Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1307 posts
648 upvotes

Walmart cryovac ribs stink?

Hey all,

I loaded up on some Pork back ribs during the Walmart sale.

Opened one up today, and the smell is overwhelming....

I'm soaking the meat in white Vinegar atm. (probably should have used apple cider vinegar so I wouldn't have to wash it off)

The meat itself looks fine... Is it safe to eat this?

I don't usually cook with Pork.
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6471 posts
1249 upvotes
How would you describe the smell?

What do you hope to achieve with the vinegar?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
2390 posts
606 upvotes
Ontario
If the smell is so bad they are bad. Don't eat them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
if you're able to then refund it. It should never reek. There is a raw smell but not overwhelming. The vinegar will only kill the bacteria, but the bacteria secrete toxins that white vinegar will not remove. And if the meat is already rotten, no amount of cooking it is safe.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1462 posts
1025 upvotes
Brampton
Meat from older male pigs stinks but safe to eat
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12811 posts
7542 upvotes
Markham
If the dating is OK, and the seal is still there, it's likely OK.

I find Cryovac'd meat almost always has a smell to it IMO especially if you store it in the fridge for days thinking it's still before the best before date. Whenever I buy cryovac'd meat, I like to treat it like non cryovac'd meat and cook it soon after buying it rather than holding it. Alternatively you should freeze it if you don't intend on eating within a day or two.

https://www.freerangebutcher.com.au/abo ... packaging/

The meat will also sweat while in the packaging and this can result in an unpleasant smell when you first open the packaging (this is not an indication of the freshness of the meat). To overcome both of these effects, all you need to do is when you're ready to eat your meat, simply remove it from the packaging and leave it out for 10-15 minutes. When out of the packaging and exposed to oxygen again the meat will return to the usual red colour. Once you've removed the meat, simply rinse out the bag and throw it in the bin and the smell will disappear too.

https://blueskyranch.ca/blogs/beasty-bi ... defrosting

It can also have a funny smell when the package is first opened. This smell is in no way an indication that there is a problem with the meat. It is known as "confinement odour" and is a result of the vacuum sealing process. After a few minutes, the smell will disappear and the colour will return to normal.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Cryovac pork is sometimes funky.

Funny thing is I had a cryovac pair of ribs that opened funky and looked fine.
Next day they were solidly green.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1307 posts
648 upvotes
amz155 wrote: How would you describe the smell?

What do you hope to achieve with the vinegar?
The smell was similar to rotten eggs.

It's an island thing. My coworkers wash all their meat with white vinegar to clean it.
I was also hoping the vinegar would kill off whatever bacteria was causing the smell, but after soaking for 1hr the smell just came back when I rinsed off the vinegar.
gr8dlr wrote: If the dating is OK, and the seal is still there, it's likely OK.

I find Cryovac'd meat almost always has a smell to it IMO especially if you store it in the fridge for days thinking it's still before the best before date. Whenever I buy cryovac'd meat, I like to treat it like non cryovac'd meat and cook it soon after buying it rather than holding it. Alternatively you should freeze it if you don't intend on eating within a day or two.

https://www.freerangebutcher.com.au/abo ... packaging/

The meat will also sweat while in the packaging and this can result in an unpleasant smell when you first open the packaging (this is not an indication of the freshness of the meat). To overcome both of these effects, all you need to do is when you're ready to eat your meat, simply remove it from the packaging and leave it out for 10-15 minutes. When out of the packaging and exposed to oxygen again the meat will return to the usual red colour. Once you've removed the meat, simply rinse out the bag and throw it in the bin and the smell will disappear too.

https://blueskyranch.ca/blogs/beasty-bi ... defrosting

It can also have a funny smell when the package is first opened. This smell is in no way an indication that there is a problem with the meat. It is known as "confinement odour" and is a result of the vacuum sealing process. After a few minutes, the smell will disappear and the colour will return to normal.
I did not know this. I will do that from now on.
I'm my case I tried soaking it in vinegar for an hour and then rinsing it, but the smell still persisted.
jackrabbit000 wrote: Return it, I wouldn't eat it.
Walmart took it back. I packed up the ribs in a ziploc bag, dug out the packaging from the garbage, and they gave me a gift car with the value of my ribs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6312 posts
2821 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I found that with ribs from the earlier sale (sold out and never restocked on the last one). Taste fine when cooked.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
well, did you eat this already?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9598 posts
1851 upvotes
Toronto
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Most Westerners would just cook that up right out of the packaging onto the grill etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
gh05t wrote: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Cover it with garum to hide the spoilage?
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11755 posts
1610 upvotes
There is often a funky cryovac smell with raw proteins. Dry it off with paper towel and then let it sit in the fridge on a rack. I salt it at the time too. It will go away.