Jan 12, 2014
4217 posts
9619 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …

[Walmart] Chef's Choice Electric Knife Sharpener $19.97

Chef's Choice Electric Knife Sharpener $19.97

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/6000197346958

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=8787702211
New efficient sharpening technology for an extremely sharp burr-free edge with lots of "bite". Combines electric and manual sharpening technologies.
• Uses 100% diamond abrasives
• 2 stage sharpening provides an arch shaped edge that is strong and durable
• Sharpens both straight and serrated blades
41 replies
Mar 8, 2020
131 posts
145 upvotes
would this be much better to use than one of those small manual 2-stage pull through sharpeners?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2003
1131 posts
138 upvotes
Stocktrack showing $40 in my area, it might be store special clearance.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4964 posts
2371 upvotes
Markham
guessing this one doesn't do both 15 and 20 degrees
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
tetris wrote: Stocktrack showing $40 in my area, it might be store special clearance.
$19.97 is the online price.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2002
1539 posts
982 upvotes
Based on the pic, model is “Hybrid 202-2”. Can’t find anything online about it. Price seems good but no idea how this compares to the more expensive Chef’s Choice sharpeners.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
4455 posts
8626 upvotes
Abbotsford B.C.
all stores near me show $39.97
Mar 1, 2012
101 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
you can order online and pickup in store. have to pay 5 handling fee though
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7363 posts
8043 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
vader_slri wrote: Based on the pic, model is “Hybrid 202-2”. Can’t find anything online about it. Price seems good but no idea how this compares to the more expensive Chef’s Choice sharpeners.
I'm thinking that might be a model number specific to Walmart. There's one on Target.com that's 100% identical, except it's white and its number is 200-2.

At only $40 regular price and no reviews I wouldn't expect any miracles.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1640 posts
1875 upvotes
Airdrie
Could be pretty decent deal. I'm guessing it does 20 degree angles. But if it sharpens as well as my 1520 then $20 is a great price.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2686 posts
1786 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
I was about to take my Henckle Twilling made in Germany knives to a professional knife sharpener. He charges $1 per inch. Can someone recommend a decent knife sharpener or will a two sided wet stone do the trick along with honing steel?
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Oct 25, 2001
901 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
StealthFinder wrote: I was about to take my Henckle Twilling made in Germany knives to a professional knife sharpener. He charges $1 per inch. Can someone recommend a decent knife sharpener or will a two sided wet stone do the trick along with honing steel?
That will do the trick but it's whether or not your technique is any good without a guide. Some may find it hard to keep the proper angle while sharpening. That's the draw of these Chef's Choice sharpeners - pretty fool proof.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2686 posts
1786 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
But then I also read somewhere that these types of sharpeners take off the steel too.
Miguel Sánchez wrote: That will do the trick but it's whether or not your technique is any good without a guide. Some may find it hard to keep the proper angle while sharpening. That's the draw of these Chef's Choice sharpeners - pretty fool proof.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest, Friendliest & Most Haunted town in Canada
Support local small business
Oct 25, 2001
901 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
StealthFinder wrote: But then I also read somewhere that these types of sharpeners take off the steel too.
All sharpeners take off steel. Honing steels straighten the edge.
Apr 7, 2015
735 posts
688 upvotes
Vancouver Island
StealthFinder wrote: But then I also read somewhere that these types of sharpeners take off the steel too.
This type of sharpener (diamond wheels) takes off significantly less material than carbide and ceramic manual sharpeners.

The whole "don't use an electric knife sharpener" idealogy was true was true before, but then the industry got better. The only reasons to avoid Chef's Choice electric sharpeners would be to avoid the marks the guides can leave on your knives (i.e. if you bought that $350 Kramer Damascus) or you're so skilled with blocks that you can do a better job by hand, which very few people can.

This particular sharpener is only good for 20° Western-style knives. Anything from Japan and most modern knives use the much slimmer and sharper 15° edge.

This is probably also slower to sharpen than their $100+ models, but the diamond wheels inside should be the same.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20527 posts
13916 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
StealthFinder wrote: I was about to take my Henckle Twilling made in Germany knives to a professional knife sharpener. He charges $1 per inch. Can someone recommend a decent knife sharpener or will a two sided wet stone do the trick along with honing steel?
A good honing steel may be all you need for now especially if you haven't honed the blade ever - you will have to hone it multiple times however.

The question is - what's the condition of the blade's edge? Any damage or is it just mis-aligned in parts (which is very common). Honing won't fix any ticks or redefine the bevel... it will generally improve what you have.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1640 posts
1875 upvotes
Airdrie
Nikhilvoid wrote: Should I get this or a new whetstone?

I have a 5000 grit Suehiro Rika 5000 one, but that's for polishing.

I was thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075T64F9S/
Its a personal choice, the whetstone will always reign supreme for the knife sharpening purist.

But for a more casual user like myself the chefs choice (I have the 1520) can do a better job in less than 5 mins than I can do in 30 mins+ (or possibly ever) on the whetstone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20527 posts
13916 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nikhilvoid wrote: Should I get this or a new whetstone?

I have a 5000 grit Suehiro Rika 5000 one, but that's for polishing.

I was thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075T64F9S/
Electric sharpeners typically have very aggressive stones in order to put a bevel on an edge with the fewest passes of the blade. As such, you may find that even with the electric sharpener, you might get a finish that is the same as the 400 grit stone and as such, to be able to use your 5000 grit stone effectively, you will need a middle step or two (ie a 1000 grit stone) aways in order to get a good enough surface to use that 5000.

IMHO, if you put a good edge on a blade, the need for aggressive stones is fairly low as long as there isn't any damage on the edge - ie a quick touch up using higher grit stones is all that is required for most well kept blades along with frequent honing.
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5189 posts
7593 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
craftsman wrote:
Electric sharpeners typically have very aggressive stones in order to put a bevel on an edge with the fewest passes of the blade. As such, you may find that even with the electric sharpener, you might get a finish that is the same as the 400 grit stone and as such, to be able to use your 5000 grit stone effectively, you will need a middle step or two (ie a 1000 grit stone) aways in order to get a good enough surface to use that 5000.

IMHO, if you put a good edge on a blade, the need for aggressive stones is fairly low as long as there isn't any damage on the edge - ie a quick touch up using higher grit stones is all that is required for most well kept blades along with frequent honing.
Thanks, so I should get the Chinese 400/1000 stone instead?

edit: I found I had this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001CQTLJM

What equivalent grit would this be? 400 for the fine one?
Last edited by Nikhilvoid on Jul 18th, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.