[Walmart] Google Chromecast Ultra $45 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 3:15 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2265 posts
1066 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
At that price point, you're better off paying an extra $25 for the Chromecast with Google TV. Way more functionality, better performance and you can sideload apps (think of the Google Nexus Player, but better). In comparison vids, it performs even better than the Amazon Firestick 4K.

https://store.google.com/ca/product/chr ... _google_tv

Vancouver Spotify Premium Family Plan Available! $36/year! 1 Spot Left! PM for details!
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12044 posts
19243 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: They're going for $80 to $120 on Kijiji. I bought 7 when they went on sale for $20 when they got cleared out and have them out for Xmas. Everyone loved them and didn't even know what they were before. Wish they would reproduce them again! My old stereo works well in the garage now to cast audio to.
You mean I have a lil fortune in my drawers ?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4143 posts
2133 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: At that price point, you're better off paying an extra $25 for the Chromecast with Google TV. Way more functionality, better performance and you can sideload apps (think of the Google Nexus Player, but better). In comparison vids, it performs even better than the Amazon Firestick 4K.

https://store.google.com/ca/product/chr ... _google_tv

The new Chromecast is waaaaay better than the Ultra.

The Ultra was awful with Stadia. I'm on my 3rd unit, first two overheated and caused wifi connection to constantly drop. 3rd unit is perfectly fine and doesn't run as hot as my first two.

Having a remote is immensely helpful especially if...like the majority of the population...you don't live alone and share the TV. It's much easier to hand someone a remote than your phone, especially if you have guests over.

New Chromecast is missing Stadia support, which blows everyone's mind why couldn't they ship it with Stadia support ahead of every next gen console launch....
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2170 posts
1087 upvotes
GTA
Lush78 wrote: Agreed they are great devices. I also have two, and had to buy the 2nd after being discontinued from an online Canadian cell phone store (can't remember the name) and it came with European power adaptor which was no big deal since it's only micro usb.
aidendanger wrote: They're going for $80 to $120 on Kijiji. I bought 7 when they went on sale for $20 when they got cleared out and have them out for Xmas. Everyone loved them and didn't even know what they were before. Wish they would reproduce them again! My old stereo works well in the garage now to cast audio to.
What was the reason they stopped making em?
Nov 7, 2013
733 posts
501 upvotes
Ottawa
lilmikey wrote: What was the reason they stopped making em?
They said they didn't fit into the new direction and focus of future products.
Jun 23, 2017
250 posts
327 upvotes
Pure speculation, but it may have something to do with the ongoing litigation with Sonos regarding multi-room audio systems. If I remember correctly, they discontinued them right before Sonos sued them.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2170 posts
1087 upvotes
GTA
TFC2007 wrote: Pure speculation, but it may have something to do with the ongoing litigation with Sonos regarding multi-room audio systems. If I remember correctly, they discontinued them right before Sonos sued them.
Well that sucks if true meaning SONOs wants to be the only company that can have this ability and it already costs crazy $$$ for what it does.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3235 posts
3126 upvotes
Alberta
The two answers above are better than I can give you... They were great devices for adding smart audio to legacy devices...
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12079 posts
3253 upvotes
Scarberia
hopefully they carry the new googleTV stick!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2710 posts
665 upvotes
Belle River
bhrm wrote: New Chromecast is missing Stadia support, which blows everyone's mind why couldn't they ship it with Stadia support ahead of every next gen console launch....
What the... I didn't even think that could be an issue I just assumed the new one would support Stadia. Ridiculous.
Nov 8, 2003
323 posts
264 upvotes
If you're already paying for NetFlix anyways, it's an even better deal to get the new Chromecast with Google TV from the Google Store w/ the NetFlix promo for $119.99. You're basically get the new Chromecast for ~$45 + tax after you apply the credit to your Netflix account.

From another thread:
Here's a discount calculation of the Netflix bundle:

6 months of Netflix HD: $13.99 x 6 = $83.94

Chromecast regular price + ON tax: $69.99*1.13 = $79.08
Chromecast reg price + 6 mo Netflix = $79.08 + $83.94 = $163.02

Chromecast + 6 mo Netflix Promo + ON tax = $119.99 *1.13 = $135.58

Discount incl tax: $163.02 - $135.58 = $27.43 in savings

Chromecast promo price with tax: $79.08 - $27.43 = $51.65
Chromecast promo price without tax: $51.65/1.13 = $45.07

So if you are a Netflix subscriber, you can the new Chromecast for $45 + tax
From Google terms: Available to new and existing Netflix subscribers

Also, Google TV is just them rebranding the 'Android TV' platform (like found on the Nvidia Shield or MiBox).
Last edited by Scribblez on Oct 18th, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 19, 2009
238 posts
69 upvotes
If Stadia isn't needed, Chromecast with google TV Netflix bundle is a killer deal for Netflix users. With the 6 month free standard subscription ($14/monthx6=$84), the unit is only 36 dollars.
Jun 24, 2013
145 posts
178 upvotes
ApocDeals wrote: +1 for the contribution! Thanks for sharing!

This isn’t bad for the hardware and for the majority of people who already use a chromecast and don’t want yet another remote and could care less about all the apps.

My dad loves his for sending YouTube videos from his phone to the TV. He doesn’t need any more complications. I’ll definitely get this if I see it.
If you already subscribe to Netflix, preparing the 6 months (or equivalent value on a higher priced plan), the bundle from the Google Store is still a better deal.

As far as I know, you can still use the new one as a regular Chromecast, it just has more options with the remote and Google TV.

When I get it, I would imagine I'll still do a bit of casting (or all casting when the kids let the dogs out and they eat the remote!) but when I get home and either need to charge or just unplug from my phone from a bit it'll be nice to not have to go get it to cast stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
3687 posts
1224 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Good to know as I have 1 sitting in a drawer that only ever saw maybe an hour of use in its life. I could certainly turn the cash from in to something much more useful. Thanks for the tip!