634 posts
1290 upvotes
Mississauga

[Walmart] cloth diapers charlie banana on clearance

28 replies
Feb 22, 2009
171 posts
12 upvotes
Bought a bunch to dabble into cloth diapering! Our 4-month has mild-moderate diaper rash that we can't seem to get rid of or just keeps coming back.
May 23, 2017
470 posts
248 upvotes
Thank you! We're expecting a newborn in March and cloth diapers were on the list of stuff we still needed to buy. This looks like a great deal.

Since we are total newbies to this: how many should I purchase? And will these resize well enough to get us from newborn -> toddler phase?
May 23, 2017
470 posts
248 upvotes
Also: should we just go with the inserts that come with the diaper, or would buying a separate pack of disposable liners make our lives easier?
Nov 10, 2003
151 posts
80 upvotes
New Westminster

Was thinking I might do cloth too, video sold me off it. I'd pretty much always want to use a liner and they cost the same as the diaper.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5808 posts
1649 upvotes
Montreal
jk9088 wrote: Thank you! We're expecting a newborn in March and cloth diapers were on the list of stuff we still needed to buy. This looks like a great deal.

Since we are total newbies to this: how many should I purchase? And will these resize well enough to get us from newborn -> toddler phase?
jk9088 wrote: Also: should we just go with the inserts that come with the diaper, or would buying a separate pack of disposable liners make our lives easier?
Congratulations!

I can't speak to this specific brand, but a good cloth diaper should last until your kid is potty trained. These seem to lack snaps in the crotch area (example here) which allow for a snugger fit on younger babies. We opted to start are kids on cloth diapers around 6 months when they started eating solids. Before that, you're changing diapers 10-12 times a day and poop is harder to clean.

Along with the inserts that come with the diapers, we use disposable bamboo sheets which allow you to easily dispose of most poop in the toilet. A bidet hose is also a good investment for rinsing after bigger poops unless you want to use your handheld shower head in the tub.

I'd recommend getting 24 diapers. You'll go through ~8 a day for a while which means you'll be washing them every 3 days. You can get away with 16 but you'll have to go through the washing process more frequently.

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5808 posts
1649 upvotes
Montreal
abridges wrote: Was thinking I might do cloth too, video sold me off it. I'd pretty much always want to use a liner and they cost the same as the diaper.
Which liner are you talking about? The thick disposable inserts shown in the video are overkill and we've never used them. I suppose they'd be good for overnight, but we just use disposables at bedtime.

The bamboo liners are 6-8 cents per sheet (about 1/4 of the cost of a disposable diaper), considerably more eco-friendly and you don't need one on every diaper. You don't need them at all, in fact, if you have a bidet hose and don't mind a few extra seconds of clean up after a poopy diaper.
May 23, 2017
470 posts
248 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Congratulations!

I can't speak to this specific brand, but a good cloth diaper should last until your kid is potty trained. These seem to lack snaps in the crotch area (example here) which allow for a snugger fit on younger babies. We opted to start are kids on cloth diapers around 6 months when they started eating solids. Before that, you're changing diapers 10-12 times a day and poop is harder to clean.

Along with the inserts that come with the diapers, we use disposable bamboo sheets which allow you to easily dispose of most poop in the toilet. A bidet hose is also a good investment for rinsing after bigger poops unless you want to use your handheld shower head in the tub.

I'd recommend getting 24 diapers. You'll go through ~8 a day for a while which means you'll be washing them every 3 days. You can get away with 16 but you'll have to go through the washing process more frequently.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the info & tips! We were hoping to start with cloth diapers right away but I've definitely heard that newborns go through an insane amount of diapers in the first few months so maybe we should stick to disposables in the beginning like you did.

Just a clarification: so you use the insert for the diaper, plus the disposable bamboo sheet on top, and then you just dump the top liner with contents right into the toilet? Is that OK to do? (I've heard that so-called "flushable" baby wipes should not actually be flushed down the toilet as they can clog, so I'm wondering if that's also the case for these bamboo sheets?) And does that keep the rest of the cloth diaper clean or do you still need to change to a new cloth diaper, but I guess it makes the cloth diaper a lot easier to clean? (Compared to no bamboo sheet.)

