• Feb 26th, 2018 9:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16842 posts
3995 upvotes
Toronto

Walmart Canada vs Walmart USA

I Found this interesting video on Youtube comparing Walmart Canada to Walmart USA.
The lady's reaction to Canada's 4 Litre milk in a bag @ 4:40 is Priceless! lol

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
18 replies
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1042 upvotes
Do you think the isle's in the USA are bigger because of higher obesity rates?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2785 posts
2490 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
flash67 wrote: Do you think the isle's in the USA are bigger because of higher obesity rates?
I think she was just at a smaller Walmart in Canada, that's why the aisles are smaller, plenty of big Walmarts here have the american sized aisles.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16633 posts
13959 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Enjoyed the video.

Don’t shop at WalMart but most of this is just the basic differences between shopping in our 2 countries

Yes the milk in bags thing had her totally confused... such an EASTERN CANADA thing, it confuses a lot of folks in our own country who have never heard of it or seen it before either.

BUT... the big advantage is NOTHING beats being able to freeze milk... and plastic bags out performs all other packaging in this regard.

Makes milk a heck of a lot cheaper for anyone who has access to any sort of freezer.

Otherwise, 2 Litres in a Carton costs as much, OR MORE as 4 Litres in 3 Bags
(and a litre at a time in a carton is just obscenely priced)

We don’t go thru oodles of milk since the kids left the nest... so being able to freeze is a HUGE Cost Saver for us.
(Even more so now that we buy milk on BONUS Promos... AirMiles or PC Optimum. WIN WIN WIN) Smiling Face With Sunglasses
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16842 posts
3995 upvotes
Toronto
I also could have sworn there were actual smarties in the States just like our smarties here, but the video suggests otherwise.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Feb 8, 2017
26 posts
1 upvote
I think the Smarties in the US are actually what we call Rockets (Halloween Sugar tablets).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16633 posts
13959 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: I also could have sworn there were actual smarties in the States just like our smarties here, but the video suggests otherwise.
Rare to see Cdn Smarties in the USA... occasionally in a store that sells imported candy ... Cadbury etc

More often than not you’ll see pkgs of multi coloured M&Ms... that is about the closest they get to Cdn Smarties... but IMO the tast3 is far different. I much prefer our Cdn Smarties
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16633 posts
13959 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
LurkerPro wrote: I think the Smarties in the US are actually what we call Rockets (Halloween Sugar tablets).
Yup... Cdn Rockets & US Smarties are the same thing... actually the same Co

They hold the Registered US Trademark on the word Smarties... which is why unless it is a store that sells imported candies you won’t see the Cdn / British styled Smarties in the states
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2142 posts
1130 upvotes
Montreal
Not sure if anyone realized... You can buy things at Walmart USA and return them at Canadian stores...
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Dec 13, 2014
105 posts
56 upvotes
Niagara Region
deal_king wrote: Not sure if anyone realized... You can buy things at Walmart USA and return them at Canadian stores...

Hmmm...

In the past I checked a few items, and in all my cases the UPC code was different between countries.
And, AFAIK, if a UPC is not found in store's computer system, then there is no way to return the item.

Could you give some examples of crossborder-returnable items ?

Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2142 posts
1130 upvotes
Montreal
uuuu7777 wrote: Hmmm...

In the past I checked a few items, and in all my cases the UPC code was different between countries.
And, AFAIK, if a UPC is not found in store's computer system, then there is no way to return the item.

Could you give some examples of crossborder-returnable items ?
They do it manually with a receipt. Only thing is that I think they might do the USD/CAD 1:1. I remember having a problem with the conversion.

It's commonly discussed on RFD. Do a search.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16431 posts
14550 upvotes
Richmond Hill
deal_king wrote: They do it manually with a receipt. Only thing is that I think they might do the USD/CAD 1:1. I remember having a problem with the conversion.

Yes Walmart Canada will take back USA purchases as long as you have the receipt.
Dec 6, 2012
426 posts
203 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Yup, I did it, I bought a big xmas train set while in the USA for something like US$80 then changed my mind in Canada, went to my local WM (in Québec) and they refunded without problem, they calculated the exchange rate with a calculator and even rounded up.
Dec 13, 2014
105 posts
56 upvotes
Niagara Region
deal_king wrote: They do it manually with a receipt. Only thing is that I think they might do the USD/CAD 1:1. I remember having a problem with the conversion.
EP32k2 wrote: Yes Walmart Canada will take back USA purchases as long as you have the receipt.
Magister wrote: Yup, I did it, I bought a big xmas train set while in the USA for something like US$80 then changed my mind in Canada, went to my local WM (in Québec) and they refunded without problem, they calculated the exchange rate with a calculator and even rounded up.

Thank you very much (and upvote) for this info. I was not aware of this possibility.

Regarding a search: I've tried to search using different combinations of 'walmart', 'return' and 'crossborder', and none of the results seems to deal with crossborder return mentioned here.
So please bear with me with just one more question, out of curiosity: do such returns work also in the other direction, i.e. with buying in Walmart Canada and returning in Walmart USA ?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16431 posts
14550 upvotes
Richmond Hill
uuuu7777 wrote: Thank you very much (and upvote) for this info. I was not aware of this possibility.

Regarding a search: I've tried to search using different combinations of 'walmart', 'return' and 'crossborder', and none of the results seems to deal with crossborder return mentioned here.
So please bear with me with just one more question, out of curiosity: do such returns work also in the other direction, i.e. with buying in Walmart Canada and returning in Walmart USA ?
Nope, this is a Walmart Canada only thing.
Dec 13, 2014
105 posts
56 upvotes
Niagara Region
EP32k2 wrote: Nope, this is a Walmart Canada only thing.

Thanks again :-)

Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21585 posts
3470 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Kind of funny that the lady didn't even realize she was charged for those bags :). In Niagara I've seen it a few times where Americans are confused as to why a cashier would ask if they wanted a bag. They're like, of course I would, why wouldn't I? If I'm in line I let them know its because they'll be charged.

Also a little surprised that the Canadian Walmart didn't have dedicated parking for infants. I know the one in Niagara does.

I also found it a little funny that she seemed to highlight all the options we have in Canada. I find it to be very much opposite. I find the U.S. store have way more flavours of most items.
Mar 9, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
I always laugh when Americans see our milk-in-a-bag, I'm like, how do you not drink milk in a bag!