[Walmart] Google Chromecast Ultra $45 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2020 3:15 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21118 posts
23314 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote: Anyone see any Chromecast Audios around?
Sadly long gone. Was wild when they were just $10 at the CNE In Toronto last year

chromecast-audio-cne-ex-gta-10-2307854/
Things changed now that I’m a father, I can’t live my life a quarter mile at a time anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3406 posts
2190 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: At that price point, you're better off paying an extra $25 for the Chromecast with Google TV. Way more functionality, better performance and you can sideload apps (think of the Google Nexus Player, but better). In comparison vids, it performs even better than the Amazon Firestick 4K.

https://store.google.com/ca/product/chr ... _google_tv

I got mine the other day and I'm really happy with it. It runs the TiVi Mate IPTV app natively and is so smooth.

I sideloaded Zini Tevi as well, the remote is pretty sweet too similar to the Fire stick bit I think better in some ways like using voice to type long URLS.

The only thing I can't figure out is why my 4k HDMI input is still seeing the dongle as 1080p.
Jun 23, 2017
250 posts
327 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Anyone see any Chromecast Audios around?
You can use a regular Chromecast (gen 2 and up) with an HDMI audio extractor, it will give you the same functionality as the Chromecast audio, including casting and the ability to add it to speakers groups.

https://www.amazon.ca/Extractor-Toslink ... 061&sr=8-9

Or, you could also just plug the Chromecast into the TV/receiver, then plug your speaker into the audio out jack (headphones jack).
Aug 6, 2006
75 posts
11 upvotes
Concord
66xx66 wrote: That's not from Walmart. It's a 3rd party seller
Yes I noticed that too - but doesn't walmart stand behind it, I mean it is on their website, whats't the difference? Honestly I dont know hence asking. .
Nov 7, 2013
733 posts
501 upvotes
Ottawa
musketeer wrote: Yes I noticed that too - but doesn't walmart stand behind it, I mean it is on their website, whats't the difference? Honestly I dont know hence asking. .

No. I bought a $1500 patio set from a 3rd party on Walmart's website. It wasn't near as advertised. The seller were dicks and wouldn't take it back and I had to get Walmart to "help". They were just as useless. Never ever will I buy from Walmart again. It took weeks to get them to take it back and give us our money.
Dec 7, 2007
37 posts
29 upvotes
TFC2007 wrote: You can use a regular Chromecast (gen 2 and up) with an HDMI audio extractor, it will give you the same functionality as the Chromecast audio, including casting and the ability to add it to speakers groups.

https://www.amazon.ca/Extractor-Toslink ... 061&sr=8-9

Or, you could also just plug the Chromecast into the TV/receiver, then plug your speaker into the audio out jack (headphones jack).
I don't think you can group CC audio with reg CC, at least I couldn't.

The thing with reg CC is, I get ads when I cast from YouTube music. No ads with CC audio, but it won't cast music that you didn't upload.
Aug 6, 2006
75 posts
11 upvotes
Concord
aidendanger wrote: No. I bought a $1500 patio set from a 3rd party on Walmart's website. It wasn't near as advertised. The seller were dicks and wouldn't take it back and I had to get Walmart to "help". They were just as useless. Never ever will I buy from Walmart again. It took weeks to get them to take it back and give us our money.
okay thanks for the great tip! i'll keep that in mind.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4143 posts
2133 upvotes
hystavito wrote: What the... I didn't even think that could be an issue I just assumed the new one would support Stadia. Ridiculous.
It does with a bit of effort and sideloading
Jun 20, 2020
136 posts
113 upvotes
musketeer wrote: Yes I noticed that too - but doesn't walmart stand behind it, I mean it is on their website, whats't the difference? Honestly I dont know hence asking. .
Yes, there is a difference.

Walmart does not ship Third Party items. Third Party Sellers will ship their items and will also take care of any customer service inquiries regarding their items.

Need to contact the Third Party Seller directly for any questions relating to:
  • Cancelling the item(s)
  • Returning the item(s) (unless item is eligible for an in store return)
  • Shipping/tracking issues with the item(s)
  • Requesting a receipt for the item(s)

from https://www.walmart.ca/en/help/third-party-seller
Jun 23, 2017
250 posts
327 upvotes
kuchunwah wrote: I don't think you can group CC audio with reg CC, at least I couldn't.

The thing with reg CC is, I get ads when I cast from YouTube music. No ads with CC audio, but it won't cast music that you didn't upload.
Of course you can, just not with first gen Chromecast.

Create and manage speaker groups
Group any combination of Google Nest or Google Home speakers and displays and Chromecast devices together for synchronous music throughout the home. Your favorite music and audio from Chromecast-enabled apps are instantly available to stream.

Compatible devices include speakers and displays (Google Home, Google Nest Mini (2nd gen), Google Home Mini (1st gen), Google Home Max, Google Nest Audio, and Google Nest displays), Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, and Chromecast Audio.

Note: This feature is not supported on Chromecast (1st gen).

https://support.google.com/googlenest/a ... rm=Android
Jun 15, 2018
917 posts
400 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: Good to know as I have 1 sitting in a drawer that only ever saw maybe an hour of use in its life. I could certainly turn the cash from in to something much more useful. Thanks for the tip!
Should have saved mine from a couple years ago. I threw them in the garbage since they are crap.