Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Free Chipits using SCOP (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 1:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1015 posts
243 upvotes
Ottawa

[Walmart] Free Chipits using SCOP (YMMV)

The Walmart flyer has Hershey Chipits at $2.67, however the online price as well as in-store price in my area (Ottawa) is $3.57. Use SCOP to get the first bag/sku free. Can quickly verify the prices near you using StockTrack

https://www.reebee.com/flyers/10179/138 ... 97&page=11

https://stocktrack.ca/?s=wm&upc=5660090209
Last edited by Jenny1975 on Nov 6th, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
57 replies
Sep 24, 2019
61 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
What do you say to cashier to claim SCOP?

I’ve only done it once before and the cashier at Shoppers gave me a hard time so I haven’t since then (now just ask to have the product removed or if it’s a small difference, I just pay Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat)
Sep 21, 2008
548 posts
651 upvotes
The Walmart SCOP policy explicitly states you need to do the following:

#1. Take your shirt off
#2. Climb up on the Cashier's checkout counter
#3. Yell "YOU BEEN SCOP'ED"

All staff are trained to recognize this and they'll refund you the full amount (up to $10) on the first item.

None4gretchen wrote: What do you say to cashier to claim SCOP?

I’ve only done it once before and the cashier at Shoppers gave me a hard time so I haven’t since then (now just ask to have the product removed or if it’s a small difference, I just pay Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat)
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12518 posts
21032 upvotes
I usually wear my MAGA cap do my best Karen
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2947 posts
1118 upvotes
Lethbridge
Man I hated SCOP during my Home Depot days. Good idea in theory, but terrible in practice.

It only actually applied like 5% of the time and would hold up the lines while you tried to call for a non-existent department manager to verify. Then almost always it was someone that read the stickers wrong or some other customer had stuck back on the shelf in the wrong place...

If anyone is going to attempt this, save everyone some time and take a quick picture of the shelf price tag with SKU/UPC please.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1015 posts
243 upvotes
Ottawa
Pauly Boy wrote: Man I hated SCOP during my Home Depot days. Good idea in theory, but terrible in practice.

It only actually applied like 5% of the time and would hold up the lines while you tried to call for a non-existent department manager to verify. Then almost always it was someone that read the stickers wrong or some other customer had stuck back on the shelf in the wrong place...

If anyone is going to attempt this, save everyone some time and take a quick picture of the shelf price tag with SKU/UPC please.
The shelf price is wrong at $3.57. You need to show the flyer price.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2606 posts
5110 upvotes
Depending on how busy it is in the store they usually fix the prices on shelves within half an hour of the first person who brings up SCOP.
System changes of course take a bit longer.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1555 posts
841 upvotes
Vancouver
It's either:
  • a flyer (printing) error, in which case, they will post signs in the store / entrance about it and SCOP no longer applies.
  • or someone didn't update the price correctly in the POS, in which case, this will be "a deal" until they fix it.
Max value of this deal is $2.67 per person / transaction. That's the most you'll get free (1 item).
Oct 18, 2020
106 posts
125 upvotes
None4gretchen wrote:
Yup, the one time I tried it at Shoppers they outright refused. Never had a problem doing it anywhere else.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1555 posts
841 upvotes
Vancouver
FlazhDealz wrote: Yup, the one time I tried it at Shoppers they outright refused. Never had a problem doing it anywhere else.
When SCOP first came out, nearly every cashier knew about and was trained about it. Years later and lots of staff turnover, it seems many staff don't know or pretend not to know lol.

Bit of a tip when you're asking the cashier. Start with "Do you know about SCOP?" instead of "I get this item for free because the price is wrong."
Last edited by shamans on Nov 6th, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2020
34 posts
6 upvotes
buriboi wrote: The Walmart SCOP policy explicitly states you need to do the following:

#1. Take your shirt off
#2. Climb up on the Cashier's checkout counter
#3. Yell "YOU BEEN SCOP'ED"

All staff are trained to recognize this and they'll refund you the full amount (up to $10) on the first item.
Haha, what do you really say?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1015 posts
243 upvotes
Ottawa
redqueenie wrote: Haha, what do you really say?
You show them the flyer and the first item/sku should be free as the value it under $10. If you buy more than one of the same item/sku, you should be charged the sale price of $2.67.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2822 posts
12169 upvotes
Was it marked $2.67 or $3.57 on the shelf.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1015 posts
243 upvotes
Ottawa
hill15 wrote: Was it marked $2.67 or $3.57 on the shelf.
As previously mentioned, the shelf prices were wrong at $3.57. Stocktrack also shows $3.57 at all the locations near me.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
4132 posts
2841 upvotes
Don't bother with the cashier and holding up the line while they do a price check. Just take your receipt to customer service after and explain. Never had an issue getting SCOP refund.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
2822 posts
12169 upvotes
Jenny1975 wrote: As previously mentioned, the shelf prices were wrong at $3.57. Stocktrack also shows $3.57 at all the locations near me.
I could be wrong but if the shelf price is $2.67 and it scans at $3.57 than you get if free.

What is the Scanning Code of Practice? (SCOP) A little secret that a lot of shoppers do not know about is something called “SCOP”. If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price, or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free up to a $10 maximum
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1549 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto
johnnyblayze wrote: Don't bother with the cashier and holding up the line while they do a price check. Just take your receipt to customer service after and explain.
Excellent suggestion
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1015 posts
243 upvotes
Ottawa
hill15 wrote: I could be wrong but if the shelf price is $2.67 and it scans at $3.57 than you get if free.

What is the Scanning Code of Practice? (SCOP) A little secret that a lot of shoppers do not know about is something called “SCOP”. If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price, or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free up to a $10 maximum
Yes, that is the point of this thread lol. I purchased two different types of Chipits (different SKUs) and they were both free. To be clear, the shelf price was $3.57 and it scanned at $3.57. You need to show the flyer, which is $2.67.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2967 posts
2892 upvotes
GTA
It doesn't matter what the shelf price says as long as the item scans at the sale price in which case SCOP won't apply. In this case it looks like the scanned price will be more than the flyer price.
Last edited by tew on Nov 6th, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 9, 2013
52 posts
42 upvotes
Victoria
As part of the SCOP conditions, participating retailers (listed here) are supposed to have the printout listing SCOP rules posted at each checkout. Although a few stores don’t comply, most should have it on the counter, so you can point the cashier to it if they are unfamiliar.