Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart Black Friday

Firman P03602 - 4450/3550 Watt Gas Powered Portable Generator - 298

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2021 4:11 pm
14 replies
Jun 11, 2011
505 posts
165 upvotes
Be aware that this is a contruction generator. It's absolutely not suited for taking camping. Also very harsh on sensitive electronics.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
6413 posts
2704 upvotes
Total noob when it comes to generators, but I am always worried about losing power in the winter and the heat going out. Would something like this be suitable for keeping a furnace going?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
game_fanatic wrote: Total noob when it comes to generators, but I am always worried about losing power in the winter and the heat going out. Would something like this be suitable for keeping a furnace going?
It would but if you have an inverter type generator instead you can also plug in your fridge, lamps, TV, computers etc (buy extension cords and run a mock blackout).
You also need to make the furnace wire a plug which is a cheap DIY:

Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
4713 posts
6304 upvotes
Prince George
game_fanatic wrote: Total noob when it comes to generators, but I am always worried about losing power in the winter and the heat going out. Would something like this be suitable for keeping a furnace going?
This generator is 120 volts only, so it would work *if* your furnace is 120 volts and plugs in with a regular plug of some sort. If the furnace is hard wired, then you'd need some electrical work.

It would work fine for temporary use for fridges / freezers. (Cue all the comments about THD in 3... 2... 1... )
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
Inverter generators are getting cheap now, just buy a 4000 watt inverter for like 400$ and go with that. These regular ones are super loud.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
2139 posts
2551 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
BatmanDeals wrote: Inverter generators are getting cheap now, just buy a 4000 watt inverter for like 400$ and go with that. These regular ones are super loud.
Any recommendations? I'm seeing prices that are least double what you've mentioned for 3000-4000W inverter generators at Home Depot.
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
tvisforme wrote:
Any recommendations? I'm seeing prices that are least double what you've mentioned for 3000-4000W inverter generators at Home Depot.
Sorry my pricing is a bit off.

There was a firman 3200watt inverter for 600$
costco-firman-3-300w-gas-powered-invert ... 1-2465508/

Firman is a Chinese company that provides 3 year warranty. Which is comparable to Honda and yamaha.

3200 watt is bit low for home use I'd recommend going with 4000 watts plus. Because it's better to run these generators at half load for longer life.

The pricing is definitely going down though I paid 1300$ for a 2000 watts yamaha a few years back. Which eventually died and was replaced by a 2100 watt firman.

If you end up getting one remember to expel all gas from the carburetor when you store them for more then 7 days or else the carburetor will gunk up and destroy the part. There is a drain screw thing in the back that you'll need to turn to get rid of ALL the gas for storage. Just checknthe manual.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
BatmanDeals wrote: Sorry my pricing is a bit off.

There was a firman 3200watt inverter for 600$
costco-firman-3-300w-gas-powered-invert ... 1-2465508/

Firman is a Chinese company that provides 3 year warranty. Which is comparable to Honda and yamaha.

3200 watt is bit low for home use I'd recommend going with 4000 watts plus. Because it's better to run these generators at half load for longer life.

The pricing is definitely going down though I paid 1300$ for a 2000 watts yamaha a few years back. Which eventually died and was replaced by a 2100 watt firman.

If you end up getting one remember to expel all gas from the carburetor when you store them for more then 7 days or else the carburetor will gunk up and destroy the part. There is a drain screw thing in the back that you'll need to turn to get rid of ALL the gas for storage. Just checknthe manual.
I'm curious what died on your Yamaha generator? Seems like generators always die because the engine poops the bed, which seems basically impossible with a Yamaha engine.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
The circuit board had water damage, it was my fault.

I was using generator in hard rain, then i stored the generator with wet extension cables in a rubber container and closed the lid. Obviously the container became very humid, and moisture damaged the circuit board.

The yamaha was quite the tank, I had thousands of hours on it in all sorts of weather and abuse, so eventually I became careless and broke it.

I think if I didn't close the lid it would have survived.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1196 posts
1258 upvotes
BatmanDeals wrote: Inverter generators are getting cheap now, just buy a 4000 watt inverter for like 400$ and go with that. These regular ones are super loud.
You can buy maybe a 2000 watt Inverter for $400, but sorry, no way you're getting a 4000 for that, even with some off-Chinese brand.
I've looked recently.

I think cheapest one I've seen was one at Home Hardware for ~400? .. others similar on a very good deal. 2000 watt.

EDIT: Agreed, you seem to have it right in your other posts there/closer.

Not sure a Firman can be comparable to a Yamaha or Honda though. And yes, the Honda/Yamaha will cost much more.. but their legendary engines stand the test of time. I don't think Firman's been around long enough to stand the test of anything. Despite their warranties.. How likely is a warranty and service claim going to accepted be on a Chinese companies product?
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1196 posts
1258 upvotes
.. Not sure why Costco is stocking and selling these things..

I suppose BBB is worst-case scenarios/experiences but a common complaint seems to be catastrophic flywheel failure, and ejection of aluminum parts into the air.

Just another Chinese dagger (literally) into the West's chest.... Suck us into the 'lifestyle' with their cheap goods.... Continue to flogg us like the crack-addicts we are.
"Flywheel/cooling fan between the engine and the alternator shattered causing a potentially catastrophic failure of the equipment and metal pieces to be ejected out of the machine through a metal vent piece......"
Sep 5, 2019
274 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DasHip wrote: .. Not sure why Costco is stocking and selling these things..

I suppose BBB is worst-case scenarios/experiences but a common complaint seems to be catastrophic flywheel failure, and ejection of aluminum parts into the air.

Just another Chinese dagger (literally) into the West's chest.... Suck us into the 'lifestyle' with their cheap goods.... Continue to flogg us like the crack-addicts we are.
"Flywheel/cooling fan between the engine and the alternator shattered causing a potentially catastrophic failure of the equipment and metal pieces to be ejected out of the machine through a metal vent piece......"
Ugh... Not worth it then.
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
DasHip wrote: You can buy maybe a 2000 watt Inverter for $400, but sorry, no way you're getting a 4000 for that, even with some off-Chinese brand.
I've looked recently.

I think cheapest one I've seen was one at Home Hardware for ~400? .. others similar on a very good deal. 2000 watt.

EDIT: Agreed, you seem to have it right in your other posts there/closer.

Not sure a Firman can be comparable to a Yamaha or Honda though. And yes, the Honda/Yamaha will cost much more.. but their legendary engines stand the test of time. I don't think Firman's been around long enough to stand the test of anything. Despite their warranties.. How likely is a warranty and service claim going to accepted be on a Chinese companies product?
That's true but so far the Firman is working fine and I'm happy with the purchase. I'm just providing an alternative choice from my personal experience.