Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Zinc Plated Mega Hex Weight Bar

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2020 2:39 pm
Feb 25, 2004
362 posts
288 upvotes
Montreal

[Walmart] CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Zinc Plated Mega Hex Weight Bar

• 56" CAP Barbell Olympic bar
  • 1,000-pound weight capacity
  • Solid steel construction with zinc plating to protect against rust.
  • Weighs 75 pounds.
  • 12" sleeves
11 replies
Apr 13, 2005
560 posts
256 upvotes
Decent covid pricing. All time low on Amazon was $158 in 2018 according to 3C.
Feb 25, 2004
362 posts
288 upvotes
Montreal
One thing to note is that it seems to be 32mm thick.
I don't know whether that'll have a big effect on grip strength, some people tend to think so.
I'll see when I get it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
Just be warned the quality isn't the best on the joints and knurl. The weld had rust and the knurl was worn and damaged on parts. Looked old or used, but achieves the purpose. I used clr, a wire brush, and cleaned with wd40, and coated with clear rustoleum, so hopefully it'll stay clean.
Feb 25, 2004
362 posts
288 upvotes
Montreal
Avenger wrote: Just be warned the quality isn't the best on the joints and knurl. The weld had rust and the knurl was worn and damaged on parts. Looked old or used, but achieves the purpose. I used clr, a wire brush, and cleaned with wd40, and coated with clear rustoleum, so hopefully it'll stay clean.
Mine came in yesterday, it took just 2 days after ordering!
It was nicely packaged in cardboard and wrapped. I only noticed a couple of small rust spots in the weld, clean and in good shape otherwise.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't look as nice as the Costco Tonic Performance one.
I've had that one for a few years now though and I'm upgrading because I ran out of sleeve space.

This thing is a massive beast. You definitely feel the thicker handles.
I don't know yet whether it'll have a negative effect on my max lift, but I actually liked the handles on a few lighter test lifts yesterday.
The knurling is also a bit less aggressive than the Costco one.
Feb 25, 2004
362 posts
288 upvotes
Montreal
This is still available, and I got asked for an update, so here it is.

The thicker handles work way better for me for some reason, and I don't have large hands at all.
Whereas previously I would have the bar where my fingers join my palm to prevent skin from getting pinched, with this I can grab it in my palm for a stronger grip without my skin getting pinched.
The knurling is a bit less aggressive than the Tonic Performance bar, but it's still significant. I prefer this one, and I also use liquid chalk.

I do 6 rep sets normally for deadlifts, so I do hold on to the bar for a significant length of time.
Maybe the same concerns about thick handles on barbells don't directly apply to hex bars with neutral grip, no idea.

The only thing is that it's not as nice looking as the TP chrome finish bar, the silver paint on the smooth parts does rub off on your hands some, so it needs a good cleaning.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
Never try these. Is it basically only for deadlift, so can have a side-grips? Tempted to try... but do kinda running out of space in my basement storage/gym area and this thing looks to take up a lot of floor space...
Jan 20, 2007
566 posts
47 upvotes
Burlington
boyohboy wrote: Never try these. Is it basically only for deadlift, so can have a side-grips? Tempted to try... but do kinda running out of space in my basement storage/gym area and this thing looks to take up a lot of floor space...
Pretty much only for dead lift, maybe you could do some overhead press or even bench but i am not sure how you would rack it. 10 years ago, I had not seen anyone using it, seems to have become more popular recently. I still wouldn't invest in this. Not for a home gym atleast. It basically will change the center of gravity (closer to your feet) when you are deadlifting, allowing you to pick up more weight. With a 7ft olympic bar, the center of gravity is slightly in front of your feet so it would be harder to lift same amount of weight.
]M[ /A\ ]N[ ][ ]K
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
boyohboy wrote: Never try these. Is it basically only for deadlift, so can have a side-grips? Tempted to try... but do kinda running out of space in my basement storage/gym area and this thing looks to take up a lot of floor space...
I have used them for shrugs and rows as well.
The hex bar deadlift will put more emphasis on the quads, it mimicks the leg press.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5659 posts
9734 upvotes
BC
Manik wrote: Pretty much only for dead lift, maybe you could do some overhead press or even bench but i am not sure how you would rack it. 10 years ago, I had not seen anyone using it, seems to have become more popular recently. I still wouldn't invest in this. Not for a home gym atleast. It basically will change the center of gravity (closer to your feet) when you are deadlifting, allowing you to pick up more weight. With a 7ft olympic bar, the center of gravity is slightly in front of your feet so it would be harder to lift same amount of weight.
Bench and OHP with a trap bar?? that would be a sight to see lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
peakingduck wrote: Bench and OHP with a trap bar?? that would be a sight to see lol

I would do the OHP, looks like a good exercise as the bar is at the center of gravity and not in front of you.
For the bench press however, I'd use a swiss bar if I wanted a neutral grip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)