Hot Deals

[Walmart] Gallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1L $3.97 (Thurs-Wed)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 3:32 pm
[OP]
Sep 10, 2018
89 posts
382 upvotes

[Walmart] Gallo Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1L $3.97 (Thurs-Wed)

Cheapest EVOO ever has returned. This time it is country wide from BC to Atlantic.

This is my go to cooking oil. For salads you can use better oil from Costco. This is cheaper than Costco sale prices, however I bet Costco oil has more flavor if used for cold items.
74 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2092 posts
1061 upvotes
Vancouver
I buy whole skid half for cooking half for kung fu
Thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1806 posts
876 upvotes
Cheapest EVOO? Fakest EVOO is more like it
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
Shows as $7.97 for me here in Alberta. I bought 2 boxes when No Frills had this on sale. Good enough for everyday cooking and better than veggie/canola. But not for deep frying.
Sep 8, 2011
140 posts
87 upvotes
Quebec
BenzDude11 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:38 pm
Shows as $7.97 for me here in Alberta. I bought 2 boxes when No Frills had this on sale. Good enough for everyday cooking and better than veggie/canola. But not for deep frying.
Hi, newbie at deep frying here, which oil would you recommend ? thanks
[OP]
Sep 10, 2018
89 posts
382 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:35 pm
Got a proof on that or are you blowing hot air? I'm not favoring Unico, I just like prices of sale item and cross shop with Costco.

Yeah I am aware of previous reports on percentage of fake oil in the market. Whether you can make claim on this particular brand of oil is questionable is what I'm saying. Judging by your standards, 90% of items Costco sells must be a fake.
Aug 29, 2018
318 posts
247 upvotes
Claudios wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:41 pm
Cheapest oil to buy to deep fry, vegetable/canola oil. You can probably fry with this Gallo oil but olive oil has a low smoke point so you will end up burning the oil at some point and tons of smoke. But it can be done.
Sep 3, 2016
4 posts
4 upvotes
Corn oil, vegetable oil, all good .
Coconut oil but your food will have a coconut oil flavour.
No to Olive oil .
[OP]
Sep 10, 2018
89 posts
382 upvotes
BenzDude11 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:38 pm
Thurs-Wed. Previous lowest price was $5 a bottle at other retailers. Was $4 for west only last year at this time at Walmart.

People asking about deep frying on EVOO deal: just use Canola and replace it every frying session. If canola is too much, you can use "vegetable" oil for less money.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2896 posts
1463 upvotes
Calgary
Claudios wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:41 pm
if one doesnt buy into what's said/reported about processed refined oils, then the 4L Rimini brand at canola oil from costco is well priced & works well.

if one buys into the health aspects, then ditch anything that says refined &or processed. EVOO is great eaten raw but has a very low smoke point so not good for cooking although IMO it works fine for light sauteing. Personally I use mostly ghee for cooking. It's (mostly) natural & imparts a very nice taste foods for my taste. cons are its expensive & is mostly solid so not as convenient as anything in a bottle.
Jun 10, 2016
43 posts
49 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 4:35 pm
Dear Mr. Expert on EVOO,

This is quite the interesting analysis. Can you please provide more insight into the rankings of popular/common EVOOs sold in grocery stores , and also a reputable source of such information? Greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

An intrigued consumer.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1806 posts
876 upvotes
Pinetrees wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 5:34 pm
Dear Mr. Expert on EVOO,

This is quite the interesting analysis. Can you please provide more insight into the rankings of popular/common EVOOs sold in grocery stores , and also a reputable source of such information? Greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

An intrigued consumer.
Why don’t you spend 5 minutes on your search engine of choice and do some of your own research? I’ll continue with my one liners thank you very much.
Jun 10, 2016
43 posts
49 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote:
Oct 9th, 2019 7:03 pm
Why don’t you spend 5 minutes on your search engine of choice and do some of your own research? I’ll continue with my one liners thank you very much.
Not sure what you mean by "fake olive oil". If you're simply borrowing the term from news sources, keep in mind that news sources often exaggerate findings in research, are limited in scope, and are often biased to their internal agendas of appealing to wide audiences. In this case, such a shocking headline of "fake olive oil" is no more than simply that EVOO is diluted with olive oil. And some sources even say - most people can't taste the difference when diluted... similar to wines.

Gallo, on Walmart's website, is described as a mix of EVOO and olive oil... And unless you're drinking olive oil raw for breakfast and never cook with it, I don't see why 90% of the RDF population- who are on here to be frugal, mind you- could justify spending $15+/L of pure EVOO.

But yes, if you want to regurgitate media by calling a mixed olive oil is "fake", go right ahead.