Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] [CLEARANCE) Fram Tough Guard Oil Filter ($3 - $9)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 6:40 am
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
1621 posts
3597 upvotes
This is why I stopped using Fram.



I keep my vehicles for a long time and saving a few $ on a cheap filter is just not worth it.
Newbie
Sep 26, 2018
96 posts
143 upvotes
Guys I have two oil filter giving out for free because I sold my car, location GTA york region

Ch10955
Newbie
Apr 27, 2017
31 posts
7 upvotes
I picked up 4 for my 2016 jeep renegade for $3 each. Warranty approved and I change every 7000K good deal!
Member
Dec 25, 2012
438 posts
435 upvotes
Ontario
Fram filter , anyone with commonsense would know I meant that but a typo occurred. Also since you're reading so closely, I also mentioned Castrol oil, that's all I put in my engine 5w20 conventional as per owners manual. So I don't know what garbage oil you're getting for $45, but I pay for Castrol and an oil change cost me $45 at Great Canadian Oil. Anyways I just don't see the cost savings is all I'm saying, where do these people dispose of their old oil?, what about the time to drive to the disposal site and back plus your labor if you value your time, just to save $20? versus a 20 minute oil change by people who do it all day long. I drive my vehicles all to 400+km or more. Then again if you're talking about synthetic, it might be cheaper by a larger margin. But my vehicle (economy compact car) doesn't call for synthetic so I don't see any cost savings.
cb8888 wrote: Whats a frame filter? Sounds cool!

Also, do you know what oil you're getting for 45 bucks? Because I know for a fact 95% of these places offering 45 dollar synthetic oil changes are using garbage no name oil that has zero approvals (just "exceeds recommendations" on the bottle)
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2003
1311 posts
21 upvotes
I only use Fram for my Hyundai. I compared to OEM and couldn't tell the difference. However, i only buy the made in korea ones since i've found the same filter model with different countries of origin.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2004
928 posts
507 upvotes
Edmonton
Krime1k wrote: This is why I stopped using Fram.



I keep my vehicles for a long time and saving a few $ on a cheap filter is just not worth it.
Good video. I've stopped using the cheaper Fram because once I removed the filter on my campervan and believe it or not, the oil filter was empty, oil had all been sucked back. So much for a backflow valve. I try to get better ones from rockauto (Wix) but otherwise I'll splurge and buy higher end ones.
Previous wins:
2007
-Fujifilm Finepix Z10FD 7.2mp (Green) 210$
-2x Xbox 360 (Oct 29 & Nov 1) 300$
-2x EA SPORTS
Member
Oct 26, 2016
303 posts
391 upvotes
micromen wrote: Fram filter , anyone with commonsense would know I meant that but a typo occurred. Also since you're reading so closely, I also mentioned Castrol oil, that's all I put in my engine 5w20 conventional as per owners manual. So I don't know what garbage oil you're getting for $45, but I pay for Castrol and an oil change cost me $45 at Great Canadian Oil. Anyways I just don't see the cost savings is all I'm saying, where do these people dispose of their old oil?, what about the time to drive to the disposal site and back plus your labor if you value your time, just to save $20? versus a 20 minute oil change by people who do it all day long. I drive my vehicles all to 400+km or more. Then again if you're talking about synthetic, it might be cheaper by a larger margin. But my vehicle (economy compact car) doesn't call for synthetic so I don't see any cost savings.
I hope you realize I was joking regarding "frame" instead of fram.

Also, I'm glad you get your oil changes for 45 with Castrol, good price indeed. I'm also glad you trust the kid at the oil change place to put the right grade oil in your car, and actually tighten the drain bolt and filter properly... I don't, I trust very few people to touch my cars, and I like getting my hands dirty, which is somewhat of an art these days as people are so lazy, they just pay some one else to do a half ass job usually... Guess you can't put a price on workmanship these days now can you?

So clearly, I have some common sense, but what's common sense to me, might not be to you :)
Jr. Member
Mar 31, 2011
170 posts
135 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
wilbrod wrote: I try to get better ones from rockauto (Wix) but otherwise I'll splurge and buy higher end ones.
NAPA line is a Wix derivative, just sayin'.
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5464 posts
5100 upvotes
Downtown Canada
ca_gascon wrote: Anyone doing 12,000km OCI? Well, that's what the manual states for 2013 Hyundai Elantra and I believe newer cars too.

Also, I noticed they increased the rating for tough guard. It used to be 16000km, now it's 24000km. Synthetic used to be 24000km, now 32000km. I wonder what kind of improvements they have done.

I used to do 2 OCI on one Fram Synthetic. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat Does anyone here reuse their filter?
I do my oil changed every 8K despite what the filter or oil say 24K or 10K.
Sr. Member
Aug 7, 2019
768 posts
265 upvotes
Inno wrote: Scooped some up for my Elantra and Sonata for $3 each.

I noticed that some sneaky people had switched I correct paper cartridge filters with the 9688 boxes, so they could get the 9688s scanned for cheaper. Pretty low!
Like they were switching up boxes right in front of you? That will really suck for whoever buys the expensive ones expecting to get the good stuff.
Newbie
Jul 3, 2017
92 posts
56 upvotes
micromen wrote: Fram filter , anyone with commonsense would know I meant that but a typo occurred. Also since you're reading so closely, I also mentioned Castrol oil, that's all I put in my engine 5w20 conventional as per owners manual. So I don't know what garbage oil you're getting for $45, but I pay for Castrol and an oil change cost me $45 at Great Canadian Oil. Anyways I just don't see the cost savings is all I'm saying, where do these people dispose of their old oil?, what about the time to drive to the disposal site and back plus your labor if you value your time, just to save $20? versus a 20 minute oil change by people who do it all day long. I drive my vehicles all to 400+km or more. Then again if you're talking about synthetic, it might be cheaper by a larger margin. But my vehicle (economy compact car) doesn't call for synthetic so I don't see any cost savings.
This is RFD! $20 saved is $20 saved. I did my own oil change and now I know how it's done. And found out the guy that did my oil change for 45-50 bucks last time over tightened the nut (for draining the oil) and wore that nut out. :(
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
7107 posts
1168 upvotes
Toronto
DrDoomsday wrote: Like they were switching up boxes right in front of you? That will really suck for whoever buys the expensive ones expecting to get the good stuff.
Not in front of me, already done before I arrived. I noticed that some of the 9688s were very light, so opened the boxes. I left them open to prevent other buyers from getting screwed.
Newbie
Nov 12, 2014
36 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ca_gascon wrote: Anyone doing 12,000km OCI? Well, that's what the manual states for 2013 Hyundai Elantra and I believe newer cars too.

Also, I noticed they increased the rating for tough guard. It used to be 16000km, now it's 24000km. Synthetic used to be 24000km, now 32000km. I wonder what kind of improvements they have done.

I used to do 2 OCI on one Fram Synthetic. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat Does anyone here reuse their filter?
I change the oil about every 7-8000km. I think on newer cars you can go longer and the car will be fine to about 200k km without a problem. But I wonder if that assumes most people don’t want to keep their car longer than 8-10 years or around 200k km, so for most people a more frequent oil change would be a waste of money.

But I would never re-use a filter, that just seems to defeat the purpose of doing an oil change.

Top