Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Google Chromecast Ultra $45 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 3:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
hystavito wrote: What the... I didn't even think that could be an issue I just assumed the new one would support Stadia. Ridiculous.
It does with a bit of effort and sideloading
Jun 23, 2017
540 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
kuchunwah wrote: I don't think you can group CC audio with reg CC, at least I couldn't.

The thing with reg CC is, I get ads when I cast from YouTube music. No ads with CC audio, but it won't cast music that you didn't upload.
Of course you can, just not with first gen Chromecast.

Create and manage speaker groups
Group any combination of Google Nest or Google Home speakers and displays and Chromecast devices together for synchronous music throughout the home. Your favorite music and audio from Chromecast-enabled apps are instantly available to stream.

Compatible devices include speakers and displays (Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio, and Google Nest displays), Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, and Chromecast Audio.

Note: This feature is not supported on Chromecast (1st gen).

https://support.google.com/googlenest/a ... rm=Android
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2018
1610 posts
943 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: Good to know as I have 1 sitting in a drawer that only ever saw maybe an hour of use in its life. I could certainly turn the cash from in to something much more useful. Thanks for the tip!
Should have saved mine from a couple years ago. I threw them in the garbage since they are crap.
Jun 23, 2017
540 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
hystavito wrote: What the... I didn't even think that could be an issue I just assumed the new one would support Stadia. Ridiculous.
The naming is confusing, the new Chromecast with Google TV, is not really a Chromecast, as it runs on an updated version of Android TV - like Nvidia Shield, MIBox, Sony & HiSense TV's and more. It does have built-in Chromecast functionality on top of Android TV, but it's a lot more complex than a regular Chromecast which is more like a stripped down Chrome browser.

So Google needed more time to integrate Stadia support. They did announce it for Spring 2021.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
redkulat wrote: I got mine the other day and I'm really happy with it. It runs the TiVi Mate IPTV app natively and is so smooth.

I sideloaded Zini Tevi as well, the remote is pretty sweet too similar to the Fire stick bit I think better in some ways like using voice to type long URLS.

The only thing I can't figure out is why my 4k HDMI input is still seeing the dongle as 1080p.
Can the Kodi app be installed from Google Play on your Chromecast with Google TV?
My Nexus Player does not have any more update.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
4150 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto
TFC2007 wrote: You can use a regular Chromecast (gen 2 and up) with an HDMI audio extractor, it will give you the same functionality as the Chromecast audio, including casting and the ability to add it to speakers groups.

https://www.amazon.ca/Extractor-Toslink ... 061&sr=8-9

Or, you could also just plug the Chromecast into the TV/receiver, then plug your speaker into the audio out jack (headphones jack).
This is what I do with my CC to connect it to my old home stereo receiver.
However, I've had two of those little plastic extractor boxes die on me in less than a year. I'm thinking its not built to be plugged in and powered 24/7, which is how I had mine running.
What I didn't think about until it was too late was to plug it into the the AC outlet at the back of my receiver so it just powers up/down with the receiver.
I bought the slightly bigger model with an aluminum casing, and barrel type power jack (intstead of mini-usb), and plugged in to the receiver's AC outlet. Been using it since April, hopefully it will last longer than the previous ones.
https://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Extractor-S ... 07CG4S1T5/
Last edited by Fightguard on Oct 18th, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
embguy wrote: Can the Kodi app be installed from Google Play on your Chromecast with Google TV?
My Nexus Player does not have any more update.
It can, havent tried it yet but also games work!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2323 posts
2844 upvotes
Ottawa
Artwebb1986 wrote: Should have saved mine from a couple years ago. I threw them in the garbage since they are crap.
How exactly are they crap? They do precisely what they advertise they do. And were $20.
Aug 28, 2019
129 posts
340 upvotes
Winnipeg
lilmikey wrote: What was the reason they stopped making em?
Only one word is necessary: Google.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do" -Oscar Gamble (1949-2018)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1546 posts
1439 upvotes
ConnorsCompShow wrote: Only one word is necessary: Google.
I mean, i hate how Google discontinues a lot of stuff but there were legitimate answers given before your comment.

Plus, they most likely replaced it trying to sell their Google/Nest Home speaker devices
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
TFC2007 wrote: You can use a regular Chromecast (gen 2 and up) with an HDMI audio extractor, it will give you the same functionality as the Chromecast audio, including casting and the ability to add it to speakers groups.

