• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2021 1:40 pm
[OP]
Apr 30, 2014
183 posts
110 upvotes
Kingston, ON

[Walmart] Google Nest Hello WiFi Video Doorbell - $219 YMMV

I was looking for the Nest video doorbell. It's sold for $299 in the google store, homedepot, and best buy. However, found the same at the local Walmart for $219 at Kingston location, YMMV. Still had a few more boxes left when I picked up last night.
Nest doorbell 1.JPG
Nest doorbell 2.JPG
Thread Summary
Looking for more options? RFD Reviews has a list of the best doorbell cameras!
73 replies
Feb 20, 2019
240 posts
87 upvotes
Do we need to pay for cloud storage or can we store locally on a memory card.
Nov 11, 2012
222 posts
227 upvotes
This is the Gen 1 version that has already been replaced. The new version is $239 at the Google store and everywhere else. Most stores have been clearing out the old versions for $219, there was a thread for costco a few days ago.
Sep 8, 2007
281 posts
211 upvotes
shroud27 wrote: This is the Gen 1 version that has already been replaced. The new version is $239 at the Google store and everywhere else. Most stores have been clearing out the old versions for $219, there was a thread for costco a few days ago.
Not replaced, complemented I think. Nest themselves still selling "Gen1" as "Nest Doorbell (wired)" and new one as "Nest Doorbell (battery)". Camera on wired one is way better.
mapleleaf6 wrote: Do we need to pay for cloud storage or can we store locally on a memory card.
There's free and paid cloud solutions (Nest Aware/Nest Aware Plus). Free ones are pretty lacking but I use it. No local storage.
Some locations @ $99! Very tempted!!!!
Aug 23, 2017
223 posts
180 upvotes
SonicSam wrote:
There's free and paid cloud solutions (Nest Aware/Nest Aware Plus). Free ones are pretty lacking but I use it. No local storage.
Even Nest Aware is paid. The difference is in monthly fee. $8 Vs $16
Sep 8, 2007
281 posts
211 upvotes
kgvaughan wrote: Even Nest Aware is paid. The difference is in monthly fee. $8 Vs $16
Poor wording on my part!

Free is very barebones but what I use.
Nest Aware is paid.
Nest Aware Plus is paid.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1132 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
SonicSam wrote: Poor wording on my part!

Free is very barebones but what I use.
Nest Aware is paid.
Nest Aware Plus is paid.
I just got the battery version (gen 2) - which is $239.99 and used a staples discount to get to $219.99. It's amazing since our house could not support wires.

It is not worse than the gen1 it is different. Gen 1 had a different camera system that can be used 24/7 but did all processing thorugh cloud - to save battery gen 2 uses on-device processing and a three hour save window (unless you pay for nest aware).

Since there is non-cloud processing Nest/Google gives a lot more 'free' features than the gen 1. So if you aren't willing to pay for nest aware or you can't have wiress go with the gen 2 (battery). if you have wires or are paying for nest aware - gen 1 is actually more powerful.
Jul 23, 2013
264 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thanks OP. Got one for 99 at my local Walmart.

I wanted the Wyze Doorbell since i have multiple Wyzecam V2's and V3's but the reviews are disappointing.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3797 posts
1048 upvotes
Calgary
Got it for $99 in Edmonton.
Dec 2, 2018
11 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver
Got one at the Poco Walmart for $99. When I left there was one remaining.
Oct 14, 2018
82 posts
140 upvotes
Just went to Winston Churchill and Argentia in Mississauga. Stock Track says 3 for $99 they were all gone.

Happy Hunting.
Jan 1, 2014
83 posts
71 upvotes
St Leonard walmart; someone went and picked up all 5 :(
Mar 13, 2012
26 posts
6 upvotes
EDMONTON
Thank you OP
Picked one up locally at the Edmonton Walmart for $99!
Sep 25, 2020
7 posts
3 upvotes
Lord Denning wrote: I just got the battery version (gen 2) - which is $239.99 and used a staples discount to get to $219.99. It's amazing since our house could not support wires.

It is not worse than the gen1 it is different. Gen 1 had a different camera system that can be used 24/7 but did all processing thorugh cloud - to save battery gen 2 uses on-device processing and a three hour save window (unless you pay for nest aware).

Since there is non-cloud processing Nest/Google gives a lot more 'free' features than the gen 1. So if you aren't willing to pay for nest aware or you can't have wiress go with the gen 2 (battery). if you have wires or are paying for nest aware - gen 1 is actually more powerful.
Would you say it's still worth it to get the nest doorbell (battery) without subscription? Or am I better off getting a no sub doorbell (e.g. Eufy)?

Recently got gifted a google nest hub and deciding which doorbell to pair with it. Definitely like the reliability of google products but I feel like I will have no use for the features that Nest Aware provides...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2003
1132 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
CrazyCrazyDeal wrote: Would you say it's still worth it to get the nest doorbell (battery) without subscription? Or am I better off getting a no sub doorbell (e.g. Eufy)?

Recently got gifted a google nest hub and deciding which doorbell to pair with it. Definitely like the reliability of google products but I feel like I will have no use for the features that Nest Aware provides...
Too early to tell - they give you a free month of the paid service so I haven't been able to test out the free version yet. My understanding is that big differences are storage time (3 hours versus longer and use of the AI). I am sure three hours is good enough.

Even withou the subscription, I would suspect the nest is better than Eufy if you have google nest devices. We have homes in almost every room. I LOVE how it interacts with our google home devices - espeically the smart screens. It works as a doorbell with the video coming up. That should be included as a freeby. Since you have a home hub it's a no-brainer.

The thing that is addictive - and that may lead to me paying for Nest Aware - is the AI feature that annouces who is at the door. I love getting the notifcation on my phone that my wife or kids have gotten home or left the house. On the free version it just says 'person' -