Walmart Grocery Delivery

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2020 5:41 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote

Walmart Grocery Delivery

Has anyone used Walmarts grocery delivery service (in the GTA) recently?

Can you please let me know if they have started offering contactless drop off at the door?

Or do they still have the old policy of requiring the customer to interact with the driver to accept the delivery?

I am hoping they do not require a customer to have any interaction with the drivers and that they can just drop the groceries outside the door.

Hoping for some feedback/advice before I place my order.

Thanks very much.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3961 posts
2941 upvotes
GTA
They ring the door bell. Wait in the truck till you open the door and leave right after. Zero contact.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19094 posts
27508 upvotes
ONTARIO
I can't comment on the Walmart's own delivery people, but we've used Instacart to get groceries from Walmart multiple times now and every time they just unload it all to the door (or wherever you specify), get back in the car and then message you that it's delivered and then drive away. Zero contact.
Apr 10, 2020
283 posts
1057 upvotes
BobSagget wrote: I can't comment on the Walmart's own delivery people, but we've used Instacart to get groceries from Walmart multiple times now and every time they just unload it all to the door (or wherever you specify), get back in the car and then message you that it's delivered and then drive away. Zero contact.
How are the prices? Are they slightly different than the ones you see on Walmart Grocery?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15874 posts
13094 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
GeneralStore wrote: How are the prices? Are they slightly different than the ones you see on Walmart Grocery?
They are at least when you use InstaCart to buy @ PC+ Loblaws Group
It’s my understanding that’s part of how InstaCart makes their money.
They mark up the price of individual items on “their version” of the otherwise same websites
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19094 posts
27508 upvotes
ONTARIO
PointsHubby wrote: They are at least when you use InstaCart to buy @ PC+ Loblaws Group
It’s my understanding that’s part of how InstaCart makes their money.
They mark up the price of individual items on “their version” of the otherwise same websites
I don't think that is correct. I've been charged the same as the in-store prices for stuff. I think they make their money from the service fee/delivery fee.
When stuff is on sale in-store, the prices are usually reflected on instacart as well. I also know from buying stuff like ground beef and steak, that the price affixed to the packaging is the same price charged on instacart.

I am not entirely sure what all they make their money from.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15874 posts
13094 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
BobSagget wrote: I don't think that is correct. I've been charged the same as the in-store prices for stuff. I think they make their money from the service fee/delivery fee.
When stuff is on sale in-store, the prices are usually reflected on instacart as well. I also know from buying stuff like ground beef and steak, that the price affixed to the packaging is the same price charged on instacart.

I am not entirely sure what all they make their money from.
Definitely people on RFD who have had issues
Where InstaCart got something wrong...
And then the person was left holding an item they paid for from InstaCart for $ X + Y
So that the receipt they had in hand didn’t match the actual price the store charged

Like this one = anyone-using-instacart-recent-experienc ... #p30715993
SECOND UPDATE: just placed another order to use the credit from above, delivery person left the receipt in the bag, groceries actually cost $59.45 but I was charged $70.63 - most items were cheaper in store as expected, app prices are more. Also, they made substitutes on some of my purchases, one being coffee which I am very picky about. Not too happy about that since its $22 worth of coffee. So, keep that in mind when you use Instacart, you will definitely be paying more on some items for the convenience and they will make substitutions without your authorization. Overall, I am going to pass on purchasing the $99 year Express membership, both orders I made had problems.
I think though, it may depend on each store / chain and whatever agreement they have with InstaCart (Although the above RFDer account seems to have happened at a Walmart location )

And cuz you buy via the InstaCart App of website... THEIR VERSION ... but it looks like the Store’s website, a lot of people don’t initially notice / know about these Nickel & Dime mark ups

Another complaint ... although affiliated / endorsed by PC+ Loblaws Group ... one can not earn PCO Points on Personal Offers on InstaCart Orders

Here’s two US related articles on price differences set by InstaCart

https://particularpantry.com/instacart-review/
https://thegrocerystoreguy.com/why-does ... the-store/
[OP]
Apr 8, 2020
3 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the replies.

I want to use Walmarts own grocery delivery service (not Instacart).

So if I understand this right, the Walmart delivery drivers will unload groceries at the door, ring the doorbell, go to their vehicle, once they see you open door they drive away?
Apr 24, 2005
143 posts
21 upvotes
I've had two Walmart deliveries, same driver both times. When he got out of his truck and started loading up his dolly, we asked from our front door if he could leave the grocery bags on a designated spot (aka a tarp) on the driveway. He was completely amenable with that and we never got closer than 8-10 meters from him during the delivery. Yet my wife managed to have a conversation with him while this was going on... it all sounds completely over the top but it works for us. There's nothing to sign, and no paper receipt (receipt is in the email or online).

We have a porch but there's just too many bags to fit, and we disinfect stuff in the garage, so the driveway works better for us and saves him climbing porch steps.