely use (outside of the older generation and their "sears cards"). This may actually affect their shopping habits if they just needed that little push to go to RCSS.
Re: no frills and mastercard. some refuse to shop there because they don't take visa. Yeah there some who will refuse to shop at places that don't take visa.

TagYoureIt wrote: I only use Visa at Walmart. I'll be forced to get a Walmart Mastercard now if they don't accept it. Use it because we buy all of our groceries & we get cashback.
uh why would you? you're better off with the mbna smart cash or Tangerine mastercard. 2 %>1.25% plus there's no paying for extended warranty. plus visa doesn't see the Supercenters as grocery. Mastercard does. Just a lot of fluff snd bluff. A true rfder doesn't use visa at walmart.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1023 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: This may actually affect their shopping habits if they just needed that little push to go to RCSS.
I doubt it'd happen but it'd be great if Visa retaliated by cutting off Walmart from using Visa to intimidate other stores from trying this.

It's also great to see Walmart is actually nickel and diming screwing around people in power like the credit card industry (unlike their customers)

With Target's collapse they're acting like they have a monopoly...and they might but that might not last.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
32 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote: I only use Visa at Walmart. I'll be forced to get a Walmart Mastercard now if they don't accept it. Use it because we buy all of our groceries & we get cashback.
There is always RBC Mastercard or Tangerine Mastercard 2% cashback which is better than Walmart Mastercard.

Besides why reward Walmart by getting/using their Mastercard when Walmart is limiting consumers' choices.
Dec 1, 2012
202 posts
32 upvotes
[QUOTE]

The move by Wal-Mart is likely to cause confusion at the check-out line when customers who want to pay with Visa cards are told the plastic is no longer accepted. Wal-Mart will continue to accept MasterCard, American Express, Discover and other cards, said the Wal-Mart spokeswoman.

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/walmart-s ... z4BET6fZMS

[/QUOTE]

So Visa is charging higher fees than American Express? One would imagine that American Express is less accepted than Visa because American Express charges higher fees.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1023 upvotes
lenkov wrote: So Visa is charging higher fees than American Express? One would imagine that American Express is less accepted than Visa because American Express charges higher fees.
"We are disappointed that Walmart chose to put their own financial interests ahead of their own consumers' choice," the company said. Visa added that it offers Wal-Mart "one of the lowest rates available to any merchant in the country."
I wonder who the lowest is?
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18844 posts
6889 upvotes
Toronto
I guess Walmart will be pushing their Mastercard harder now.
Jul 4, 2015
793 posts
195 upvotes
Stouffville
bluebellrose wrote: Re: no frills and mastercard. some refuse to shop there because they don't take visa. Yeah there some who will refuse to shop at places that don't take visa.

uh why would you? you're better off with the mbna smart cash or Tangerine mastercard. 2 %>1.25% plus there's no paying for extended warranty. plus visa doesn't see the Supercenters as grocery. Mastercard does. Just a lot of fluff snd bluff. A true rfder doesn't use visa at walmart.
1. The only credit card I use is my Visa. I have a mastercard but it's an emergency only card that hasn't been touched in years. I believe the Walmart Mastercard offers 2 or 4% cashback, and if we'd get one of those it would only be used at Walmart, which would make sense.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13076 posts
2346 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
NG wrote: I doubt it'd happen but it'd be great if Visa retaliated by cutting off Walmart from using Visa to intimidate other stores from trying this.
Would love to see this, too.

Hey, there's always Applepay! :D (yeah, right, as if)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4168 posts
802 upvotes
Richmond
TagYoureIt wrote: 1. The only credit card I use is my Visa. I have a mastercard but it's an emergency only card that hasn't been touched in years. I believe the Walmart Mastercard offers 2 or 4% cashback, and if we'd get one of those it would only be used at Walmart, which would make sense.
*Facepalms* Have you been living under a rock or something? Are you a corporate walmart mastercard shrill? Stop spreading misinformation.

The Walmart Mastercard is 1.25 % back at walmart in walmart rewards and 1% everywhere else. Walmart also wants you to pay if you want the extended warranty feature on your card. Something that the rbc mastercard ,mbna smart cash which offers 2% cashback at walmart Supercenters
for free.
lenkov wrote: There is always RBC Mastercard or Tangerine Mastercard 2% cashback which is better than Walmart Mastercard.

Besides why reward Walmart by getting/using their Mastercard when Walmart is limiting consumers' choices.
Unfortunately we have people like tagyourit spreading misinfo about the walmart mc that no true rfder would use. He is stubborn and clearly believes the walmart mc offers 2% when in reality it doesn't. It only offers 1.25%. Their website even says so.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
Visa is crap anyways and MasterCard is more widely accepted and amex has better benefits
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10378 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
Lovebugfeb2014 wrote: The walmart Mastercard interest is 19%.. no thanks.
Not that I think the Wal-Mart MasterCard is a good card, but most credit cards I've seen have interest rates along those lines. I don't see it as a problem unless you don't plan on paying off your full balance every month.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16718 posts
3895 upvotes
Toronto
Long story short, if you have a disposable visa card, use it up quickly if you intend to use it at Wal-mart! :)
I'm under the impression that, knowing Walmart has their own Walmart mastercard, they most likely made a deal to be exclusive to mastercard and got an amazing rate with them for the exclusivity.

Knowing that Loblaws/PC Financial is also with Mastercard, I wonder how soon before they give Visa the same treatment.