Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] [CLEARANCE) Fram Tough Guard Oil Filter ($3 - $9)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 6:40 am
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
yeah this kinda hurt, i wished i don't really stock up on oil filter before, i have 3 in stock already.

just quick story, that i am glad i change my own oil and take care of my car myself. i use hyundai with 9688 oil filter and always been fram, no problem with my high milage car (190,000 kms). i bought it at 144,000kms, change every 8,000kms or 9,000kms or so, no problem.

i also changed my ATF with motomaster low viscosity for my car once last year (NOT FLUSHED, JUST CHANGED ATF), idk if it helps, i hope it helps to get my car running longer than if i dont change them.

i did more maintenance to my car not just that, but i'm so glad that i did :)
Feb 15, 2006
75 posts
83 upvotes
cb8888 wrote: Also, I'm glad you get your oil changes for 45 with Castrol, good price indeed. I'm also glad you trust the kid at the oil change place to put the right grade oil in your car, and actually tighten the drain bolt and filter properly... I don't, I trust very few people to touch my cars, and I like getting my hands dirty, which is somewhat of an art these days as people are so lazy, they just pay some one else to do a half ass job usually... Guess you can't put a price on workmanship these days now can you?

So clearly, I have some common sense, but what's common sense to me, might not be to you :)
Anytime there is a thread like this there is also someone who makes the "I value my time more than that argument". Some people see all time taken away from the TV/other leisure as 'work', which is to be avoided. Some would take on a task that ends up paying them $4 per hour because they enjoy the process. All depends on how you're wired. But at the same time, I don't know why some people feel the need to weigh in on these types of threads, other than that certain people need to have their financial reasoning reaffirmed (Homer: "Everyone's stupid except me...").

I started out by learning to change the oil on my car. I bought a jack and two jack stands. With that gear I can also change my winter tires in 30 minutes when other people have to wait a week or more to get an appointment. Then I took on the task of replacing my break pads and rotors, changing my transmission fluid, headlights if you are unfortunate to own a car that requires the tires and plastic moulding to be removed to change the headlights... All of these add up. I'm the type of person who gets a lot of enjoyment out of DIY, so even though this work might only be paying me $20 per hour, I'll take that action all day long. Plus it gives me an excuse to avoid the wife and kids for a few hours.
Feb 15, 2006
75 posts
83 upvotes
quetzpro wrote: yeah this kinda hurt, i wished i don't really stock up on oil filter before, i have 3 in stock already.

just quick story, that i am glad i change my own oil and take care of my car myself. i use hyundai with 9688 oil filter and always been fram, no problem with my high milage car (190,000 kms). i bought it at 144,000kms, change every 8,000kms or 9,000kms or so, no problem.

i also changed my ATF with motomaster low viscosity for my car once last year (NOT FLUSHED, JUST CHANGED ATF), idk if it helps, i hope it helps to get my car running longer than if i dont change them.

i did more maintenance to my car not just that, but i'm so glad that i did :)
My understanding with ATF changes is that you are best to do a 3X, which means you replace the ATF 3 times about 1000 km apart. When you drain the ATF from underneath your car, you only get out about 3 L out of the 12L it holds. So you drain 3L, put 3 back in, let it mix for about 1000 km, then repeat the process two more times. You might be wasting fluid, but it'll still save you $100 or whatever from what you'd pay at a shop.
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
Hornell wrote: My understanding with ATF changes is that you are best to do a 3X, which means you replace the ATF 3 times about 1000 km apart. When you drain the ATF from underneath your car, you only get out about 3 L out of the 12L it holds. So you drain 3L, put 3 back in, let it mix for about 1000 km, then repeat the process two more times. You might be wasting fluid, but it'll still save you $100 or whatever from what you'd pay at a shop.
first of, changing one time of ATF is more like 40-45% of the fluid, not 25% like you mentioned

i am aware that it's best to do it multiple times, but i really don't mind having 55% old fluid mix with 45% new fluid, it's still better than not changing it at all
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1898 posts
1368 upvotes
Hornell wrote: My understanding with ATF changes is that you are best to do a 3X, which means you replace the ATF 3 times about 1000 km apart. When you drain the ATF from underneath your car, you only get out about 3 L out of the 12L it holds. So you drain 3L, put 3 back in, let it mix for about 1000 km, then repeat the process two more times. You might be wasting fluid, but it'll still save you $100 or whatever from what you'd pay at a shop.
Depends on the vehicle. Sounds like you might drive a Honda.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15445 posts
4606 upvotes
London
Krime1k wrote: This is why I stopped using Fram. .
I keep my vehicles for a long time and saving a few $ on a cheap filter is just not worth it.
Don't believe everything you see on the interwebs. The infamous "orange can of death" is almost a urban myth