Or, you could also just plug the Chromecast into the TV/receiver, then plug your speaker into the audio out jack (headphones jack).
Thank you. Very helpful.

For the time being, I ended up using my Echo Dot and use RCA 3.5mm cables. Wanted to remove the burden of bluetooth for my Spotify. (Although, I doubt it makes a big difference given streaming audio)
Feb 22, 2018
522 posts
908 upvotes
gta
SindbadRFD wrote: Just curious, at this point of time, won't it be better to get the new version (with Android TV) for a little more cost ?
New one requires extra power tho
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2015
1500 posts
2329 upvotes
Honestly just spend more and get the latest version that has rebranded the OS as Google TV. Plus you'll get a remote which is really handy. The goal with these should be to future proof as much as possible due to planned obsolescence etc. If you have an older tv, better to buy the latest Fire stick or chromecast so when you spend money you can guarantee longer life and better capabilities.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2018
1610 posts
943 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: How exactly are they crap? They do precisely what they advertise they do. And were $20.
Sure wasn't $20.

Crap since they weren't standalone. If I needed something else to control it I might as well get a proper device.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2323 posts
2844 upvotes
Ottawa
Artwebb1986 wrote: Sure wasn't $20.

Crap since they weren't standalone. If I needed something else to control it I might as well get a proper device.

So you not understanding the product makes it crap? Got ya.
Its sole purpose is to cast using another device. Have you found that standalone product since? I can't even fathom what that would be.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9103 posts
4569 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
aidendanger wrote: No. I bought a $1500 patio set from a 3rd party on Walmart's website. It wasn't near as advertised. The seller were dicks and wouldn't take it back and I had to get Walmart to "help". They were just as useless. Never ever will I buy from Walmart again. It took weeks to get them to take it back and give us our money.
I don't understand what Best Buy/Newegg/Walmart are thinking when they are copying Amazon on that. They pretty much took the worst aspect of Amazon and double down on it.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2018
1610 posts
943 upvotes
aidendanger wrote: So you not understanding the product makes it crap? Got ya.
Its sole purpose is to cast using another device. Have you found that standalone product since? I can't even fathom what that would be.
Totally understood it. It's garbage which is why there is 2 ultras in the landfill.

Found that product what 2 years ago now. A firestick 4k is a better all around device and is standalone.

Even my odroid c2, N2, n2+ are way way better devices.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
2323 posts
2844 upvotes
Ottawa
Artwebb1986 wrote: Totally understood it. It's garbage which is why there is 2 ultras in the landfill.

Found that product what 2 years ago now. A firestick 4k is a better all around device and is standalone.

Even my odroid c2, N2, n2+ are way way better devices.

LoL. You replied to a comment regarding Google Audio. Face With Rolling Eyes

ChicoQuente wrote: ↑
Good to know as I have 1 sitting in a drawer that only ever saw maybe an hour of use in its life. I could certainly turn the cash from in to something much more useful. Thanks for the tip!
Should have saved mine from a couple years ago. I threw them in the garbage since they are crap.

But again, even the Chromecast Ultra was never advertised as stand alone so do any research whatsoever before buying something you have zero clue about and adding to landfills needlessly. Any schools would have gladly taken them from you for free or anyone on Kijiji. Who in their right mind throws out perfectly good devices simply because they couldn't understand how to use them?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
TFC2007 wrote:
You can use a regular Chromecast (gen 2 and up) with an HDMI audio extractor, it will give you the same functionality as the Chromecast audio, including casting and the ability to add it to speakers groups.

That's the problem, need to buy a more expensive CC and another device to do what the cheaper audio did.
Artwebb1986 wrote:
Google audios where cheap and easy to use so no clue wtf ya mean.

Artwebb1986 wrote:
Sure wasn't $20.

aidendanger wrote:

So you not understanding the product makes it crap? Got ya.
I don't think he is talking about the audio at this point?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2551 posts
1071 upvotes
Ontario
What are some good features of google tv/android tv? I've been out of it, but I last was on kodi and discovered it was able to do watch tvshows/movies free and cbc live free. I've sense stopped cecking out kodi since some addons died off/got choppy.

Whats the latest think people are doing? Chromecast 3rd gen has only been used to play youtube/netflix/spotify on TV. Trying to see if this is worth it.

I don't download movies/tv shows which i think is useful for plex.