Also you mentioned you don't need a bamboo sheet on every diaper...do you just use them overnight or...?
Oct 17, 2017
35 posts
9 upvotes
Not to detail the hot topic thread, but happy to share our experience with cloth! Mine’s 17 months and our $200 investment in the stash will last through this kid and any future ones we end up having. Feel free to PM me! We started right from newborn and it’s actually even easier before they start solids, especially if they are breastfed as their poop is water soluble and the whole thing can be thrown in the wash. Even if not, it takes an extra minute to scrape solids into the toilet, and wash as normal. All you need is Tide Powder, and you’re set to save $$$ and do your part for the environment.
Oct 17, 2017
35 posts
9 upvotes
abridges wrote:

Was thinking I might do cloth too, video sold me off it. I'd pretty much always want to use a liner and they cost the same as the diaper.
We never really had to do any liners - in the beginning the whole diaper can go in the wash as their poop is water soluble (for sure if breastfed, though some that formula feed say it can go in as well). Now that he is on solids, most of the time it just takes a minute to plop the poop in the toilet, and wash normally. You can use bamboo liners, but those are thin sheets of bamboo that cost maybe 5 cents (if at al that much) and not needed for every diaper.
Nov 1, 2016
658 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
We got 12 to start and depending on the brand you get they can expend to bigger sizes. Some brands only sell in sizes like xs,s,m, l which depends on a baby's weight.

I do a combination of both. At home she's in cloth diapers and when we go out we use disposables because it is much more convenient and holds more. More importantly I don't want to carry some stinky soiled diapers home in a Ziploc bag all day and have to deal with that.

Personally I find the liners are unnecessary and just added costs. When the baby poops, you can rinse the diaper under warm water and put it in the laundry pile with all the other soiled diapers. When you actually do the cleaning task for your newborn you don't even think twice about how disgusting it looks/feels/smells because as a parent you just do it.

Keep in mind that when your toddler goes to daycare, most daycare centres asks for disposable diapers and do not deal with cloth diapers too.

I would say cloth diapers are more expensive than buying disposables (whether you buy on sale, price match or use coupons) but if you plan on having more children than the investment might be worth it.
Oct 16, 2006
99 posts
33 upvotes
In my experience, one size diapers like these don't fit small newborns very well. With my first I used a newborn diaper rental program for a couple of weeks, and with the second I decided to use disposables until he grew into the one size diapers. Once they grow into them, they should fit until your kid is toilet trained.

You will probably want a minimum of 20 diapers to start, but I wouldn't suggest buying them all in the same brand in case you end up hating them (although the price of these might be worth the risk). If you end up liking cloth diapers, they can become a bit of an accessory and you will likely buy more you like down the line, or you may decide a mix of disposables and cloth works best for you, so you don't want to go totally crazy to start.

Personally I used bamboo liners for a few weeks when my kids first started solid foods, because it is a messy transition, but i found them totally unnecessary other than that.

Hope that helps some people.
Nov 10, 2003
151 posts
80 upvotes
New Westminster
Well now I am back to thinking maybe we will do it hahaha... how often are you doing laundry with cloth diapers? Once a day and putting them in the dryer?

Diapers I have found on sale have been not much more than the bamboo inserts found regular price on amazon... but if you don't need the liners it maybe worth the effort
Nov 1, 2016
658 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
abridges wrote: Well now I am back to thinking maybe we will do it hahaha... how often are you doing laundry with cloth diapers? Once a day and putting them in the dryer?

Diapers I have found on sale have been not much more than the bamboo inserts found regular price on amazon... but if you don't need the liners it maybe worth the effort
With my lot of 12 I did laundry every other day. Hang dry on the rack.

I suggest using a cloth diaper service for 2 weeks and find out if cloth diapers are really for your family. It is not for everyone.

Good luck!
Nov 10, 2003
151 posts
80 upvotes
New Westminster
I bought a bunch on the clearance.... sold me on it. Will have some chats with the wife and decide if we keep :)

I appreciate all the tips!