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eati ... o-1261517/

Eating crow, Fram oil filters, and my visit to Fram's R&D facility in Dayton Ohio

The subject of oil filters, like conventional vs. synthetic oil, is an emotional subject for many. I have to admit that over the past 10-15 years, I was caught up in the oil filter debates and formed some very strong opinions… particularly about Fram’s oil filters. Based on what I had seen posted on the Internet, I became a fairly vocal anti-Fram oil filter type individual.

Personally, I had settled on AC-Delco and Purolator’s oil filters and they are what I had been running in all my vehicles. I was comfortable for many years with my opinion that AC-Delco, Purolator, Wix, etc. oil filters were good and that Fram was bad.

Much to my personal embarrassment, I recently learned that I have been wrong about Fram’s oil filters .......................................
Oct 31, 2010
527 posts
313 upvotes
Edmonton
cb8888 wrote: I hope you realize I was joking regarding "frame" instead of fram.

Also, I'm glad you get your oil changes for 45 with Castrol, good price indeed. I'm also glad you trust the kid at the oil change place to put the right grade oil in your car, and actually tighten the drain bolt and filter properly... I don't, I trust very few people to touch my cars, and I like getting my hands dirty, which is somewhat of an art these days as people are so lazy, they just pay some one else to do a half ass job usually... Guess you can't put a price on workmanship these days now can you?

So clearly, I have some common sense, but what's common sense to me, might not be to you :)
I have a friend that took his brand new truck to the dealership to get the oil changed. He was sitting in the truck waiting for it to get done when the tech doing the change told him to turn the truck on. He did and the tech quickly told him to shut it off. The technician had forgot to put oil back into the truck before telling him to start it up(!!!!). His brand new truck had catastrophic engine failure a few months later. The dealership fixed it for free, but his truck never ran the same again. He eventually traded it in because he didnt have time to deal with it anymore.
Aug 12, 2018
122 posts
100 upvotes
Have been using Fram XG and TG series for years with pennzoil platinum with no issues. I do 10k changes and never had an issues.
Dec 30, 2014
48 posts
31 upvotes
Manitoba
Krime1k wrote: This is why I stopped using Fram.

I keep my vehicles for a long time and saving a few $ on a cheap filter is just not worth it.
It's probably good to avoid the standard Fram orange can, but the Tough Guard series are good filters.
Apr 9, 2019
28 posts
23 upvotes
Here's hoping my local Walmart has this and the Royal purple on sale. $23 for synthetic oil change is good in my books. If I can get my hands on the Royal Purple I'll test it at the lab I work at and post the reference data for anyone's interest.
Oct 22, 2005
803 posts
319 upvotes
Toronto
thanks OP!..grabbed 5 of the 7317's for both my Infiniti and Nissan models as both have the same engine and use the same filters!
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3113 posts
1814 upvotes
pendragon wrote: thanks OP!..grabbed 5 of the 7317's for both my Infiniti and Nissan models as both have the same engine and use the same filters!
Grabbed 15 this morning.
Oct 26, 2016
303 posts
391 upvotes
I have heard of the fram orange death and avoid it like the plague... personally, I used them in several old Hondas without blinking and never thought about it... Never had an issue to date. Yesterday was the first time I looked where Fram orange is made, and indeed it is China, versus Fram TG which is made in the USA...

That said, I know the made in X makes people feel warm and fuzzy, if it's not made in China, however, that doesn't mean all things made in China are garbage... it's all about the quality control that each company implements. A good example is Bosch... I've bought Bosch products several times, guess where they were all made? Never once have I had an issue

The where it's made doesn't always make it good! I can tell you that there are several products made in USA that are garbage, it's all about quality control folks!
Dec 10, 2013
26 posts
1 upvote
SURREY
Thanks!! Mine came to like 55 cents, even tho the tag on the shelf showed regular price.