Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] [CLEARANCE) Fram Tough Guard Oil Filter ($3 - $9)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 6:40 am
Nov 21, 2012
233 posts
98 upvotes
Richmond
3express wrote: Hmm I don't know much about using a slightly different size of oil filter.

What's the worst that could happen? Oil drips out onto the ground? Or something worse?
Not sure about other cars but I have been using 3614 on my Suzuki Grand Vitara quite a few times and had no issues so far. Actually I had my own doubt when the mechanic first used it to replace my standard 2951 but after some online search it seems legit. They are both interchangeable with M1-102 and share the same Bypass Valve PSI.
Jul 2, 2014
453 posts
145 upvotes
Maple, ON
I never had a problem with Fram. Been using em for the past decade and they do their job. I am now using em on my motorcycle. Its convenient because they're so easy to find.
Aug 11, 2014
304 posts
198 upvotes
alfred2003 wrote: Not sure about other cars but I have been using 3614 on my Suzuki Grand Vitara quite a few times and had no issues so far. Actually I had my own doubt when the mechanic first used it to replace my standard 2951 but after some online search it seems legit. They are both interchangeable with M1-102 and share the same Bypass Valve PSI.
Interesting, I'll have to do some more research into this as well. Thanks for the tips.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3113 posts
1814 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Don't believe everything you see on the interwebs. The infamous "orange can of death" is almost a urban myth

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/eati ... o-1261517/

Eating crow, Fram oil filters, and my visit to Fram's R&D facility in Dayton Ohio

The subject of oil filters, like conventional vs. synthetic oil, is an emotional subject for many. I have to admit that over the past 10-15 years, I was caught up in the oil filter debates and formed some very strong opinions… particularly about Fram’s oil filters. Based on what I had seen posted on the Internet, I became a fairly vocal anti-Fram oil filter type individual.

Personally, I had settled on AC-Delco and Purolator’s oil filters and they are what I had been running in all my vehicles. I was comfortable for many years with my opinion that AC-Delco, Purolator, Wix, etc. oil filters were good and that Fram was bad.

Much to my personal embarrassment, I recently learned that I have been wrong about Fram’s oil filters .......................................
That is from 2003, alot could have changed in 17 years.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10337 posts
4811 upvotes
For someone asking about using a different size filter and whats the worst that can happen. As long as its the same thread and the actually filter is just larger then its perfectly fine.
In my truck i use a larger filter as its better and same price. So as long as the thread is the exact same and its a larger filter capacity its great. Dont used a shorter filter.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
Buy first think later!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5427 posts
1838 upvotes
GTEH!
Thanks OP. Hot Deal!!
Found the last 5 TG7317 filters at Mississauga Walmart for $3 each. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
😎
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1500 posts
930 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Make sure you open these up at the store. Alot of people love swapping the synthetic filters into the cheaper extra guard boxes.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3742 posts
3840 upvotes
GTA
cristianosham wrote: That is from 2003, alot could have changed in 17 years.
The myth that Fram = bad is even older.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5427 posts
1838 upvotes
GTEH!
ssjlancer wrote: Make sure you open these up at the store. Alot of people love swapping the synthetic filters into the cheaper extra guard boxes.
Yes. I do this all the time when purchasing Toughguard oil filters, check to make sure it's the right filter in the box.
😎
Nov 22, 2010
79 posts
74 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: For someone asking about using a different size filter and whats the worst that can happen. As long as its the same thread and the actually filter is just larger then its perfectly fine.
In my truck i use a larger filter as its better and same price. So as long as the thread is the exact same and its a larger filter capacity its great. Dont used a shorter filter.
Exactly, amost all Honda civic fanboy use S2000 Filter because there twice as big, and it's a good thing Thumbs Up Sign
Oct 20, 2007
365 posts
111 upvotes
Orillia, ON
Thank you OP. I was able to get some TG6607 for $3 each.
Please clicks thanks in the lower left corner if this post is helpful.
Jul 23, 2015
718 posts
506 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I got the extra guard for $0.55 + $0.02 enviro.

Ch10246 for a chevy ecotec 1.8 in Langley BC
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7939 posts
4339 upvotes
Alberta
Comical wrote: I never had a problem with Fram. Been using em for the past decade and they do their job. I am now using em on my motorcycle. Its convenient because they're so easy to find.
I only used the Fram Extra Guard on my 1986 Mustang GT for 23 years. Never had a single issue and changed the 10W-30 conventional oil every 8000 kms. The engine was still good and never burnt a drop of oil when I sold the car with just a few kms short of 300K.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1487 posts
234 upvotes
Scarborough Town Centre location has the Ultra Guard Filters for synthetic on clearance. Found what looked to be the very last one for my Camry for $5 Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Really need a Honda size 7317 but that was empty.

They also had Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 grade but it scanned at $49.99. Scouring the local Walmart’s for this...