Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1083 posts
605 upvotes
Pickering

[Walmart] Google Pixel 2 XL 0$ on Tab M + 150$ GC [Koodo]

Previous thread that I can recall

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/walmart ... 3-2273559/

(Information below is copied and pasted from the previous thread with slight variations in details)

Google Pixel 2 XL, on Koodo (Didn't get the size, sorry)
$0 on Tab Medium ($360 device balance)
$150 Gift Card (New Activations Only, I'm assuming)
$35 Activation Fee (cannot be waived)
Deal is currently running at Walmart *only* (Again, don't know when it started or when it will finish)
Promo can be pulled at any time, no guaranteed end date
TMS may price match the offer - I believe each chain can see each others' promo pricing from Koodo, YMMV

I saw this at the Walmart Mobile, in Bolton. They also have the Google Pixel 3 for 0$ on Large Tab. But no GC, so I didn't think it'd be thread worthy. Not a bad deal, now that the Phone is close to a year old, the Google Pixel 3A/XL are out in the market, and the Pixel 4 is months away.
I'm going to the convenient store to pick me up a pack of cigarettes...
24 replies
Nov 1, 2018
140 posts
151 upvotes
Got a $100 gift card and the phone was worth.

At $150, take it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1083 posts
605 upvotes
Pickering
Money4Red wrote: How does it compare to 3a XL?
Pixel 3a XL has slightly larger dimensions, and weighs less, no water resistance rating, 1080P max resolution (compared to 2XL's 1440), less pixel density, slower chipset, less storage options, bigger battery, and has a headphone jack, which Pixel 2 XL does not. Let me know if I'm missing anything, anyone.
I'm going to the convenient store to pick me up a pack of cigarettes...
Feb 4, 2019
148 posts
160 upvotes
Richard1986 wrote: Pixel 3a XL has slightly larger dimensions, and weighs less, no water resistance rating, 1080P max resolution (compared to 2XL's 1440), less pixel density, slower chipset, less storage options, bigger battery, and has a headphone jack, which Pixel 2 XL does not. Let me know if I'm missing anything, anyone.
I think you got most of the major hardware differences but there are some small support and software differences.
Pixel 2 XL has a 2 year manufacturer's warranty vs 1 for 3a. P2XL gets original quality backups until January 2021, 3a is high quality compressed backups. P2XL is halfway through its 3 years of guaranteed updates, the 3a is at the beginning. The 3a has Top Shot and super res zoom while the P2XL does not.

Some small hardware differences: the P2XL has two front facing speakers, the 3a has two speakers with one being bottom firing. Corning Gorilla Glass (better) on P2XL with Dragontrail Glass on 3a.

One caveat to add is that the Pixel 2XL has a notoriously maligned display beset by blue colour shifting , black crush, and a general graininess. There is a definite display lottery when it comes to the Pixel 2XL as the graininess and colour shifting varies from phone to phone. From what I've read the 3A display is nearly as good as the Pixel 3 which means it should be better than the Pixel 2XL's. I had a Pixel 2XL and I was mostly fine with the display. The colour shifting wasn't bad but there was a definite graininess - I got used to it and still came to love the phone. Just don't compare it side by side to other phones with good displays because then you'll notice the difference.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4731 posts
1524 upvotes
Debtario
AGTOM83 wrote:
....One caveat to add is that the Pixel 2XL has a notoriously maligned display beset by blue colour shifting , black crush, and a general graininess. There is a definite display lottery when it comes to the Pixel 2XL as the graininess and colour shifting varies from phone to phone. From what I've read the 3A display is nearly as good as the Pixel 3 which means it should be better than the Pixel 2XL's. I had a Pixel 2XL and I was mostly fine with the display. The colour shifting wasn't bad but there was a definite graininess - I got used to it and still came to love the phone. Just don't compare it side by side to other phones with good displays because then you'll notice the difference.
That last part is key and is what steered me away. Thought it was decent until I saw how washed out and blue the screen looked compared to everything else on demo. Unacceptable for what was one time a flagship device to have such a poor display considering you'll be looking at it nearly every time you interact with the phone. The Pixel 3/3XL had superior displays, even the Samsung A8 looked better. The rep tried to justify it and tell me the display was "color accurate"... okay, I don't see any proof of calibration but either way it looked terrible compared to everything, including my ancient Galaxy S2. At $360 or less with GC promos it can be forgiven, but at $800+ no way.

