[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal

[Walmart] CAP Barbell Olympic Bar, 2-Inch, 1200-Pound Capacity, 7ft - $217.97

Good bar for the price.
And because most RFDers lift 1000lbs+, this bar should handle enough weights for ya ;)

Anyone knows if the sleeves have stripes?
I have a CAP bar that has stripes, and it make a huge scratching noise everytime I put my cast iron plates on.
81 replies
Nov 22, 2009
800 posts
873 upvotes
Toronto
This bar does have grooves on the sleeves.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
flaris wrote: This bar does have grooves on the sleeves.
I swear I wake up the baby whenever I put the 45s on, wife gets mad every time lol
Apr 18, 2017
28 posts
21 upvotes
Dang I bought a 5ft barbell for 57$ from Walmart a few months ago. Is there that big of a price difference? Not exactly how much it can lift since the listing is now gone
Nov 22, 2009
800 posts
873 upvotes
Toronto
kireshantht wrote: Dang I bought a 5ft barbell for 57$ from Walmart a few months ago. Is there that big of a price difference? Not exactly how much it can lift since the listing is now gone
This is more of a entry level "performance bar" - doesn't use the crappy nut bearing that cheaper bars do. The main issue with a 5ft barbell is that it won't fit inside a power rack.
Apr 18, 2017
28 posts
21 upvotes
LOL yeah it definitely doesn't fit in the power rack I bought. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet, thanks.
Apr 19, 2009
21 posts
16 upvotes
Thanks OP! Been trying to find a 7' bar for over a month now.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3449 posts
4897 upvotes
BC
Madevilz wrote: Good bar for the price.
And because most RFDers lift 1000lbs+, this bar should handle enough weights for ya ;)

Anyone knows if the sleeves have stripes?
I have a CAP bar that has stripes, and it make a huge scratching noise everytime I put my cast iron plates on.
Yes the sleeves are ribbed and will cause metal shavings if you have cast iron plates. Sometimes they result in slivers.

No issues after I swapped my plates out with rubber coated plates that have the smooth metal hole.

Other than that it's a pretty solid bar. Knurling might be aggressive for some, was painful for the first few weeks of use, maybe since I took a break from lifting.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
peakingduck wrote: Yes the sleeves are ribbed and will cause metal shavings if you have cast iron plates. Sometimes they result in slivers.

No issues after I swapped my plates out with rubber coated plates that have the smooth metal hole.

Other than that it's a pretty solid bar. Knurling might be aggressive for some, was painful for the first few weeks of use, maybe since I took a break from lifting.
Any Canadian brand make smooth sleeves?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
3449 posts
4897 upvotes
BC
Madevilz wrote: Any Canadian brand make smooth sleeves?
Haven't tried them but check out synergy barbell or bells of steel. Seems to be well rated by the community.
Jan 19, 2017
526 posts
834 upvotes
over $200 for a bar?!?! Jeez picking up and putting down arbitrary amounts of weight is getting expensive.
Jun 22, 2016
337 posts
248 upvotes
Not important
peakingduck wrote: Haven't tried them but check out synergy barbell or bells of steel. Seems to be well rated by the community.
Yeah I got my synergee rhino powerlifting bar in less than a month at only 15ish dollars more than this bar after taxes. Really happy with the purchase so far although some complained the knurling isn’t aggressive enough as stated. Fine for me.
May 28, 2011
699 posts
743 upvotes
Lag333 wrote: Yeah I got my synergee rhino powerlifting bar in less than a month at only 15ish dollars more than this bar after taxes. Really happy with the purchase so far although some complained the knurling isn’t aggressive enough as stated. Fine for me.
Yup, not as good of a deal compared to the Synergee one.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
peakingduck wrote: Haven't tried them but check out synergy barbell or bells of steel. Seems to be well rated by the community.
Any thoughts on Tonic Performance bars? Their warehouse is near and they got bars in stock.
Oct 9, 2018
146 posts
57 upvotes
Tagging along on this thread - anyone know where I can find 15-20lb dumbbells anywhere in Toronto?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6774 posts
2745 upvotes
Montreal
reeepo wrote: Tagging along on this thread - anyone know where I can find 15-20lb dumbbells anywhere in Toronto?
Use stocktrack for Walmart and Canadian Tire.
Ive seen stock for the 15 to 20lbs in my area.
Apr 8, 2019
38 posts
92 upvotes
Only 1200 lbs capacity? That's a deal breaker for me.
Feb 25, 2004
351 posts
271 upvotes
Montreal
Madevilz wrote: Any thoughts on Tonic Performance bars? Their warehouse is near and they got bars in stock.
They have bars of varying quality. Their prices are usually quite fair though so I'd say go for it.
Since they're all in stock, I'd say skip the $135 one, I had one similar to that one that got bent.
Dec 26, 2016
51 posts
25 upvotes
Madevilz wrote: I swear I wake up the baby whenever I put the 45s on, wife gets mad every time lol
I see myself in your comment.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2386 posts
3419 upvotes
Just ordered one. December 30th estimated delivery.

With Winnipeg in a seemingly forever code red restriction, all gyms closed, and all stores only allowed to sell essentials only, I have to start working on a proper home gym. Couldn't even buy the Bowflex 552's from Costco even if they were in stock since they wouldn't be allowed to sell them to you.

Now I need a budget power cage, bench, and olympic plates.