Otherwise It's a solid phone if you can live with that and the lack of headphone jack. Great battery life and snappy performance with stock android and no bloatware. The camera and image processing capabilities are top notch as well. If they ever give it a $350 GC promo like the S8 had last month (to clear stock) it's a no-brainer.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1820 posts
1180 upvotes
Anyone know if this is still going on today?
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Jan 28, 2014
563 posts
187 upvotes
Money4Red wrote: How does it compare to 3a XL?
Even tho the specs say the 3a is weaker I've used my wife's 3a and compared to my 2XL and the 3a actually feels smoother and doesn't get warm when it's doing lots of things at once like setting up a new device.

I'm sure the 3a XL probably has better battery life than the 2 XL too.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
Much much better deal than the budget pixels, by far. People much be kicking themselves.
Jan 28, 2014
563 posts
187 upvotes
WellHung wrote: Much much better deal than the budget pixels, by far. People much be kicking themselves.
I would trade my pixel 2 XL any day for a 3a because of the headphone jack.

There have been handful of situations just this week where I wanted to use a headphone jack and could not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7337 posts
3705 upvotes
Toronto
AGTOM83 wrote: One caveat to add is that the Pixel 2XL has a notoriously maligned display beset by blue colour shifting , black crush, and a general graininess. There is a definite display lottery when it comes to the Pixel 2XL as the graininess and colour shifting varies from phone to phone. From what I've read the 3A display is nearly as good as the Pixel 3 which means it should be better than the Pixel 2XL's. I had a Pixel 2XL and I was mostly fine with the display. The colour shifting wasn't bad but there was a definite graininess - I got used to it and still came to love the phone. Just don't compare it side by side to other phones with good displays because then you'll notice the difference.
This is old information that only applies to 2XL's manufactured in 2017 which should be next to impossible to find at this point unless you purchase used like you did. The models made in 2018 don't have any screen issues. I've compared my 2018 model side by side with a Pixel 3 and Galaxy S9 numerous times and there's no significant difference. The 2018 models look as good if not better than the S9 and almost as good as the Pixel 3 where the only major difference is the Pixel 3 is brighter when both devices are at max brightness.
Last edited by ReeGee on Jun 4th, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1327 posts
173 upvotes
I know a big deal was made about 2xl display and the blue tint. I have been using it for few months and it's not noticeable, unless you are always viewing your phone at a sharp angle.

There's a blue tint in s9 as well. It's just that on 2xl it's visible at a lower angle than Samsung.

If you are looking at your phone straight on (which I believe how people view their phones), then you won't notice the tint. For this price, the phone is best premium phone for the buck.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7337 posts
3705 upvotes
Toronto
fq007 wrote: I know a big deal was made about 2xl display and the blue tint. I have been using it for few months and it's not noticeable, unless you are always viewing your phone at a sharp angle.

There's a blue tint in s9 as well. It's just that on 2xl it's visible at a lower angle than Samsung.

If you are looking at your phone straight on (which I believe how people view their phones), then you won't notice the tint. For this price, the phone is best premiere phone for the buck.
Is your phone from 2017 or 2018? My 2018 2XL has no blue tint even if I tilt it and try to look for it.
Nov 1, 2018
140 posts
151 upvotes
STIGUY wrote: Even tho the specs say the 3a is weaker I've used my wife's 3a and compared to my 2XL and the 3a actually feels smoother and doesn't get warm when it's doing lots of things at once like setting up a new device.

I'm sure the 3a XL probably has better battery life than the 2 XL too.
Well keep in mind it's a phone that's at max probably a month old, I'm not sure how long you've owned your PIxel for. But I do agree - the battery life + headphone jack make the 3a a bit more appealing to the average consumer IMO.

Also getting Super Res Zoom on the 3a without having to get an .apk like on the Pixel 2 is nice.